• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP45: Sky High Gym Battle!

Toraph Bishop said:
Not buying that battle. Groyle, took hit after hit after hit. Altaria, KOed by ONE Leaf Blade and a slam to the ground.
Wrong. KOed by two or three Bullet Seeds, THEN a Leaf Blade into the ground.

Geodude said:
Wrong. KOed by two or three Bullet Seeds, THEN a Leaf Blade into the ground.
Well wouldn't it be alot tougher for Groyvle, to win, did Alteria even use up any energy?

Toraph Bishop said:
Not buying that battle. Groyle, took hit after hit after hit. Altaria, KOed by ONE Leaf Blade and a slam to the ground.
It's the same as how Charizard could ko practically anything with a successful Seismic Toss. You get something to crash into the ground at high speed from a great height and not much will stand up to it regardless of the element type of the attack that was used. Heck a String Shot could do it if the user could swing a pokemon stuck on it down hard enough. ^_^

Pikachu, wasted energy and Koed after a Hydro Pump. Pellipper, was unharmed until taken ONE hit.
But that oen hit happened to be Pikachu using Thunder with all its remaining power. It being the strongest Electric attack+coming from Ash's Pikachu+being super effective+Pelliper being caught off guard=completely understandable win. :)

Swellow, takes quite a few hits. Shiny Swellow, down with one ONE Wing Attack.
This is how I see it:

1. Winona's Swellow previously got a HUGE slash across the chest from Grovyle. And though it didn't work too well it also got hit earlier by a Wing Attack.
2. It had likely been drained considerably from using so many attacks. Especially the Hyper Beams (only one of which hit). Remember that episode with the Mareep where Ash had Pikachu keep avoiding attacks until the Mareep simply collapsed on its own?
3. Ash's Swellow in particular is known for its extreme endurance.
4. Ever wonder why head-on collissions are so disasterous with cars? You have two objects going toward each other instead of one going toward another, hence the energy in the impact is much greater. Ash's Swellow went up while Winona's went down. However, Ash's knew to brace for the attack whereas Winona's was caught off guard and hit right in the chest. Being able to brace for an impact alone can greatly alter how much damage one takes in a fight.

Zhen Lin said:
I'm pretty sure every single episode that has ever been made for TV has been animated by Team Ota. (Hoso specials are an exception.) I think the team isn't as important as the art director - and Pokémon has had many - 40 or more of them, in fact.

But you are correct for picking up a consistency between those episodes. A list of art directors for the episodes you mentioned:
AG056 "Going, Going, Yawn!" 広岡歳仁 Toshihito Hirooka
AG061 "Disaster of Disguise" 広岡歳仁 Toshihito Hirooka
AG066 "Exploud and Clear!" 徳田夢之介 Yumenosuke Tokuda
AG075 "Whiscash and Ash" 徳田夢之介 Yumenosuke Tokuda
AG085 "Sky High Gym Battle!" 徳田夢之介 Yumenosuke Tokuda
AG097 "Groudon vs. Kyogre (part 1)" 徳田夢之介 Yumenosuke Tokuda
AG098 "Groudon vs. Kyogre (part 2)" 上石忠太 Kamiishi Chūta 杉本光司 Kōji Sugimoto 田中薫 Kaoru Tanaka

(IIRC, people complained about difference in quality of animation between AG098 and AG097.)

If it is indeed Team Ota, then it must be different PEOPLE in Team Ota, because there are a lot of different animation and drawing styles in the episodes. Compare this episode to the two Roxanne episodes. Both of the latter are done by the s*it people. The same people did the Tetsuya battle. *nod*

Same team, but different people. Like you said. ^^ Just thought I'd point out some examples. XD

Was I the only one who noticed that all of Ash's Pokémon killed Winona's in one hit? The only one that seemed like a fair battle to me was Pelipper vs. Pikachu. I was sad to see we went back to the uber ash stuff.

<3 Winona.

Well, my review's kinda late everyone (lol).

Sorry about that....

Anyway, here's my review of this episode (I have to shorten it though, cause I still need to do my review of the newest episode):

This episode was really good! I think Ash had a great strategy with each of Winona's Pokemon! And he seemed like he knew just what to do in whatever situation Winona put him in. I think my favorite part of the episode was when Ash had Swellow dive down like that, and then hit Winona's Swellow with a Wing Attack. That was really cool!! And I also liked the song that was playing during that scene. Does anyone know what the name of it is? I've heard it in some of the episodes before, I think, but I don't know what the song's called. Anyway, overall, I really loved this episode, it was cool, and very exciting.

Rating: 10 out 10

Hitchi said:
Was I the only one who noticed that all of Ash's Pokémon killed Winona's in one hit? The only one that seemed like a fair battle to me was Pelipper vs. Pikachu. I was sad to see we went back to the uber ash stuff.
You must have missed a few things then.

Altaria: Got hit with a few blasts of Bullet Seed, and spent a lot of energy keeping up with Grovyle's dodging. Also, slamming it into the earth from on high was much like Ash's Charizard's Seismic Toss in effect. You toss an object down with force from high up and not much is going to be able to stand afterwards.

Swellow: Got a heavy hit from Grovyle before taking it down. Was also hit by Ash's Swellow's Wing Attack early in their battle (just because Winona's Swellow didn't react much didn't mean it had taken no damage).

Anyone else think that Ash looked a lot madder than he sounded....
In the raw Satoshi's anger matches better with the scenes than Ash did in the dub IMO

Yeah, I agree, Toto.

Ash did look a lot madder than he sounded....

And I guess the reason why is because Satoshi's voice is different than Ash's or something. So, anyway, they make the animation to match Satoshi's voice.

LOL.

XD

Well I think his voice actor is capable of sounding madder than she made him sound.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom