• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Moves & Abilities Discussion/Speculation

With Alolan Sandshrew / Sandslash said to be slower, but able to move swiftly "on snow fields and ice" it makes me think we'll get an ice-type equivalent to Electric Terrain, and these guys may get a Hidden Ability similar to Alolan Raichu's Surge Surfer.

OR one of the inherent qualities of "Icy Terrain" is that it boosts the speed of ice-types and Alolan 'shrew/'slash have a Hidden Ability that auto-lays "Icy Terrain" like Tapu Koko's Electric Surge.

With Alolan Sandshrew / Sandslash said to be slower, but able to move swiftly "on snow fields and ice" it makes me think we'll get an ice-type equivalent to Electric Terrain, and these guys may get a Hidden Ability similar to Alolan Raichu's Surge Surfer.

OR one of the inherent qualities of "Icy Terrain" is that it boosts the speed of ice-types and Alolan 'shrew/'slash have a Hidden Ability that auto-lays "Icy Terrain" like Tapu Koko's Electric Surge.

Yeah I suggested a "Speed Skater" ability for Sandslash based on the site's text. It would allow it to always move first on Icy Terrain (assuming we get one) otherwise it could also work in Hail too, I suppose.

It definitely makes sense to do something with it if there's an Icy Terrain and being really slow will be the death of Sandslash with the two 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Fire and no way to overcome the speed :(

Im hoping for that. Hope it has a good effect not like the lame ice fields in regular gyms out of the anime but something more good.

- Why did regular Swampert not get Drizzle as a second ability ? it would be good for it and it's mega form to gain that.

Last edited:
Im hoping for that. Hope it has a good effect not like the lame ice fields in regular gyms out of the anime but something more good.

- Why did regular Swampert not get Drizzle as a second ability ? it would be good for it and it's mega form to gain that.

Starters don't get second abilities, they only get hidden abilities, and Swampert got a well fitting Hidden Ability before it had a Mega.

Also, setting up Swift Swim rain without wasting a turn? Kinda defeats the purpose of having that as Swift Swim's drawback: needing a partner or a wastes turn/moveslot.

I notice there is no mega evolved pokemon with Drizzle. We have Mega Charizard Y, Mega Tyranitar and Mega Abomasnow with weather abilities but no mega with Drizzle.

Anyway, I think we get a decent amount of new moves and abilities. About 15 maybe?

Starters don't get second abilities, they only get hidden abilities, and Swampert got a well fitting Hidden Ability before it had a Mega.

Also, setting up Swift Swim rain without wasting a turn? Kinda defeats the purpose of having that as Swift Swim's drawback: needing a partner or a wastes turn/moveslot.
It's lame a little they dont get secondary abilities.
In its pokedex entry it has nice things. that it can see in murky water.
Maybe a secondary mega would solve one problem(only fast with sap sipper or poison typing and dry skin???)
I know that they need drawbacks to not be to over perfect.
For me it would be strategic for the poke itself but it is like it is.(why so few drizzle users? hope we get some more)

During Rain we get that Dry Skin restores hp it also gains hp when hit by a water type move at the same time.

We have now two abilities that react to two terrains, next would be Misty Terrain, but the amount of reactions is way under that of weather reacting moves and abilities.

What if during rainy weather , electric terrain would sometimes cause unpredictable thurderbolts and rare ball lighting that could hit not only oponent but on your side too also? (Now they could improve Storm Drain and some things to make water types a little bit better to electric, i know we have lighting rod Seaking, many water/ground, but maybe Mud Sport could get priority and block/neutralize the first electric attack in the first turn and then the rest of duration reduce the damage like it did? the same with Water Sport, the reduction of 67% of damage is also very good and 5 turn duration even if the oponent is out)

I notice there is no mega evolved pokemon with Drizzle. We have Mega Charizard Y, Mega Tyranitar and Mega Abomasnow with weather abilities but no mega with Drizzle.

Anyway, I think we get a decent amount of new moves and abilities. About 15 maybe?
Drizzle was the most OP of all the weather abilities during the Weather wars. Either way, I don't think its fair to count Tyranitar and Abomasnow since competitions have a species clause so you can't have more than one weather starter for Sandstorm and Hail in these scenarios.

Drizzle was the most OP of all the weather abilities during the Weather wars. Either way, I don't think its fair to count Tyranitar and Abomasnow since competitions have a species clause so you can't have more than one weather starter for Sandstorm and Hail in these scenarios.
why most OP? we have a Cloud nine- weather negating ability that was also not much used...

why most OP? we have a Cloud nine- weather negating ability that was also not much used...
It's more or less because Kyogre and Water-types got so much more of a benefit from their infinite weather compared to other weathers - weakened Fire, a natural boost to their Water attacks, Water Spout therefore becomes ridiculously overpowered etc.

That's part of the reason for the original nerf, IIRC, and why they gave infinite rain back to Kyogre in a different ability...

It's more or less because Kyogre and Water-types got so much more of a benefit from their infinite weather compared to other weathers - weakened Fire, a natural boost to their Water attacks, Water Spout therefore becomes ridiculously overpowered etc.

That's part of the reason for the original nerf, IIRC, and why they gave infinite rain back to Kyogre in a different ability...

Drought can get fire types as much benefit too... weakened water, boost to fire moves, and Eruption becomes ridiculously boosted (bonus if the eruption user has the Flash Fire boost), and it complements with grass type's solar beam,

Well, there's a natural problem with that - Groudon, the most prominent (and formerly only) user of it didn't gain his Fire type until after the nerf happened so he couldn't get as big of a benefit against Kyogre, and other than that, Eruption's amazing power could only be experienced by teammates. The majority of Eruption users aren't exactly too proficient in themselves outside of the troll Quiet Heatran, and even that's debatable.

And on top of that, the other type that has natural synergy with this weather, Grass-types, become weaker to the type that's boosted - making them just that bit more fragile if they weren't already that way. The team needs a lot more synergy than is viable for a Grass type in the majority of cases where they have access to Chlorophyll or other abilities which activate under the sun. In contrast, many, many Water types (and other mons who could do with the lowered Fire power) get so much more of a benefit and synergy with rain together in a team so long as it remains on the field.

In any case, I don't think heavy storms should have that sort of random element to it... That's putting RNG where it's extremely unnecessary IMO.

during rain thunder is 100% accurate. Till now every drizzle user is weak to electric attacks. Rain needs to be good if you look how many types are weak to fire and how resistant is fire. I dont say make many more with drizzle but one or two megas and one regular wont harm the meta. If they make that during rain a storm cloud could make hit lighting on both competing pokemon then people need to wory more. Plus u can always change the weather from rain into a other or not???

I honestly don't know. I feel like implementing something like that in a meta where half the idea is to be putting the weather on for the benefit of your team would greatly hinder Kyogre more than it already has been in Generation VI, because it could be one of the targets of random Thunder - if that hits, he'll be taking serious damage, even more so than most others on the field! It's not like doing the same thing to extremely harsh sunlight could hinder Groudon in the same way - heat waves don't exactly have a great effect on it.

And sure, you could change the weather... Except you can't, not when Primal Kyogre is involved, anyway. You'd need a Primal Groudon or Mega Rayquaza to force a switch.

That would severely downplay the power of his moves, and even though it'd give him immunity to Earthquake, I think Mega Charizard X is fine as it is. Trade survivability for power.

I hope more for a new fire/dragon line with that.

Kyorge is weak to grass and electric only , but I know what you have on mind, but Drizzle could be used on a weaker new line of pokemon or on a other mega pokemon, to make a bigger choice.

I looked at Palossands on the official pokemon sun and moon site and now I thin if we are getting a new hp drain move? ghost or ground type?

Last edited:
So here's what I would like to see move wise:

- A physical electric attack with power between Wild Charge and Thunder Punch, no drawbacks
- A special rock type attack with at least 80BP
- A dark type move that has a chance to poison the foe, in a similar vein to how Scald can burn.
- A dark type special move with 50BP or under that can fill some learnsets for early game usage.
- Ice and electric variations of Blaze Kick

So I was rewatching the Alola Forms reveal trailer out of sheer 'I should be doing homework but honestly screening homework' boredom, and I realised that when Ninetales attacks Salamence, it doesn't seem to make a Super Effective noise, whereas other moves make one when it's animation hits or immediately afterwards. It could just be me, but maybe it's a new Ice status move? It doesn't really match the ideals of any other ice status. I wouldn't mind a freeze status move just for completion's sake, but hopefully they'd balance it with a low accuracy?

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom