• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelution

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelution

The Official Nintendo Magazine has revealed Ninfia's English name to be Sylveon.

Read more on Bulbanews

Re: Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelu

OK, the English name might be based on the Sylph, here's a description of the Sylph from Wikipedia:
Sylphs are winged air elements or fairies. They ride the wind, flying high with eagles, Sylphs are female and are almost transparent. They're slender and graceful, with large glistening eyes and huge wings. Sylphs befriend and protect other flying creatures, such as birds, moths and butterflies. Sylphs can move as fast as lightning, but they may also drift along on draughts or puffs of wind.

You think the English name is proof that it is a flying type? All of the evolved Eeveelutions have names based on their elements, so this one is most likely not an exception.

One more thing:
XY_Prerelease_Sylveon_attack_1.png

Doesn't that look like feathers surrounding it?

Re: Ninfia's English name revealed: Sylveon to be the English name of the new Eeveelu

Defo a girl only evoution if it is based on what you wrote.

It's still a theory at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt at the moment.

"Sylveon", first and foremost, brings into my mind the latin world "silva", also sometimes appearing as "sylva", which means "forest".
silva - Wiktionary:
"From Proto-Indo-European *swel-, *sel- (“mountain, ridge, forest”). Akin to Proto-Germanic *swiliō, *suliō (“beam, threshold”), whence Old English syll, sylle "beam, large timber used as a foundation for a wall" (Modern English sill). More at sill."

Also, sylvan, which originates from "silva".

Also, nymphs (origin of Japanese and French names) are nature spirits. I don't really know what to make of this type-specuation-wise.

Interesting, no?
Given that Nymphia seems to be derived from Nymph, the most likely derivation of Sylveon is Sylph. Both are kinds of nature spirits in Greek mythology, but here's the odd thing: they don't really have an element in common. Sylphs are air spirits, while nymphs have a bunch of different elemental associations: water, land, underworld and so on. You could just about argue that celestial nymphs have a vague air association, but it doesn't make sense that the developers would choose nymphs if they were going for an "air" theme, when the connection is so tenuous.

So while there is a thematic connection between the names Nymphia and Sylvia - both reference female spirits of Greek mythology - it's nothing that would hint at a type in the way that we're used to Eeveelution types being really obvious from the start.

The attacks shown don't do anything to enlighten us, either, since the ones I can recognize are regular Eevee attacks. One is definitely Trump Card, the Swift-like attack may actually be Last Resort, and the one screencapped above is, I suspect, Double-Edge. Nintendo are being really coy about this Pokémon's type.

Ever get the feeling you're being toyed with?

OK, the English name might be based on the Sylph, here's a description of the Sylph from Wikipedia:
Sylphs are winged air elements or fairies. They ride the wind, flying high with eagles, Sylphs are female and are almost transparent. They're slender and graceful, with large glistening eyes and huge wings. Sylphs befriend and protect other flying creatures, such as birds, moths and butterflies. Sylphs can move as fast as lightning, but they may also drift along on draughts or puffs of wind.

You think the English name is proof that it is a flying type? All of the evolved Eeveelutions have names based on their elements, so this one is most likely not an exception.

I also think it could be a flying type. If its name isn't enough to verify that prediction: It is also the lightest of the Eeveelution family statistically, and fliers are typically lightweight due to their biological characteristics. Sylveon is about as tall as fellow Eeveelution Vaporeon, give or take an inch or so, yet is 12 pounds lighter.

Now that I think about it... Does Sylveon look like Skyla? o_O

The first thing I thought for the name is Sylvain, a french name with origins in a forest deity.

Pretty much linking it back to European mythology and the supposed France motifs of the games. Although that kind of an stretch...

The etimology of "Sylva" though isn't. It's explicitally forest and nature, coming from the Normans And in european folklore, fairies are exactly that, nature spirits. Just like nymphs.
So yeah...

... Actually, that's a lie, the first thing I thought was this shoot 'em up so its typing totally is Dragon/Steel now for me.

Last edited:

Aw, it's not named Fluffeon. D: Oh well. Sylveon sounds good too! I really don't think it looks like a flying type though. Maybe a new Fairy type? That's all I can think of now for the meaning of sylph if it's not a normal type.

I was actually considering adding Fairy along with my Light type to that fake dex I was coming up with awhile back...

sylph (pronounced Sil-f, f can sound like v)
NOUN:
A slim, graceful woman or girl.
In the occult philosophy of Paracelsus, a being that has air as its element.

Slyph is likely where the name comes from. Finally, a Flying-type Eeveelution...

We also got to see how Gligar and Krokorok will look like, it's really exciting!

Sylveon seems weak. welp, flying is not my type.

We also got to see how Gligar and Krokorok will look like, it's really exciting!

Sylveon seems weak. welp, flying is not my type.

Uh, that was Krookodile.

I actually sorta like this name, but it's Japanese name is a bit cuter.

As for type, I'm speculating it's a Flying-type.

I prefer the japanese one, but Sylveon isn't shabby either.

I was expecting Nympheon of Ninfeon but Sylveon sounds cool. With what others said , I'm guess it's gonna be a Flying type.

The more I read the worried I am that they are going to make it only a girl pokemon. Which is a shame because it'd make a cute boy. :)

Well, I'm just gonna throw this out there...
Since a lot of the prefixes in the other languages are saying words such as "spirit", why can't this be the ghost type eevolution?

I wonder what that giant white ball attack was. It looked seriously ambiguous in type.

I'm guessing it's a Flying type, its ribbons look as if they're blowing in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom