• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New forum?

I have a few honest questions. Was anyone expected to find this site? (I'm a little suspicious of the OP for this thread, personally) Does that have anything to do with the countdown? Where did the members of these new forums come from, were you guys like LiveJournal buddies or something?

Just seems weird for this to pop out of nowhere, as far as I know.

Apparently, the domain name was registered by its current owners on February 9, 2007, and it was pointed to the current server within one week of that date.

So, uh, am I the only one who thought of using a fake password before registering, considering we don't know enough here to trust 'em? ^^o

Actually, my Pastry Sense triggered right when I was about to fill out that part of the form with my usual password. So if there is something up, maybe I have Psychic powers?

I used a different password than I use here and most other places.

What the? O_O

I'm confused....

So what's the deal with that new site? Could it be dangerous to the real BMGf? If so, what do you think they could be planning?

Also, should I register there like some other people did, or would that be a bad idea?

I've dug up a little information on all this, and apparently their servers are on http://www.wildwestdomains.com/ and the domain on GoDaddy.
Found the above through the NSs, so some mod/admin could contact the host's Costumer Support to solve all this. I'm pretty sure they'll understand it's a mocking site.

I don't understand, why would their providers do anything? I don't see how this is different from any of the other squatters for BMG.

This is why:
Except as set forth below, Wild West may also cancel Your use of the Services, after thirty (30) days, if You are using the Services, as determined by Wild West in its sole discretion, in association with spam or morally objectionable activities. Morally objectionable activities will include, but not be limited to: activities designed to defame, embarrass, harm, abuse, threaten, slander or harass third parties;

https://www.wildwestdomains.com/gdshop/agreements.asp?prog_id=wildwestdomains&ci=3301

Of course, that's if they're intending to do any of that.

Found the above through the NSs, so some mod/admin could contact the host's Costumer Support to solve all this. I'm pretty sure they'll understand it's a mocking site.
How is it a mocking site?

Also, mocking sites are allowed on the internet; say hi to my friends, their names are YTMND, *chan, Something Awful, Fark... etc etc. Generally speaking there isn't a clause across hosts for "mocking" sites, but rather content that some hosts deem questionable. From what I've seen on new BMG, there isn't anything that fits.

Of course, that still doesn't change the fact the site in question isn't in fact, a mocking site.

Defame or harm a third party would be closer to what they're doing here. They've taken a domain name very close to ours, to the point where there's a good possibility people could confuse them with us, and could use that to do harm to our reputation and image with people who accidentally find them, and aren't aware that they aren't the real deal.

I agree with Archaic. It seems extremely unlikely that they're just doing this as a joke. They seem very serious about all this. They seem to want us out of the Pokemon community, so they're willing to spread slander to make us look like bad guys.

Defame or harm a third party would be closer to what they're doing here. They've taken a domain name very close to ours, to the point where there's a good possibility people could confuse them with us, and could use that to do harm to our reputation and image with people who accidentally find them, and aren't aware that they aren't the real deal.

I doubt this would actually hurt BMG's reputation that much when their forum cannot be seen by anyone who is not registered. I don't know anyone who would just randomly register at a forum when they cant see what's going on in it.

I don't really see it as a problem. If they're ignored, then eventually they'll go away or at the very least not be an issue for us.

Oh the curious half of me is squirming to check this out, but the lazy half dosn't feel like registering. I'd love to see if they make fun of me, but I doubt it...don't post enough to be mocked.

They seem to have blocked access to everything but one forum which contains one post. Unfortunate.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom