• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Revealed Gen VII Pokémon discussion!

Favourite Alola Pokemon so far?

• Total voters
The idea of prehistoric Pokemon could actually create plot expansion, with something to do of all these prehistoric Pokemon coming out and terrozing the region or something. That's obviously a weal example, but a saber tooth tiger and other prehistoric/ice age Pokemon would be cool. I'd also like another humanoid Pokemon. What was the last one we had? Something like Lucario or Medicham, but more human-like.

As long as the humanoid Pokemon is masculine in appearance, that's fine. We don't need another waifu.

a fighting/rock or fighting/ground cat or sphinx would make sense?
some cats have fear of water.

The idea of prehistoric Pokemon could actually create plot expansion, with something to do of all these prehistoric Pokemon coming out and terrozing the region or something. That's obviously a weal example, but a saber tooth tiger and other prehistoric/ice age Pokemon would be cool. I'd also like another humanoid Pokemon. What was the last one we had? Something like Lucario or Medicham, but more human-like.

I actually really don't like humanoid Pokemon. They weird me out. Jynx, Machamp, Gardevoir... Their designs and concepts may be cool, but when you think about them being that world's version of animals, it gets strange. It's like this article I read in biology once, that talked about how it could be possible for a human to crossbreed with a monkey or ape because of shared DNA, the same way mules and ligers work. While I don't wanna start an ethics/politics debate about that, I just junk humanoid Pokemon need that something that makes them distinctly NOT human, otherwise you get into that weird "why not?" territory. I mean, look at what's already happened with Gardevoir. Poor thing is forever seen as THE Pokemon waifu, and not to mention things like THIS that come straight out of official Japanese websites:
work_cafe.png.jpg

Oh Japan, why so awkward?

Last edited:
As long as the humanoid Pokemon is masculine in appearance, that's fine. We don't need another waifu.
I think I see where you're coming from, and if so I agree, but maybe some clarification is needed

I actually really don't like humanoid Pokemon. They weird me out. Jynx, Machamp, Gardevoir... Their designs and concepts may be cool, but when you think about them being that world's version of animals, it gets strange. It's like this article I read in biology once, that talked about how it could be possible for a human to crossbreed with a monkey or ape because of shared DNA, the same way mules and ligers work. While I don't wanna start an ethics/politics debate about that, I just junk humanoid Pokemon need that something that makes them distinctly NOT human, otherwise you get into that weird "why not?" territory. I mean, look at what's already happened with Gardevoir. Poor thing is forever seen as THE Pokemon waifu, and not to mention things like THIS that come straight out of official Japanese websites:
work_cafe.png.jpg

I don't mind the Ralts line as I like using Gardevoir and Gallade in competitive battle. I don't like most humanoid looking Pokemon.

Aww, don't be mean to Doduo and Dodrio. It's not their fault they're taunted with the flying type despite being based on flightless birds.
Piplup, Prinplup, and Empoleon already taunt them and their helicopter heads.

I would love to have a rock/electric fossil, that is based on a raptor, pretty frail but fast and good attack and a spinosaurus, but I'm not sure with the type on that one. Rock/Dark, Rock/Fire maybe even rock/fighting?
I'd like to see that.
A raptor has been needing done for a long time. Considering we finally just now got a T-rex after six generations it's about time for a raptor pokemon too.

That and a stegosaurus. rock/grass maybe? The Spinosaurus idea could actually work with rock/dragon.

work_cafe.png.jpg

Not that the whole marrying pokemon is canon or real people lusting after Gardevoir isn't creepy enough. but putting that aside for a moment and remembering that pokemon are monsters first animals second, you're going to get some overlaps considering that they are cartoon monsters. I mean take sphinxes, manticores, fae, some yokai, werewolves, vampires, aliens, and demons into consideration. All of them are considered "monsters" but are also either human passing or have human like attributes.

Though we could really cut back on the "furries" like Loppuny, Lucario, Diggersby, and Delphox. They might fall under the same catagory as the above...but we've just been getting too many of them as of late.

Last edited:
Personally I don't mind humanoid pokemon as long as they aren't basically a weird human, like Mr. Mime, Jinx, Machop, the Hitmons, etc. Loppuny is a little creepy since it feels based specifically on a sex object, but everything else is good in my book.

And not to get into a huge feminism/sexism/genderism whatever discussion, but I will say that femininity and masculinity are traits that can apply to both genders. There are masculine women and feminine men (even straight ones, yes). The idea of applying human ideas of tertiary gender characteristics to pokemon is a bit silly, even if judging anything or anyone on their conformity to gender stereotypes wasn't bad enough. One can prefer 'masculine' or 'feminine' pokemon, but to suggest one is inherently better than the other, suggest a feminine pokemon must be inherently objectified, or shouldn't be made based on ones own preferences for pokemon, is messed up. To a cis girl, a feminine pokemon is a reflection of herself and her tastes, it's not some prospective sex object. Sure, there are people that will see it that way, but it isn't fair to say she can't have a feminine pokemon, just because cis guys are going to rule 34 it.

I also don't like must humanoid Pokemon unless they have something that really sets them apart or I really get used to them so I don't think of them as human like. I really like Kirlia, but I don't think its very human like and its very small, but I can see Gardevoir being an issue. Totally agree there are some big issues with Lopunny, and they didn't make it any better with how its mega looks. Sort of related to this I also don't prefer Pokemon that stand on two legs especially if they weren't on two legs before evolving or are based on an animal that wouldn't be on two legs.

I also read earlier some people talking about seeing a new bird type for gen VII in the trailer. I might be totally looking at the wrong thing, but if its the drawing in the end of the video, i'm pretty sure its a Fletching isn't it? If it is something else, will someone please show me because I am curious what people are talking about

Monsters have taken many different shapes throughout mythology, and some of them do include humanoid creatures like the aforementioned werewolves or manticores. Pokémon having humanoid designs is par the course as many movies, myths, games (especially other mon franchises like Yokai Watch, Digimon or Monster Rancher), books, comics, and so on have those type of creatures and there's no reason for them to not tap into that element for their new monster designs as those can be just as creative as their more animalistic counterparts.

Speaking of people not liking humanoid pokemon, for some reason a lot of people seem not to like object-based or food-based pokemon either, like Rotom, Honedge, Vanilluxe, Klefki, Garbodour etc. I don't get the hate, myself.

Speaking of people not liking humanoid pokemon, for some reason a lot of people seem not to like object-based or food-based pokemon either, like Rotom, Honedge, Vanilluxe, Klefki, Garbodour etc. I don't get the hate, myself.

See, I don't have a problem with those either. It's like, I imagine that someone once saw a Chingling, and thought "you know what? I could mimic that sound and make a similar object out of metal." It's no different than how airplanes resemble soaring birds or how a computer mouse vaguely resembles an actual mouse (that one may be a stretch, but you get my point). Everyday objects are based off real-life animals all the time. Just because a Pokemon is based off of an inanimate object, doesn't mean it didn't come first in the Pokemon world.

Confirmed new Pikaclone is a Steel/Electric type mouse that resembles a computer mouse. Get ready for it guys.
What a fantastic typing for the pika clone as well, I love the idea! Maybe it could also....evolve??? Gamefreak seems to give the clones the cold shoulder all the time, but maybe this time it could be different!

^That's a little sexist, IMO.
But I want husbando. :[ Not waifu.
This makes Machoke being my favorite fighting type just seem sketch. Japan why you do this to me.

I tend to like all pokemon designs after a certain point. Unless they bother me on an artistic level that is (like tympole.. that thing's eyes and eyebrows still bother me).

People hate klefki for being keys. Klefki is adorable and I want one. If I could get a klefki key chain someday I would be SO happy.

Back
Top Bottom