• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon R/B what destroyed your childhood?

what destroyed your childhood?

• Total voters
I happened to play red and blue when I was maybe 4 or 5 years old, younger, but I really only mashed on buttons before I was 4. Anyway, Lavender Town was always my favorite and I always founded in intriguing. I thought the theme was brilliant, but then again, I thought anything in pokemon was brilliant (I was always a huge pokemon nerd, thanks to my brothers). But seriously, Lavender Town was probably my favorite because of the story and creepyness of the town.
BTW, nothing broke my childhood. Pokemon is awesome, and always will be to me.

I've known about missingno almost as long as I've known pokemon. my brothers always convinced me to get it once I got to cinnabar. Also the mew glitch, but I messed it up and teleported to Lavender Town instead, so I got a Gengar. Again, wasn't that freaked out.

Oh, Lavender Town, with its infamous droning song of death. It was obviously the most morbid part of Pokemon as they had to change the tune in Gen II... Nothing will ever be scarier in Pokemon as going to Lavender town in Yellow.

I go to the town > hear disturbing music > I'm already unnerved.
Talk to the people and read signs > The huge tower is memorial to all the dead Pokemon
Doing the fly glitch to battle Yellow's Missingno. that I had heard of. > Beat the right trainer to do it.
Go back into town and my menu opens up, as usual for the glitch > I close it...
Missingno. appears on the screen > It flashes crazy colors and blasts an extremely loud screech that terrified me.
Random sounds continued until the Lavender town song started to play, it even had some odd extra beats in it, almost like it was mixed with a glitch song (see my Bulbapedia article on it)... Even creepier than the original.

And that is why Lavender town was what destroyed my childhood. (not really, just terrorized me, lol)

Uhh... Safari Zone almost ruined my childhood. I couldn't find/reach the end to get Surf. I stayed in Fuchsia City for quite a while. I even raised my whole team to level 70. Eventually my neighbor borrowed my game and got Surf for me. If he wasn't there to find Surf for me, I'd either keep trying or... not be in the Pokemon fandom today! xD;

You forgot to add the Poke Ball bouncing off Snorlax -.- It upset me horribly.

And of course, like I mentioned before, the Mewtwo I killed... AND the skeleton Missingno I encountered somewhere near Lavender Town.

Honestly, i think that the thing that upset me the most was just that i couldn't get all of the starters in the same game! I would wander around the grass for hours trying to find Bulbasaur or Squirtle (Always picked Charmander) and when one of my friends told me, i was pretty damn shattered.

I tried to go through Rock Tunnel without Flash once.

Notice how I only said, "once."

Y'all are crazy, lavender town never had the same effect on me that it had on you guys!

However, in g/s/c, the ruins of alph and pokemon tower frequencies were a bit unnerving. It reminded me of numbers stations.

I can honestly say that nothing really harmed my "childhood" because I got into Pokemon rather late (entering junior high at the time) and thus I found Lavender town fascinating.

A lot of my fascination for Pokemon came from it reminding me of Shining Force, a childhood favorite. The animations and the positions of the sprites were very similar, as was the health bar. While playing it, I was reminded of other RPGs I used to love like Dragon Warrior.

Prior to that I largely ignored Pokemon because my obsession was Zelda at the time.

Nothing really I was one of the few that enjoyed the original Lavender Town music. It relaxed me and put me to sleep growing up.

Nothing about it really destroyed my childhood....Missingno was a little unnerving the first time I encountered it, though.
Ugh, Missingno. I was half asleep when my hubby decided to do the item clone glitch and ran into that thing. Yeah, nothing will freak out more than hearing that awful cry when you're dozing off. :scared:

For me, it was Cubone's dead mother. I may have been an adult, but the whole "Team Rocket knowingly killed a Pokemon" just creeped me out. Then there was encountering the thing without the Silph Scope....

I have no idea what're talking about. How do you mean "destroy your childhood"? When I think destroyed childhood I think of something that ether made my life as a child unbearable or something that ruined all good nostalgic feeling of the past. I just don't understand what you mean by that.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom