• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

the seven original ultra beasts are the seven deadly sins

petilil

クイン & チュリネ
Reaction score
okay hi hello hi
i realised this a while back and never really told anyone about it because i figured someone else had already figured it out but idk
so i was thinking about the 7 original ultra beasts from sm, right
and i was thinking how guzzlord is called the gluttonous pokemon, right?
well
i realised the 7 original ultra beasts each represent one of the seven deadly sins.
-
nihilego - envy. it acts like a little girl because it wants to be one and be seen as one.
buzzwole - pride. have you seen its muscles? it loves to show them off.
pheromosa - lust. i don't think i have to explain.
xurkitree - greed. it takes every ounce of electricity for itself.
celesteela - sloth. it just kinda... sits in the ground for years at a time.
kartana - wrath. look at it. it's a fighter.
guzzlord - glutton. this is also self-explanatory.
-
i could just be overthinking things but at the same time this seems too specific to be a coincidence.
what are your thoughts?

Most of these feel like a stretch.

nihilego - envy. it acts like a little girl because it wants to be one and be seen as one.
If anything it probably 'acts like a little girl' because it's the easiest way for it to get victims: by acting like a sweet, innocent thing. Something young. It would attract anything that has any sort of parental instinct. It's not envious, it's a parasitic predator.
This one works. It is a pretty show-offy body builder.
Why, because it's 'female shaped'? I really hate this common idea that lust has to be feminine. I see thirsty men faaaar more often than women. :| Sorry but this really irritates me. On top of that, there's nothing lusty or sexual about Pheromosa's design and behaviors. Its known for being super fast, and not touching anything in our world because it perceives our world as unclean. If anything Pheromosa is another pride because of vanity. If you wanna slap lust on a femenine pokemon; Salazzle says hello.
Greed implies it's doing it for unnecessary reasons. It's a creature made of electrical wires. It comes from a world of constant thunder storms and lightning strikes. If anything it's also gluttony because it's probably feeding off all that electricity. Any electricity it's taking in the pokemon world is probably being taken because it naturally consumes HUGE amounts of electricity. Some of the Xurkitree in the background of Ultra Plant are FREAKING HUGE. These things probably eat tons while they're still growing even.
It's pokedex entry in sun says it's seen flying across the sky at high speeds. Ultra Crater, its home dimension, is constantly wracked with earthquakes caused by these creatures rocketing into the sky. It's a bamboo rocket woman. I do not picture it being sedentary. Maybe it stays put while it's growing into its full form but... it's a rocket. Rockets go fast.
Yeah not even close. Dex entries state it doesn't attack enemies on its own. It's design is based on origami foldings, which is not exactly a wrathful practice. It's quite zen actually. Also, Kartana's homeworld is literally a freaking zen garden. Kartana couldn't be any LESS wrathful if it tried.
This one also works since eating is basically all guzzlord is.

So yeah, ignoring the fact there are four more ultra beasts your comparisons aren't really near on the mark about them at all for the most part.

Why, because it's 'female shaped'? I really hate this common idea that lust has to be feminine. I see thirsty men faaaar more often than women. :| Sorry but this really irritates me. On top of that, there's nothing lusty or sexual about Pheromosa's design and behaviors. Its known for being super fast, and not touching anything in our world because it perceives our world as unclean. If anything Pheromosa is another pride because of vanity. If you wanna slap lust on a femenine pokemon; Salazzle says hello.

Even though I agree that Pride fits it better, Pheromosa isn’t labelled as lust for simply being feminine:
(From the Sun/Moon Website)
It is said that any Pokémon that sees UB-02 Beauty, regardless of its own gender, will become infatuated with it and lose the will to battle. The exact reason for this reaction—whether it’s the result of an unidentified pheromone exuded by UB-02 Beauty, or a hypnotic effect induced by its appearance—has not been determined.

I personally think that the theory happens to have some holes, and is more like a happy little coincidence than anything else.

I totally forgot it had different information on the sun moon website, lol. I disagreed with it then too. I can't personally consider it canon since I don't see it mentioned anywhere in game... not in the dex nor in an ability since it only has beast boost.

I totally forgot it had different information on the sun moon website, lol. I disagreed with it then too. I can't personally consider it canon since I don't see it mentioned anywhere in game... not in the dex nor in an ability since it only has beast boost.
Actually it is mentioned in-game. Wicke can tell you about UBs if you ask her in the post-game.

Wicke said:
UB-02. Code name: "Beauty." Properly known as Pheromosa. This UB was sighted for the first time following the incidents at Aether Foundation. This UB can reach speeds exceeding 120 mph in just an instant. This speed is greater than any other living creature that has been discovered to date. But its most distinctive features may in fact be its beauty and its powerful pheromones. Most any creature that squares off against a Pheromosa becomes confused, as if struck by the beast's beauty, and loses the will to fight. It is still a subject of research, but it's thought that Pheromosa may possess some sort of organ able to produce a pheromonal substance previously unknown to science.

I mean... the definition of canon is coming from an official source, and the website is an official source so it’s objectively canon.

Canon= Objective unaltered fact
Fanon= Fan headcanon that can be changed.

I’m sometimes bothered by people calling “X isn’t canon because I don’t like it!” because people don’t get to decide what’s canon. It’s a pet peeve of mine now...

I know what canon is, thanks.

I just find it weird that the pokemon itself never shows these traits. Maybe it was just because of gamefreak's handling of the UBs but there's never a point where ANYTHING stops and can't do anything because Pheromosa is so beautiful or because of its pheromones. Not even that cutscene in sun and moon when the beasts showed up on the islands and squared off with the Kahunas. The Tapu and the Kahuna had no issue dealing with it. :\ Sorry if this bothers you, it just... it's kind of a canon limbo of "show don't tell" for me.

I know what canon is, thanks.

I just find it weird that the pokemon itself never shows these traits. Maybe it was just because of gamefreak's handling of the UBs but there's never a point where ANYTHING stops and can't do anything because Pheromosa is so beautiful or because of its pheromones. Not even that cutscene in sun and moon when the beasts showed up on the islands and squared off with the Kahunas. The Tapu and the Kahuna had no issue dealing with it. :\ Sorry if this bothers you, it just... it's kind of a canon limbo of "show don't tell" for me.
It's called "Gameplay and Story Segregation", and it affects most RPGs, not only Pokémon. Also, we don't know if they had no issue with her, since they didn't even show her battle against Olivia, which was a missed opportunity.

Yeah I know, sorry for seeming hostile or anything. I'm having a bit of a mental roller coaster because I probably need stronger anxiety medications so I react to things harder than I should and "women = lust always" is one of my big tics.

I agree, it's a super missed opportunity for the ultra beasts. Honestly I wish the whole unleased UBs could have been a plot point or at least required us to go do something at each island so we could SEE the UBs running around/being dealt with. LIke it would have been great if when they were unleashed someone picks the kids up and tells them the Tapus need something from their shrine/temple things in order to help close wormholes so no more beasts hopped out.

They also totally should have had Ultra Beasts get different abilities once they're caught... Beast Boost could have been an equivalent of like how certain animals puff up when feeling threatened or scared or something. And then once caught and more comfortable with their trainer to back them up they could have normal abilities.

Yeah I know, sorry for seeming hostile or anything. I'm having a bit of a mental roller coaster because I probably need stronger anxiety medications so I react to things harder than I should and "women = lust always" is one of my big tics.
I can understand that. I can also look hostile here if I'm stressed or anxious, and I have had to apologize for that. Doesn't help that my anxiety medication only helps me to sleep.

On the "woman=lust" thing, yeah, that's an unfortunate stereotype, specially when I have seen more lustful guys than girls.

I agree, it's a super missed opportunity for the ultra beasts. Honestly I wish the whole unleased UBs could have been a plot point or at least required us to go do something at each island so we could SEE the UBs running around/being dealt with. LIke it would have been great if when they were unleashed someone picks the kids up and tells them the Tapus need something from their shrine/temple things in order to help close wormholes so no more beasts hopped out.
That's better than my idea of just showing the battle against the UBs. And it made more sense than just making the Ultra Wormhole close when you beat Lusamine. And it would integrate the other Tapus to the plot instead of using only Koko.

And it'd would have given us a reason to wander in that desert to find Tapu Bulu's shrine. And while we were on this little quest we could have had random UB encounters so it actually felt like we were being invaded. Maaaan they could have done so much with the UBs and they didn't... both times. They had 2 goes at it. Mannnn

And it'd would have given us a reason to wander in that desert to find Tapu Bulu's shrine. And while we were on this little quest we could have had random UB encounters so it actually felt like we were being invaded. Maaaan they could have done so much with the UBs and they didn't... both times. They had 2 goes at it. Mannnn
Hopefully, third time's the charm... whenever that happens.

sorry for the late response- don't worry about looking hostile! i get the same way, and it's hard to tell with text for obvious reasons. :b i hate the women = lust thing too, it's horrible and really annoying- i was just going off of the canon data that @PkmnTrainerV provided here (thanks for bringing it up, by the way! in hindsight i should have added it as supporting evidence before i posted haha) and yeah, i see the holes in the theory, i just thought it'd be a cool thing to bring up. thanks for your feedback!

okay hi hello hi
i realised this a while back and never really told anyone about it because i figured someone else had already figured it out but idk
so i was thinking about the 7 original ultra beasts from sm, right
and i was thinking how guzzlord is called the gluttonous pokemon, right?
well
i realised the 7 original ultra beasts each represent one of the seven deadly sins.
-
-
i could just be overthinking things but at the same time this seems too specific to be a coincidence.
what are your thoughts?
I may be a bit late for answering this but i made an account just to say that game freak usually hides this kind of deatils in the moves, and, well, let's take for example Kartana, who should be wrath, well, one of his two begging moves is litteraly FURY cutter, or let's take for example Buzzwole, he should be pride so someone that thinks he's better than the others and kinda taunts them with being all prideful, yeah, taunts, like the move he learns at level 5, taunt

sorry for bad English if i made any errors

This exact thought process couldn’t have not gone through Man on the Internet’s heads while writing lyrics for their Ultra Necrozma cover

“Pride in wrestling the light;
Wrath of mankind’s rage;
Envy of my might;
Lust for endless day;
Gluttony for power;
In your endless Greed;
But your Sloth is your fall;
Now the dragon’s free!”

Back
Top Bottom