• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Gen VI features do you expect to be kept in Gen VII?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Between XY and ORAS, this generation introduced a ton of new features. Which do you expect to be kept in Gen VII, and which ones do you expect to be kept Kalos exclusive and Hoenn exclusive?

Here are some:

XY:
Trainer Customization
Natural Objects
Pokemon riding
Trainer PR videos
Sky Battles
Hordes
Rollerskates
Super Training
Pokemon Amie

ORAS:
Soaring
Flying directly to routes
Dex Nav
Contest Spectacaulars
Bases
Sharpedo turbo surfing
Overworld Pokemon (Wingulls and Swablus flying over)
Diving
Underwater Battles (was not in Gen III)
Trainer Horde battles

This thread is about what you expect to be kept, not what you want to be kept. Answer using the list I made, and also add any features that I didn't add...

Last edited:
Should Mega Evolutions and Primal Reversions even be considered features like the others? I mean... It'd be odd to remove them and it'd upset many fans as it'd be pretty much removing 50 Pokémon.

I think the features that'll be kept are...
  • Trainer Customization
  • Maybe a combination of PokeRadar and DexNav?
  • Hordes
  • Flying directly to routes
  • Lapras, Sharpedo, Wailmer, and Kyogre Surfing models
  • Trainer Horde Battles
Not 100% sure on everything else, but it'd be nice to see Contests and Bases returning.

Last edited:
What I think is gonna be kept:
  • Natural Objects in battles. A fun little gimmick which I don't think will be removed.
  • Mega Evolutions. I see it being kept forever really.
  • Hordes. It makes EV's training easier and GameFreak wants more people to play competitively.
  • Flying directly to routes. This is a gameplay improvement, I doubt it's going to be removed.
  • Sharpedo turbo surfing. Though maybe with a different surfing Pokémon, one that's native to the new region maybe.
  • Overworld Pokémon. Haven't there always been overworld Pokémon? Or do you mean something else?
Customization is a hard one. On one hand I think they'll keep it cause it's something people have wanted for a long time and it's too big a thing to remove. However, it was said that it was a Kalos only thing, so I don't know what they're gonna do...

As for the Pokéradar/Dexnav, I think there's going to be a new device that (partly) has the same functions.

I think the rest is really an exclusive thing to that specific game, so those games have their own special things. I especially doubt PR videos and Soaring is going to stay, somehow they don't seem like a feature meant for other games. But I could be wrong.

I removed ME and PR from the list cause they are obviously staples. And Pokeradar cause it is Gen IV, really.
I think:

XY:
Trainer Customization: it should stay, but I can easily see it kept Kalos exclusive, as it was originally said.
Natural Objects: I definitely see it as Kalos exclusive. It wasn't in ORAS, I doubt it will be in SM.
Pokemon riding: this one I can actually see return, maybe with different rideable Pokemon.
Trainer PR videos: Kalos exclusive
Sky Battles: Kalos exclusive
Hordes: staying.
Rollerskates: Kalos exclusive
Super Training: I think it will stay, I see it as a staple.
Pokemon Amie: I don't think it will stay in SM. I see it as a Kalos that was just put in ORAS to have fans happy. But I doubt it will be in future games. It could though.
Inverse Battles: staying

ORAS:
Soaring: Hoenn exclusive
Flying directly to routes: I think it will be kept.
Dex Nav: Hoenn exclusive
Contest Spectacaulars: Hoenn exclusive
Bases: Hoenn exclusive
Sharpedo turbo surfing: I think it will stay
Overworld Pokemon (wingulls and swablus flying above you, etc): I think it's suitable for Hawaii, so maybe, but not sure.
Diving: I think this one will make it in SM, if it is indeed Hawaii, but maybe in a different style. Maybe not on a Pokemon's back, but Scuba.
Underwater Battles: not sure, they might keep it, but they might want a different type of Diving, like in Unova.
Trainer Horde battles: Hoenn exclusive, I think.

Last edited:
I think equivalents to things like the PokéNav Plus and Soaring should most definitely be in future games. Screw the Fly HM DansGame
That's my personal wants. As for what I expect to return, I don't think I have particular expectations outside of Trainer personalisation.

XY:
Trainer Customization - Nope.
Natural Objects - As you said in another thread, if this were sticking around, then it most likely would have been included in ORAS. So no.
Pokemon riding - Mmmmaybe.
Trainer PR videos - No, but I could see an equivalent of some kind taking their place.
Sky Battles - No.
Hordes - Yes.
Rollerskates - No.
Super Training & Pokémon-Amie - In some form. I get the sense that these are a package deal with the PSS, and all three of them were huge strides forward that almost certainly required a lot of work. I can't see them abandoning them completely, so, I expect that modifications may occur, but the basic functions will remain. Also, I assume that O-Powers are included in this, but maybe not (although they themselves are the successors to Gen V's Pass Powers, so maybe they have more Staying Power than I give them credit for). At any rate, who here doesn't want more Bonding Time?

ORAS:
Soaring - Definitely not.
Flying directly to routes - Yes.
Dex Nav - Nope.
Contest Spectacaulars - Non.
Bases - Nope-a-roo.
Sharpedo turbo surfing - I could see this staying in.
Overworld Pokemon (Wingulls and Swablus flying over) - Yes.
Diving - 60% no, 40% yes. Can't really say without a better idea of what the region is like.
Underwater Battles (was not in Gen III) - Associated with the former, so same answer.
Trainer Horde battles - Maybe as a one-off gimmick thing (so, basically the same as in ORAS).
Sneaking - I think this is associated with the DexNav, so probably not.

Last edited:
Natural Objects: Doesn't have anything that defines it as Kalos-only, so it might come back

Sky Battles: If they allow more pokemon to participate in this, then great.

Hordes: Again, this reflects the natural habitat, so it could come back

Super Training/Pokemon Amie: While this is certainly a Gen6 thing, the influence they have on raising pokemon is high, especially having to obtain Sylveon. I think they'd come back under different names.

Flying directly to routes: They'd be crazy not to bring this back - this is insanely helpful.

Contest Spectacaulars: Since Contests were also in Sinnoh, they might come back in the new region.

Overworld Pokemon (Wingulls and Swablus flying over) : This is a really neat feature, but it is also closely related to the Dex Nav, which I see as a Hoenn-only thing. On the other hand, this represente the natural environment as well, so I'm half and half on this.

Diving: It should come back. Really. Underwater routes provide different landscapes and provide different parts of nature. And since the new impression seems to be similar to Hawaii, exploring the ocean would be great.

Underwater Battles (was not in Gen III): Unlike Sky Battles, I want restrictions on this part. Seriously, I find it weird when I send out a Charizard to fight a fish underwater. Other than that, if Diving comes back, then Underwater Battles should come back.

Trainer Horde battles: Like the above poster, maybe as a one-time event.

-Super Training. I really enjoyed it and it made things a lot easier.

-Pokemon-Amie. For some reason, I don't see this going away.

-Flying to Routes. I really hope this doesn't go anywhere, as it was pretty damned handy.

-Hordes. I'm thinking that this will stay for both training and shiny hunting purposes.

I'd like for Friend Safaris to make a comeback, as they made finding HA Pokemon and shinies insanely easy. But something tells me that I won't be seeing that nice little feature again. I also don't think that we'll get customization this time around, since the new Region won't be as "fashionable" as Kalos. :cry:

The DexNav was such a useful feature for completing your dex and finding rare pokemon. I absolutely want it back.

I think that Pokemon Amie and Super Training have a pretty good chance of staying. They spent so much time working on the 3D models of every Pokemon that it would be a waste to get rid of the feature so soon. Plus, Sun/Moon are going to be on the 3DS. It might have been a bit iffy if they were for a different system, but I don't think it would make much sense to get rid of them when they're all made for the same system. Super Training also makes EV training so much easier and less tedious, so if they really do want more people to play competitively, then that feature should be safe as well.

Horde battles could also stay due to how helpful they can be with EV training as well. Inverse battles are pretty unique kind of battle, so I could see that sticking around too. I hope that Trainer Customization stays instead of being Kalos exclusive. It would be disappointing to see it go. The Dex Navi or at least something similar to it does have a good chance of staying. Such a helpful feature like that should really stick around. Flying the routes should also stay just to make it easier for traveling around the region. Contests might have a decent chance of returning. I don't know if they'd want to wait until D/P remakes to showcase Contests again and it is a nice little sidequest.

Can underwater battles really be classed as a feature? Sky Battles were advertised before XY and have their own rules and mechanics (some moves fail) so I understand those, but underwater battles are just normal battles with a different background. There's no new rules or mechanics and they are tied to Diving which is already listed. Sneaking too is just part of the DexNav and does absolutely nothing without it (unless SM are planning to turn into stealth games) so idk why that's a feature.

Anyway, from the list I'd say horde battles, Super Training and Amie are the only ones I'd say will definitely return. Diving maybe because of the potential country the region is based on?

I think Bases, Contests and (sadly) the DexNav will be gone though. The DexNav might be replaced with something that functions similarly though, but I guess we'll have to see.

Edit: Oh and overworld Pokemon should stay just because it's a good inclusion. But I don't know how much I trust Game Freak in that regard.

Can underwater battles really be classed as a feature? Sky Battles were advertised before XY and have their own rules and mechanics (some moves fail) so I understand those, but underwater battles are just normal battles with a different background. There's no new rules or mechanics and they are tied to Diving which is already listed. Sneaking too is just part of the DexNav and does absolutely nothing without it (unless SM are planning to turn into stealth games) so idk why that's a feature.

Anyway, from the list I'd say horde battles, Super Training and Amie are the only ones I'd say will definitely return. Diving maybe because of the potential country the region is based on?

I think Bases, Contests and (sadly) the DexNav will be gone though. The DexNav might be replaced with something that functions similarly though, but I guess we'll have to see.

Edit: Oh and overworld Pokemon should stay just because it's a good inclusion. But I don't know how much I trust Game Freak in that regard.
I remember Masuda talking about Underwater battles in an interview and calling it a new feature of ORAS. And, considering this Gen it's the first time we've had battles underwater, I think it should be included as a feature, even if the ruleset isn't any different than normal battles.

But yeah, I don't think a lot of those features will be in Gen VII, and tbh, it's better if they come up with new ones for each region, just so the new region isn't overloaded with other region's features, like Sinnoh was, for example.

Last edited:
To be honest I'd take customizations as a staple over mega evolutions. But sadly it seems that theyou favored the latter as a wide spread mechanic. Megas were pretty much gimmicky from the start. I learned to like them design wise after a while, but I'm still disappointed in the whole "if you want to win you have to use mega evolution!" thing. At least give people a choice.

With that said, I see contests in someway returning. Even if they're once again known by another name. Also hoping for amie to return but with more mini games. Flying to routes was something they've been trying to do for a while so that's a given.

If sky battles return I see them overhauling them so they have their own separate models at least.

Bases would be cool again. But they'd also need a overhaul. More items being able to be put out, actual personal gyms with at least 4 pokemon.

I don't expect anything from gen 6 to comeback in gen 7. I don't want soaring, dexnav or trainer customization to return. The Battle Maison might come back since the Battle Frontier isn't returning to the pokemon games. Super Training and Amie might return.

Customization was such a highly-demanded feature for so long that I can't see them dropping it. It'll come back, and the PSS almost definitely will as well. Amie will probably return since Eevee needs it to evolve into Sylveon, although it might be renamed.

Customization should definitely return. If the new region is based on somewhere as diverse as Hawaii, not including it is simply inexcusable.

I also want the PSS, Amie and Super Training back.

If anything, it should be expanded to include a wider variety of skin tones and facial feature options.

One would think, but every time I get my hopes up, they are extinguished by the memory of this quote:

> Masuda: In terms of the customization of the trainer, that was really kind of a special thing for the Kalos region, which featured this kind of motif of France and really focused on this beauty and fashion aspect, which is why it was a prominent feature in that game. [...] It's really meant to give unique traits of personalities to the different regions. So with the secret bases, for example, they're really popular in the Hoenn region[.]

Never mind that Secret Bases were in the Sinnoh games

If anybody is daft enough to pull customization out despite it being a hugely popular feature and forward advancement, you know it's Game Freak.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom