• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE don't make this movie into a word-by-word, line-by-line, scene-by-scene carbon-copy-pasta of the first season. Nostalgia is fine and all (even though it's become a bit stale to me) but I really hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those anime movies that uses short clips of every episode and make a 90-minute" season recap".

I personally don't think it's going to just be a rehash of what we've already seen. Of course that is a possibility (basically anything is at this point since we don't know much) but I just don't see it. The first season is and will probably always be my favorite, but even I'm not super interested in watching a total remake of it. I want to see it portrayed a bit differently, and I hope that's what they're going for based on Ash's slightly altered appearance (the newer eyes, different hat, outfit a little different, etc.)

Honestly, I just want to see the prominent characters from that first season: Brock, Misty, Gary, and Team Rocket. That's the only thing I really, really, REALLY want from this movie right now.

The biggest reason why a 90-minute recap of key events from Kanto would be balls is because Kanto's key events were... balls. The reason it was amazing was all the craziness, which would necessarily have to be removed in order to cover the so-called-"plot" in the given time.

The biggest reason why a 90-minute recap of key events from Kanto would be balls is because Kanto's key events were... balls. The reason it was amazing was all the craziness, which would necessarily have to be removed in order to cover the so-called-"plot" in the given time.

I just pictured Metapod vs. Metapod on the big screen :ROFLMAO:

It only shows that they know each others' names, not that they're friends or closely know each other. According to translated parts of novelization Shigeru and his family are local celebrities, it also says that Satoshi didn't know Dr. Okido that much and know him as an odd fellow.
Fair enough that Shigeru may have just originally intended to be the neighborhood snob for all we know, but given that they have met before (Shigeru would have no reason to just "know" Satoshi's name otherwise) and Shigeru specifically went out of his way to single out and push Satoshi's buttons in the earlier episodes, the childhood flashback later on and Satoshi calling him a childhood friend aren't exactly contradictory.

PLEASE don't make this movie into a word-by-word, line-by-line, scene-by-scene carbon-copy-pasta of the first season. Nostalgia is fine and all (even though it's become a bit stale to me) but I really hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those anime movies that uses short clips of every episode and make a 90-minute" season recap".
Seeing as they gave OS Satoshi a redesign for this film, it's safe to say this isn't going to be the Death and Rebirth of Pocket Monsters because old clips with Satoshi are unusable by default, not to mention OLM's old animation would clash with any new spliced content.

For as far as we know, Misty and Brock could just appear as flashbacks. Only a few of the current kids know about them. The title is nostalgic, but it could mean that Ho-Oh chose Ash, and maybe Ho-Oh would appear in Alola to Ash.

For as far as we know, Misty and Brock could just appear as flashbacks. Only a few of the current kids know about them. The title is nostalgic, but it could mean that Ho-Oh chose Ash, and maybe Ho-Oh would appear in Alola to Ash.
I'm curious as to why you think that it'll take place in Alola, considering they already revealed Satoshi wearing redesigned Kantou clothes. As in, more than just the old outfit with new animation, they went out of their way to make a new design for it. Isn't that a bit much for meager flashbacks? And why doesn't he resemble his Sun and Moon character design, when the other movies tried to stay relatively close to the design reference sheets from their corresponding anime series?

Older versions of Satoshi always legitimately match his current character design (aside from the clothes) whenever they're shown in flashbacks. The fact that he doesn't look like SM Satoshi wearing Kantou clothes may mean something here.

Last edited:
Additionally, Ho-Oh has never dropped a Rainbow Wing in the series before. This is clearly more akin to the Rebuild of Evangelion rather than the Death and Rebirth of Evangelion.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised the reason why they would change the hat logo was to signify viewers and older fans that this was not part of the main series continuity, but rather its own thing.

Additionally, Ho-Oh has never dropped a Rainbow Wing in the series before. This is clearly more akin to the Rebuild of Evangelion rather than the Death and Rebirth of Evangelion.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised the reason why they would change the hat logo was to signify viewers and older fans that this was not part of the main series continuity, but rather its own thing.

I hope that if it works, they do something with it. It could become its own anime.
But it's good to see they realized we older fans exist.
And they need to retcon Best Wishes.

Last edited:
Aww yeah, Serebii.net's just gave an announcement saying that Oha Suta's giving us a new trailer and more information about the film on Thursday.

For as far as we know, Misty and Brock could just appear as flashbacks. Only a few of the current kids know about them.

Yeah, that's something I've been wondering about lately...what if they give Ash different companions this time? Or maybe even NO companions.
Sure, he can't carry the TV show on his own, but what about a movie or two? o_O
Especially when you think about how he's usually front and center with the featured Pokémon and Movie Characters while his companions, the TRio (especially the Trio), and their Pokémon don't get to do much in these things...

Guess we'll find out soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom