• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview JN135: Pokémon! I'm Glad I Got to Meet You!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet... what about the Sword & Shield Expansion Saga, the one involves Kubfu & Lord Calyrex? Next entry that involves Gen 9, like how Mohn's whereabout being found on Gen 8? Still no for more actions from Ash's Incineroar, including the debut of G-Melmetal.

My opinion on what a Pokemon Master is (in bold). Basically this is a drabble I wrote a while ago.

The story flashes back to Ash being born and his father leaving the family in order to become a Pokémon Master. A couple of years later, Ash asks his mother where his father went, and she explains. Ash says that he wants to become a Pokémon Master too.

Fast forward to the present, where an Ash in his mid twenties is getting ready to battle in the Champions League final. Pikachu is by his side as always, and the ultimate team comes up to him: Espeon, Sceptile, Infernape, Krookodile, and Greninja. Ash gives a pep talk and says that today is the day when I become a Master. They all put their hands (or paws) in, and Ash says that we are all in this together. A voice comes from behind him: I am too. It's Serena, Ash's wife. He declares that he loves her and they all raise their hands up in the sky.

It turns out that Ash’s final opponent is his own father. Ash’s father, whose name is Red, says that he regrets leaving him, as he never achieved his goal. Ash says that if he has a child of his own, that he will never leave them. The two battle and the final showdown is between Pikachu and Nidoking. Pikachu uses Electro Ball to knock Nidoking off balance and then uses Quick Attack to finish it off. Ash wins and he thanks his team.

A couple of days later there is a party at Ash and Serena’s house and all of their friends, family, rivals, gym leaders, champions, and Pokémon are there. Ash comes up to make a speech.

Ever since I was little, I’ve always dreamed of becoming a Pokémon Master. I didn’t achieve that goal until a couple of days ago, and now I’ve realized what becoming one really means. It’s not about how much you win, or if you lose. It’s the bonds you make with not just your Pokémon, but your friends and family too. My compassion and spirit for every Pokémon, big or small, is what makes me a Master. Through battling for over ten years with my Pokémon, we have achieved the ultimate friendship, especially with my partner Pikachu. On these journeys I have met countless new friends and rivals that have changed my life forever, and on these journeys I have found the love of my life. I want you all to come together and ask yourselves, what makes you a Master? You don’t have to be perfect, everyone has flaws, but just think about the friendships that you have all made with your Pokémon. And so, my journey is over, but a new chapter in our lives is beginning. We have kept this to ourselves so far, I haven’t even told Pikachu yet, but now is the time to share. I’m going to be a father.”

The crowd roars and erupts with congratulations, meanwhile Pikachu stands there in shock. He nuzzles Ash.

A couple of months later Ash is holding his son in his arms. He tells him that he’ll always be there for him and that he loves him more than anything else in the world. Tears of joy start to fall from Ash’s cheeks as both he and Serena hold their newborn child in their arms.

I think this episode is the conclusion of a "Project Mew" trilogy and that the sentence: « Pokemon, I glad I got to meet you! » is said by Goh to Mew.
That would be interesting, because that would imply that this would not be the last episode. I wish The Pokémon Company would be transparent on the show’s future at this point, we should know things like how many episodes are left of Journeys and the next series by now. It doesn’t help that JN132 feels like a finale in multiple ways as well. I just feel uneasy more than anything, since I’m incredibly used to watching this show throughout my life, and I can’t imagine what its future is for the first time ever.

That would be interesting, because that would imply that this would not be the last episode. I wish The Pokémon Company would be transparent on the show’s future at this point, we should know things like how many episodes are left of Journeys and the next series by now. It doesn’t help that JN132 feels like a finale in multiple ways as well. I just feel uneasy more than anything, since I’m incredibly used to watching this show throughout my life, and I can’t imagine what its future is for the first time ever.

If they planned to start a new season a weekend after JN135, they would already announced something at this point (a vague poster at least).

The production issues wouldn't stop the promotion or announcement for a new season starting in December 16 (or even December 23).

Reactions: Jez
If they planned to start a new season a weekend after JN135, they would already announced something at this point (a vague poster at least).

The production issues wouldn't stop the promotion or announcement for a new season starting in December 16 (or even December 23).
It wouldn't be unprecedented for there to be a couple weeks' worth of break between series. So it could easily be that the next series won't start until 2023.

It wouldn't be unprecedented for there to be a couple weeks' worth of break between series. So it could easily be that the next series won't start until 2023.

Has a weeks' worth of break between series happened in Pokemon?

Also, it seems uncommon anime like Pokemon (which lasts all year) take breaks of many weeks between seasons.

Last edited:
The title referring to Goh's potential meeting with Mew would be an interesting twist. It still gives off more of a farewell vibe between Ash and Goh, but I could see Goh saying that after meeting Mew too. It could be a reason why they wanted Goh to work on this Project Mew mission instead of staying to cheer Ash on in the finals.

I don't want to hold onto technicalities about Ash having tougher challenges or not down the line, when narratively speaking this totally looks like his peak point regardless. The "Project Mew trilogy" theory will be my go-to coping mechanism for now, sounds more plausible.

Last edited:

Ookay, since the previous two episodes are about Project Mew, there's absolutely no way Ash's whole journey will be concluded in just this single 20-minute episode... Right?

Ookay, since the previous two episodes are about Project Mew, there's absolutely no way Ash's whole journey will be concluded in just this single 20-minute episode... Right?
I highly doubt it. Granted, I never believed that Ash could be replaced to begin with, but I don't think that either the anime or Ash's time in the anime would end without a lot more hype. We certainly wouldn't be speculating on whether or not that was the case less than a month before the episode airs. They would have announced it well in advance to create some easy hype for the anime.

It's still a weird and unusual situation for the anime to be in, but I still feel a good portion of that has to do with the production problems. If they didn't have those clip shows during the Master Class battles, they would have been able to finish Ash vs. Leon a good month earlier, which would have put Journeys put it more on track with how other series have wrapped up closer to the release of a new generation. It may not be the only reason why they haven't announced a new series and we might not know the exact reason for quite some time. I can't really imagine anyone on staff providing more detailed information about this situation while they're still working on the show. But I still think that's a pretty big and important detail to keep in mind.

While I certainly don't think the show will end, per se (for one thing, I can't believe they'd end the show without giving Team Rocket some solid resolution), I do feel it's going to be going on hiatus for a while. The behind-the-scenes problems are clearly deeply rooted now so they're going to need to sort that out plus it'll give the writers time to decide what they want their next move will be in regards to Satoshi because they've clearly reached an impasse with his character now. After winning the Masters Tournament, I honestly can't believe they'd have him out hitting the Gym trail again.

After winning the Masters Tournament, I honestly can't believe they'd have him out hitting the Gym trail again.

I don't think gyms were ever going to be back in the equation, to be honest. They were barely mentioned in Journeys outside of the appearance of a few gym leaders. Even when Ash did the trials in SM, they were pretty loosely interpreted.

If Ash continues as the protagonist, I think from this point on he's going to have entirely non-gym battle based goals.

I don't think gyms were ever going to be back in the equation, to be honest. They were barely mentioned in Journeys outside of the appearance of a few gym leaders. Even when Ash did the trials in SM, they were pretty loosely interpreted.

If Ash continues as the protagonist, I think from this point on he's going to have entirely non-gym battle based goals.
I don’t think that’s a fair comparison to make. While the Island Trials weren’t brought up often, it was Ash’s goal of the series. They’d go long stretches between it because Alina is so small that had they purely focused on it, it would never fill a series.

As for them not talking about Gyms this series, that’s because they wanted this to be set in all of the regions and as such gave Ash a goal that wouldn’t be tied down to a single region. I think people are jumping the gun In using Journeys as proof of them not doing Gyms anymore when it has an obvious reason for why there wasn’t Gyms in it. Plus Galar suffered as a result of that with half of the Gym Leaders not even appearing at all because of Journeys’ style. We don’t need future series to suffer that kind of thing.

While it wasn't adapted as well as it could have considering how much of an afterthought it felt like, they still did use the Island Challenge for SM, which was basically the Alola version of Gyms. They even stopped adapting the trials after awhile just so that Ash could have a Grand Trial since those were closer to a traditional Gym battle against a Gym Leader. Journeys is so far the only case where they haven't covered the Gym or the equivalent of Gyms from the games. Considering that this is supposed to be an anniversary series and they most likely wanted Ash's goal to fit more with the world tour setup, it's hard to say that they'll never go back to Gyms just from this one series when it's more of an outlier in that regard.

I still wouldn't be surprised if they do give Ash something different to do in the next series instead, but I don't think that Gyms are completely off the table either. I think fans might be overselling the PWC a bit or at least are overthinking about where else the writers can take Ash. His personality and role are pretty flexible to whatever the writers want him to be in any given series. This was arguably always the case from the start of the anime, but it has especially been clear since BW, so I don't think that the writers would necessarily need more time to figure out what they can do with Ash in the next series. Honestly, despite winning the PWC, I don't even know if I'd say that Ash's battle skills were at their peak in this series. Granted, I still need to catch up on the dub and I haven't seen the Master Class battles, but compared to DP and XY, I don't think his battle skills were as noteworthy. Part of this could come down to my issues with Ash's Journeys team though.

Defeating multiple Champions is a big deal and I don't want to dismiss that, but at the same time, it isn't like Ash is only going to be interested in battling Champion level trainers now either. He loves to battle anyone and everyone. It doesn't matter if they're a random nobody like he frequently faced at the start of the PWC or a Champion. Ash will go all out battling against anyone he faces. As I've often said, he isn't going to look down at Gym Leaders or think he's too good for the Gym Challenge now. It's definitely not a guarantee that they'll have Ash do the Gym Challenge again, but I don't think it's impossible or even necessarily unlikely either. If they want to adapt the Victory Road storyline from the games, it would make the most sense to use Ash for it. I don't want them to ignore most of the Paldea characters like they did with Galar. I wouldn't be against having a new character do Gyms while Ash does something else. That would ideally make everyone happy. It would still feel like a bit much to have a new character take on Gyms just because they think Ash is too good for them now and it would still feel out of character for Ash to not want to battle Gym Leaders too, but it would still give them the chance to showcase new characters, Pokemon and locations from the games.

Is there a rule in the Pokémon universe that champions can’t challenge gyms or something? Why is this argument still coming up? The anime can retcon, adapt, and come up with any justification for Ash to challenge gyms again if they want him to.
Because those people project their feelings about the gym challenge onto the series forgetting that the main target demographic is the new kids getting into the series rather than them all while simultaneously not coming up with any kind of convincing replacement that wouldn’t basically involve completely changing Ash’s character. It’s a discussion that we’ve been having since SM ended yet somehow it hasn’t actually changed in 3 years.

I mean I wouldn't be shocked if Ash doesn't do gyms again. I'd like him to but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave him other battle opponents in Paldea instead

At the very least they should leave out the opening and ending themes like a lot of anime do for the last episode. Heck, I think even Pokemon's done a few times...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom