• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Swearing, Cursing, Cussing...

Whatever. All I have left to say to you is that it's possible for us to disagree without you referring to my opinion as "ridiculous". I've done nothing of the sort to you, as far as I'm aware.

The notion of it wasn't your opinion, it was the idea of that opinion that many share. If I wanted to say your opinion itself was ridiculous, I would have done so more blatantly.

The last two years I've really tried to keep it to a minimum. For about 3 years during college I would swear every other sentence basically, and had a terrible knack for using that dreaded C-word (even in general conversation), now a days I try and substitute them for words like "damn" or "shoot" lol. It rarely works trying to use substitute words, but it's worth the effort to one day hopefully not swear as much haha.

My boyfriend has a rule that he never swears 'cause he doesn't see the point and it's "rude", although the other day he said the C-word off of impulse and I was shocked hahaha.

I don't really curse that much, I was raised in an environment in which I could get punished by my parents for even saying words like 'shit', which doesn't really pass off as a curse word. When I was transferred from a private school to a public one, I was punched in the face by these new words, which sort of fascinated me for some reason. So I tended to use these words in order to look tough.

I only curse in front of people who don't judge me for it, like my friends, but not my family, for some reason. My family's always been judgmental, and all of them hold high expectations for me, which sort of annoys me. But, yeah, there you go.

I generally curse a lot when I'm pissed off or if I just whacked my hand against something on accident or something like that. My parents hate when I curse and bitch me out about it even though I'm 33. Maybe out of some stupid sense of rebellion I tend to curse more around them than anyone else (not on purpose mind you, I just notice that this tends to happen after I've said something, who knows why). :p

Generally speaking though, in normal conversation I tend to only use them when I'm talking about something I don't like or frustrates me, like "I fucking hate math" (because I am absolute rubbish at math). It doesn't really bother me when other people curse except when they are literally doing it every other word, like my cousin: "I fucking went to the fucking store motherfucker." I'm not even exaggerating, he could literally be talking about going to the store and it's every other word. It's not the curse words themselves that bother me, it's just the repetitiveness. Like, I had the same problem with a philosophy professor I had once, who also literally said "um" or "OK" every other word: "Blah blah um blah blah OK? Blah OK? Blah blah um OK?" Both of those situations drive me nuts just from the repetitiveness.

As for the words themselves, I don't really have any "off-limit" words. Well, except like racially-related ones, if those count. Not sure they're curse words per se? I dunno. The c-word used to bother me a ton like a decade and a half ago for some odd reason but I don't really care anymore. Sometimes I'll curse in Japanese (which doesn't really have any actual curse words so I don't know if it counts), but if I'm really really really annoyed I'll curse in Spanish (my first language).

I...have had a few bad tendencies to take the Lord's name in vain whenever I get frustrated...this was all private though.

I tune it to the environment. I try not to use any "heavy" swears on here, although I guess the weight of certain swears is somewhat up to personal judgment. "Bloody," for instance; I like that one, and being American, I don't consider it to be very heavy. It's pretty much the same for when I am at work, unless I get really frustrated, although I am trying to work on that (it's a pretty casual workplace though, and all of my coworkers do it too so it's not a *huge* deal). Around the house, I am significantly more loose, and when I am just with my girlfriend, there are no restrictions whatsoever because she doesn't care how much I curse. That's when Sailor Endolise comes out. :p

Until around the age of 18/19 I swore very rarely. These days I swear too much, but I'm ok with that. I very partial to "shit", "fuck", "c***" and "bastard". And also horribly offensive words that aren't technically swears, like being called "retarded" is a bit shit, being called a "waterhead" is fucking horrible.

I sometimes use the swear words from Farscape.

Was always told that people only swear because they can't think of an appropriate word for the situation.

That being said, some 'bad' words have their place IMO. Certain words just sound nasty, and can be useful in certain circumstances.

It primarily comes up in moments when I'm a little ticked off and only when I'm by myself. It's usually "fuck" but anything else could splurt out. Aside from "c***", that's the one I steer clear from. Gosh and damn are fair game to me.

I curse pretty often. It's fair to say hourly, even, though most of the time it's just in my head. (Does that count?)

I also tend to use a lot of words that aren't necessarily curse-words, but have foul meanings anyway. Typically I use them not because I'm necessarily angry at anyone, but because I've become so accustomed to using them in any situation where I make a little mistake. I dunno why I started though, really. I guess just because I thought I was being edgy and rebellious by using them? Sounds about right.

Always aware of who I'm cursing around, though - would feel pretty bad if I mad someone uncomfortable or exposed them to vulgar language. Thing I hate the most, honestly, is when I'm out with friends or see people just cursing up a storm without a care. I get that there's freedom of speech and all that, but still, doesn't hurt to be a little considerate. :s

I only curse when I talk to most family members (those who do the same) and close friends (offline and online alike). And of course we don't curse on each other, we just use it as a way to let our feelings out from time to time. My family never had trouble with it, although they avoided cursing in front of me until 2010.

I never swear. If I'm REALLY furious I might say "I'm p***** off" or something and that's where it ends. I hate swearing and it's so vulgar, and so are the people who do it.

I say "retard" or "retarded" a lot, but in a jokey way. I use it to describe politicians mainly, and about 90% of drivers on the road. But you won't catch me using it on children or incompetent people.

I swear a lot, especially when playing video games during chase scenes and boss fights, but also when I'm hurt or make a mistake or when I'm impressed with something or... well almost always :p I never swear with diseases though, as is sometimes done in my country.

Pretty much thanks to the internet...but mostly this site...I curse an awful lot. I do manage to control myself around children though.

Cursing doesn't really bother me, though I do tend to watch myself depending on who I'm around. I won't swear around children just because I don't want them to pick up the words from me; just because I picked up those words when I was a kid doesn't mean I want to be the one responsible for teaching them to someone else's kid. I've been cursing a lot more lately, but I'm also trying to watch myself so I don't slip up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

If by curse words you mean like, Avada Kedavra. . .

In all seriousness, though--it doesn't bother me at all, but I only curse when with friends. Or when ranting/fangirling online, lol.

I try not to swear now. I use swear a lot when I was younger but now I am making the effort not to. It is a bad habit.

Around most people I swear only when I feel its the best way to express what I mean/am feeling lol. Around my closest friend/when playing online with said friend, though.....well, I use 'Fuck' just a little too much lol.

Back
Top Bottom