• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that the villains aren't really villains... I could go for a complex story where the "bad guys" aren't really bad guys, they just have a different viewpoint that isn't actually evil. It could make for some interesting version differences if you were put on different sides of a conflict with equally valid views.

Oh, that's exactly what I want too! We already had many many villainous teams, I think it would be really "fresh" to have that.

And the protagonist while dealing with these people-

6n3895neh7n11.gif

LMFAO

If there's no villain, then what would we get to get the story moving?

There are many possibilities. It may happen as Oriden suggested.

An apparent "villain" who drives the story by thinking different from us, and in the end, some surprise (plow twist) causes us to come to reach a consensus, and we find out that he was not really a villain, just someone with a different point of view.

How about a Pokémon villain?

The problem is that Pokémon are not "evil", like for example, some Digimon are.

You may realize that even Ultra Necroma just wanted to get its "light" back.

And Pokémon as Malamar (in the XY anime) was being controlled by humans.

So there would always be a need for some human behind it, unless they do something like Mewtwo in the first movie (a Pokémon with a complex conscious driven by some depth motivations, not really evil) or Necrozma (again).

I also kinda hope for some non-pokemon enemies to fight- like Ultra Beasts should have been. It'd be a nice change to have an opponent to fight that isn't a pokemon in any capacity. But with UBs kind of being the ideal for that, I guess that ship is long gone now.

Still like the idea that I had had about a new type of pokemon that would act as support pokemon. Like a kind of mini pokemon that you could attach to a regular pokemon and get stat or move boosts of some sort.

Like Spirits in Smash Ultimate?

You know, I've had a similar idea to this before. In fact, it seems me and Oriden came up with the exact same idea.

@Oriden: are you my long-lost sibling?

Can we please hire an assassin against the guy who came up with the "Pokemon are not evil" thing. That is in no way true for anything at all. It's pribably one of my biggest pet peeves. Mostly it stems from D&D.

Oh, that's exactly what I want too! We already had many many villainous teams, I think it would be really "fresh" to have that.

LMFAO

There are many possibilities. It may happen as Oriden suggested.

An apparent "villain" who drives the story by thinking different from us, and in the end, some surprise (plow twist) causes us to come to reach a consensus, and we find out that he was not really a villain, just someone with a different point of view.

The problem is that Pokémon are not "evil", like for example, some Digimon are.

You may realize that even Ultra Necroma just wanted to get its "light" back.

And Pokémon as Malamar (in the XY anime) was being controlled by humans.

So there would always be a need for some human behind it, unless they do something like Mewtwo in the first movie (a Pokémon with a complex conscious driven by some depth motivations, not really evil) or Necrozma (again).

These Malamar weren't controlled by humans.

These Malamar weren't controlled by humans.

Really? Sorry.

I usually don't watch the anime often, I read in an episode review that they were being controlled by humans (or I understood the review's author in the wrong way).

Were they really "evil" then?

Can we please hire an assassin against the guy who came up with the "Pokemon are not evil" thing. That is in no way true for anything at all. It's pribably one of my biggest pet peeves. Mostly it stems from D&D.

But that is...right.

Pokemon are not like Digimon, for example.

Most of they just do the "evil" things they do because they are being controlled by humans, or for some other reason.

I made that question to see if someone could give an interesting idea for a plot that doesn't depend on a villain. Judging by the answers here I could picture something like that.

About Pokémon being evil: On one hand, I feel like Pokémon are more like animals than humans, so I don't think most operate in a black/white mentality (no, I won't count the anime or spinoffs here). On the other hand, the Pokédex sometimes contradict it, to the point I feel that the Pokédex writer didn't get the memo or just does things his way.

About the anime Malamar: Yup, that one was evil and no humans were involved at all (well, willingly) according to Bulbapedia. Too bad it turned out to be another aborted arc in the anime, along with the GS Ball.

About the anime Malamar: Yup, that one was evil and no humans were involved at all (well, willingly) according to Bulbapedia. Too bad it turned out to be another aborted arc in the anime, along with the GS Ball.

Thank you. And oh, that's really interesting! It was the first "evil" Pokémon, then?

Although they also seemed to be from another planet or something like that , right? And as you said, it looks like it was an unfinished arc in the anime...we'll never know.

On the other hand, the Pokédex sometimes contradict it, to the point I feel that the Pokédex writer didn't get the memo or just does things his way.

You know, Pokédex entries are more like urban legends or something.

Edit
(are* more like...)

Last edited:
Pokemon aren't evil? Ever read any ghost Pokemon pokedex entries?

Or is torturing and kidnapping kids not evil anymore

You know, I've had a similar idea to this before. In fact, it seems me and Oriden came up with the exact same idea.

@Oriden: are you my long-lost sibling?
If I am, I hope that means I can disown my brother. XD

Wasn't that something that only really came up in that one episode of the anime? It's kind of a ridiculously idealistic view that all pokemon are good- I would imagine them to be as neutral as people, with reasons for their actions being just as complex and potentially misguided... or selfish and without regard for others, as the case of "evil" behavior may be.

Thank you. And oh, that's really interesting! It was the first "evil" Pokémon, then?

Although they also seemed to be from another planet or something like that , right? And as you said, it looks like it was an unfinished arc in the anime...we'll never know.
From Malamar's Bulbapedia page:
"An evil, psychopathic Malamar appeared in A Conspiracy to Conquer!. It appeared to be under the control of a woman named "Madame X", but in reality, it had hypnotized an Officer Jenny to pose as Madame X. It also hypnotized Jessie, James, Clemont, Serena, Bonnie, and many Pokémon including Ash's Pikachu. While it was defeated in the end, it escaped after boasting of a grand plan to conquer the world. It reappeared in Facing the Grand Design! along with two other evil Malamar."

I don't think it was from another planet, just hell bent on conquering the world for some reason.

I'm sure it's 100% friendly torture and kidnapping. ;P

Really? Sorry.

I usually don't watch the anime often, I read in an episode review that they were being controlled by humans (or I understood the review's author in the wrong way).

But that is...right.

Most of they just do the "evil" things they do because they are being controlled by humans, or for some other reason.
But that's not a rreal life thing. In real life nobody is "Always Lawful/chaotic/neuteral Good."

As such I'd like there to be some diversity among pokemon alignment.

I don't think it was from another planet, just hell bent on conquering the world for some reason.

Idk. It seemed to me that they were from another planet or something. They said something like that before they left.

That doesn't conflict with being Pokémon and being "evil", though. I'm just pointing out something interesting.

But that's not a rreal life thing. In real life nobody is "Always Lawful/chaotic/neuteral Good."

As such I'd like there to be some diversity among pokemon alignment.

I know that...that's why I put the word "evil" in quotation marks.

You know, Pokédex entries are more like urban legends or something.

Edit
(are* more like...)

I could put several of the dex entries here, if needed. But I think it's common sense that dex entries (mostly) are nothing more than urban legends that humans have created over time about Pokémon, like the ones that we have in real life.

And that's why dex entries like "Pidgey eating Caterpies" are gone, and dex entries like "Drifloon kidnapping kids" does not.

Because the former was a natural description of things, the latter is only a legend.

Last edited:
Really? Sorry.

But that is...right.

Yup, they were just evil pokemon.

Pokémon May be stuff that are morally bad (Gourgeist Singin a happy song as its prey is suffering is sadist), but are they smart enough to tell right from wrong? If yes, that could lead to questions about owning them.

Pokémon May be stuff that are morally bad (Gourgeist Singin a happy song as its prey is suffering is sadist), but are they smart enough to tell right from wrong? If yes, that could lead to questions about owning them.
The Anime certainly thinks so.

I think knowing morality doesn't mean it's wrong for someone to act as a guardian to them. Children often know right from wrong, and they're still under the authority of their parents. (Though I suppose here it kinda depends on how similar training a Pokemon is to raising a child)

If the "Pokédex are urban legends" thing is true, what about the Drifloon girl from USUM? There's something completely off about her. As if she met the only competent Drifloon in the world.

If the "Pokédex are urban legends" thing is true, what about the Drifloon girl from USUM? There's something completely off about her. As if she met the only competent Drifloon in the world.
The one at the school? I thought that was just a case of a ghost girl and her Pokemon.

Even if Pokedex entries are legend the first episode shows spearows trying to kill Ash and Pikachu,and hoopa unbound is evil.

It's intirely plausible to have a Pokemon as a villian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom