• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP04: A Togepi Mirage!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
Japanese Episode AG 44: "Toward the Mirage! Togepi's Paradise"
American Episode 316: "The Togepi Mirage"

1002.jpg

Kids' WB!, 10:00am ET
The big Misty two-parter continues this week as everyone unites to defeat Hansen. This episode promises to be better than last week's as it contains more than its fair share of surprises.

By the way, One Piece continues on the Fox Box today at 9:30am ET. The Marines...er, I mean Navy, wants you to watch!

Though this episode is probably one of the most spoiled episodes in the series, please refrain from giving too much away since there are still some people here who don't know about the various surprises that await in this episode.

Last edited:
One good thing about this ep: The annoying Egg finally leaves! I'll probably have some comments later if I can remember what happened in the dub, since I'm leaving to go somewhere at 1. If I know YTV, they'll probably have the first part on or maybe "Let Bagons be Bagons", since they play the eps in the actual order.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Why does Togepi/Togetic have to leave? ;-;

Pretty sad yes.....I just watched it and I nearly cried watching Togetic leave...but everytime Togepi protected them it said Togepi used Safeguard hmmm from what I know safeguard protects from status thing not attacks they probably got it confused with Protect...

Safeguard works differently in the anime, it seems. Lugia used it to protect the group from falling debris back in the Lugia saga.

Oh okay I didn't know that, *bonks myself with a mallet*oh well it was still a very good episode that made me sad but very good alltogether I give it a 9/10

I have a question about the very basis of these episodes--why did they have to find a new ruler at that time? What was wrong with the current king? He seemed to be ok to me...

And if the king knew Hansen was trouble, as established last ep, why didn't he do anything about it?

AND SINCE WHEN HAVE TOGEPI COME FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION?!?! Misty's Togepi came from a CAVE that had ancient creatures lurking in it! We all *saw* it!

So anyway, have TR always wanted to foment revolution like that? (of course, if they tried it on Giovanni they'd end up, ya know, dead, so...) And Hansen had four other grunts in that scene, yet we never saw them before and we never see them again. So were they...a mirage? *cough*

Oh yes, and just to point out, by this kingdom's logic, the next rulers should be Pikachu and Clefairy from Magical Pokemon Journey.

My guess is that the king had no proof. They probably had some law about needing proof, like in our legal system.

Um, the egg came from another dimension and landed in the cave? What's so hard to figure out? If it came from another dimension, physical barriers are obviously no obstacle.

This is the best episode of the entire series.

Nah, I just love the episode. I would never watch the dub version of it, just like i wouldn't watch the arlong arc of One Piece (my personal fave) in english.

Yeah, it is a great episode. I've already seen it about fifty times in Japanese, so there were no surprises plotwise or anything...

I was angry that they edited the music. ;_; Particularly the music when Togetic leaves. (It originally had music from Pokémon 4, and 4Kids replaced it with something else that didn't seem as emotional.)

Has anyone noticed that they now have special staff for the English version in the department of 'Music Editing'? >.< They have for a while, but still... I find that a bit weird. o_O;

Um.... Where's the montage? Someone call the cops, we've lost a montage...

Honestly. How can they NOT give Togepi a montage! Butterfree was in less than 15 eps and it got a montage, Togepi was in over a hundred.

Total lack of Ash/Misty Chemistry there at the end too. Not even a slight inkling of it.

Good in the sense that it wasn't the regular sort of episode. Bad in the sense that everything was done wrong.

5/10.

Whoa.. This was a truly spectacular show. I've been very pleased with the past few episodes with each one getting better and better (plot-wise).
I would give the combined episodes 11 out of 10, but the fact that Togetic had to leave the show made it bittersweet so I'm giving it a 10/10 (thats still perfect right!?).

Oh if I could just go into detail about how amazing the battles were and all the events that happened over the past two episodes, I wouldn't know where to begin.

The hilarious thing is, this episode more or less plays into everything the gang at Pokemopolis has been saying for years and years, which almost makes me suspect some Japanese writers may have somehow gotten a gist of the site itself.

Consider this:
1) Togepi really DO live off of the vitality of others, as seen with the starving Togepi in the mirage.
2) When Togepi has sucked enough energy from Misty, it evolves into a demiGod-like form.
3) Togepi really IS otherworldly, and not just the innocent little Normal-Type it's been masquerading as.
4) The Togepi mirage looks pretty hellish. They say it didn't always look like that, but c'mon . . .
5) Togetic basically ends up being the puppet ruler of an entire country - the King/Queen must preserve the Togepi mirage, and Togetic is the ruler of the Togepi mirage.

So, yeah . . . I was cracking up during the whole episode.Honestly. How can they NOT give Togepi a montage! Butterfree was in less than 15 eps and it got a montage, Togepi was in over a hundred.

The difference being that Butterfree actually DID stuff. Togepi just got carried around by Misty, and occasionally (Like once every 30 episodes) used Metrenome to act as Dues Ex Machina.

Thank goodness Togepi is gone. It had potential to be used as an interesting Pokemon if Misty had actually taken the time to develop it's powers instead of babying it. But then again, considering that the Johto series could barely get the human characters right, it's no suprise they dropped the ball when it came to the Pokemon, too.

Aweome eppy. :D

Brock: "Give your sisters my best!"
Misty: "Yeah...right."

XD

Hansen's and Shedinja's dub voices were perfect (of course this applies to the previous episode too), Misty's Gyarados was awesome...great two-parter overall. :D

Showing Misty having a gyarados shows that she matured because Misty didn't like gyarados in earlier episodes. It was sad when togepi left, but i wasn't really a fan of it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, Geodude.

That was a great scene!

And I really loved this episode! Both this episode, and the one before it were great, because not only did Misty come back, but we also found out a lot about Togepi too. One of the things I liked about this episode though was that it seemed to have that special writers' touch to it. I mean, I never would've thought that Togepi could fly, or that they lived in another dimension. And with that said, this episode was very interesting, from beginning to end. I loved all the battles they had in this episode too! They were really good! Of course, when Misty brought out her Gyarados, I was so surprised, cause I didn't expect it to be in the episode. And it was really cool how it used Flamethrower! The best part of this episode was when Togetic had to leave though. And after seeing it so much in the show, I didn't want it to leave, especially not after it just evolved. But, I have to say, they gave it a very good farewell, cause the scenes when Togetic was leaving were so emotional. And it was really sad when Misty was saying goodbye to it! Oh, and after Togetic left with all the Togepi, I didn't expect to see any more Togepi, so I was happy to see that one Togepi. And I thought it was great that Princess Sarah got the Togepi she needed for the ceremony! Oh, and I loved the ending of this episode! And it was cool how Misty said a little something to everyone at the end! I really loved the part the part when Misty said something to Ash like, "Get first place in the Hoenn Leage" and Ash said, "Of course! What else?". That was funny! LOL. XD And overall, this episode was one of the best ones they've made! I enjoyed every bit of it too! :-D

Rating: 10 out of 10

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 20 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom