• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN030: The Reluctant Pikachu and the Exasperated Barrierd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like an awful lot of OOC going on in this episode...it's a little hard to believe Pikachu would all of a sudden get fed up with Ash training another Pokemon, let alone a baby. This could've happened several times over in past series with other Pokemon, and never did, so I'm not really a fan of this being a plot point all of a sudden.

If this is set up for Kangaskhan to reappear, however, that would be pretty interesting.

I want Pikachu to join the Trio.

Already done

AG089.png

I'm just going to say that Pikachu is not really as mature as you think he is.

This is definitely a bit out of character for him, but it's not necessarily impossible for Pikachu to get jealous of another Pokemon, I think it would take a bit more than just Ash deciding to focus on Riolu for the day.

What I think is that something else is going on.

Maybe what if Goh's Raboot is revealed to be a member of the LGBT community in this episode? That could be a first for the anime!

BTW, Ash's Pikachu might be released into the wild in this episode.

Where did this come from?

Well, there's plenty of fanfics that like to go that route when it comes to reimagining Ash's journey. Hopefully something like that doesn't occur here.
I guess it's because, even though I'd like to see Riolu as Ash's best friend, if he were to end his friendship with Pikachu by releasing him into the wild, I'm rather worried that it'd cause a huge outcry among the Pokemon fanbase...

Well, he’s fun loving and likes to tease, but jealous is not something Pikachu is, otherwise it’d have a mental breakdown when Greninja literally changed its appearance to resemble Ash when their bond was so strong.

Considering this moment happened literally 3 episodes prior to Reiko Yoshida's first one and was one of the most hyped moments that should still be relatively fresh in people's minds, it makes this episode's premise all the more frustrating and highlights that this is writer negligence. I mean, even this series has Ash and Pikachu behaving like they were one on several occasions.

Maybe what if Goh's Raboot is revealed to be a member of the LGBT community in this episode? That could be a first for the anime!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMuKZxt5Co

This is definitely a bit out of character for him, but it's not necessarily impossible for Pikachu to get jealous of another Pokemon, I think it would take a bit more than just Ash deciding to focus on Riolu for the day.

What I think is that something else is going on.

Indeed he has been unmature some times, but him beeing jealous cause a baby needs more atention is a thing that should have happened years ago.

Honestly I can see this happen only because of how Riolu treats Pikachu.
Don't know how many of you have kids or little brothers, but even toddlers need correcting.
Thus, maybe Ash tells Pikachu to relax and not take it seriously while Pikachu thinks Riolu needs correcting. Maybe after this Ash responds not in the best way to Pikachu, that rightfully so, gets mad and goes on to have a walk. (I am with my fiancee for 3 years and sometimes when we argue, we walk it off, because saying things in the heat of a moment can be worse, so we can see what Pikachu does as a sign of maturity)
I don't think this is waaay out of character. We can just look at it the same way some parents sometimes argue about said attitude towards a kid.
Maybe this will be the best way to introduce Kangaskhan as a carer of younger and undisciplined pokémon

Some of you are overreacting, but that's nothing new. If I were Pikachu, I'd be pretty pissed if a newly born baby greeted me with a violent push, and then proceeded to stay outside a lot and receive the most training (Pikachu not needing it is irrelevant to its emotions). This is just based on past events; we don't how exactly this episode will start. Is this inconsistent with past series? Not really, seeing as how Ash's babies (Phanphy, Larvitar, Scraggy and Noibat) were pretty harmless. Also, it can't be stressed enough that people who have watched all series are not the target audience and shouldn't get upset every time something doesn't fit their preconceived notions.

The reason for Pikachu getting upset doesn't particularly matter, anyway. The episode is about it and Mimey; let Ash be in the background for once. Oh, and Mimey did receive a backstory last I checked, and it would be forced if Kangaskhan appeared here when it isn't in the title. You don't like the premise? Then don't watch the episode.

Some of you are overreacting, but that's nothing new. If I were Pikachu, I'd be pretty pissed if a newly born baby greeted me with a violent push, and then proceeded to stay outside a lot and receive the most training (Pikachu not needing it is irrelevant to its emotions). This is just based on past events; we don't how exactly this episode will start. Is this inconsistent with past series? Not really, seeing as how Ash's babies (Phanphy, Larvitar, Scraggy and Noibat) were pretty harmless. Also, it can't be stressed enough that people who have watched all series are not the target audience and shouldn't get upset every time something doesn't fit their preconceived notions.

The reason for Pikachu getting upset doesn't particularly matter, anyway. The episode is about it and Mimey; let Ash be in the background for once. Oh, and Mimey did receive a backstory last I checked, and it would be forced if Kangaskhan appeared here when it isn't in the title. You don't like the premise? Then don't watch the episode.
It's amusing when someone brings up the fallacious "it's for the kids" excuse whenever it comes to defending bad or inconsistent writing. Like, what legitimately prevents the writers from delivering a product with quality writing and consistency even if it's for kids? Aren't kids entitled to something that's well written and appealing as well, that they could actually get invested in instead of it being a hit-and-run type of show? If kids supposedly enjoy badly written stuff according to you, wouldn't they enjoy something far more if it's been written well? Instead of dismissing people's arguments, misinterpreting the issue and telling them to not watch something they don't like, maybe try and debate properly.

I thought this and the "new fans are confused" was debunked ages ago...

Last edited:
Some of you are overreacting, but that's nothing new. If I were Pikachu, I'd be pretty pissed if a newly born baby greeted me with a violent push, and then proceeded to stay outside a lot and receive the most training (Pikachu not needing it is irrelevant to its emotions).
You aren’t Pikachu though. Pikachu usually turns into a big brother for baby Pokémon quickly, and it has never had issues with being sidelined in training when thay has happened many times.

Actualiy, JN is one of those series where Pikachu isn’t shafted. It has the most battles in this series, and has been used solo for PWT on many occasions (which happened to the detriment of Ash's Pokemon like Dragonite).

People sharing their opinion isn’t "overreacting", specially since overtly optimistic expectations beyond the bare minimum is not expected for this saga. If we do expect something more and it doesn’t happen you’ll just say we were expecting too much. It’s healthier for people to form their initial opinions strictly with the premise and be pleasantly surprised later, rather than the opposite (remember how Ash was definitely going to get the rainbow ring?

This is just based on past events; we don't how exactly this episode will start. Is this inconsistent with past series? Not really, seeing as how Ash's babies (Phanphy, Larvitar, Scraggy and Noibat) were pretty harmless. Also, it can't be stressed enough that people who have watched all series are not the target audience and shouldn't get upset every time something doesn't fit their preconceived notions.
I admit we don’t know how the episode starts. Things will be different when we get the preview. And it’s not just the babies, Pikachu usually never gets jealous if some Pokémon is blatantly given more attention than him, and this time he’s the one with the most focus in the first place.

And I'd say the main character's personality should remain constant in the show. It should be at least consistent to Sun/Moon. Did those children just disappear when they proceeded from the last episode of SM to the first episode of JN?

The reason for Pikachu getting upset doesn't particularly matter, anyway.
The entire reason the episode is a thing doesn’t matter?

The episode is about it and Mimey; let Ash be in the background for once. Oh, and Mimey did receive a backstory last I checked, and it would be forced if Kangaskhan appeared here when it isn't in the title.
No one has any problems with Pikachu and Mimey focus (in fact, many people are positive because of Mr. Mime. And no one has any issues with Ash being in the background either.

You don't like the premise? Then don't watch the episode.
It sounds a bit condescending to people who don’t share your opinion. Should we turn this into a hive mind of people who like the episode and no one else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom