• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is GS considered the best Gen?

Habunake

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I always see people put this on a pedestal, now don't get me wrong, I'm glad it introduced Breeding, Genders, Steel, Dark, and some other stuff but besides the new game mechanics I thought the Johto region was pretty dull, Kanto was incredibly easy after beating the E4 as you had a team of Lv. 50+ dudes usually...

So, is there any logical reason why its the "best"? I mean I liked it, but I don't see the awesomeness people claim it to be.

Probably just the timing, Red Blue and Yellow built up Pokemania and GS was released just in the midst of it all, many memories come back about that time because pokemon was at it's highest point then. Shame things aren't the same.

Meh, for me? Huge nostalgia trip. I remember being insanely excited about it and all and since I love nostalgia...I love GS. o-o; ...That and I was able to beat the E4 with an Eevee (which evolved into an Espeon half way through...) and a Raticate. 8D;

It's one of those things, I've seen. There is no real logic behind it, it's just the way things are. My guess is that G/S came in at the height of Pokemon popularity. People wanted more, and they got more and then some. This was also the time people started to take Pokemon seriously. The competitive mindset as I know it first emerged in this time. (I don't have the information to back this up) Of course, there could also be no real reason other than personal preference. A lot of people ignored the third gen, which I found to be sad. Most of those people returned for the fourth gen, but the second gen is still held in higher esteem than it is. There are even the ones who never got past the first gen. (You know who you are) I liked all the gens, and each one has increased the experience for me.

The 3rd gen was great, I'd have preferred for a second GBA Gen instead of Fire red + Leaf green, and I'm disappointed with the pokemon of 4th gen, far too many legendaries and 1st gen evolutions, not enough good looking pokemon and Shaymin, what's up with Shaymin, it's pathetic.

I honestly don't see how Shaymin is more pathetic then any other small ledgendary.

And what is exactly is wrong with the 4th Gen besides personal opinions?

An all psychic legendary trio is a huge mistake i think, and Mew, Celebi and Jirachi were all slightly human-shaped and had immense psychic abilitys most obviously mid air floating whereas Shaymin seems more docile and animalistic.

Most likely, GS built upon the original without being too revolutionary, while AG and DP were quite different and revolutionary when compared to their prior generations. I have heard of people who abandoned Pokémon when AG came out, citing the differences; then you have jokers like Anti-Sinnoh >> (I hope this doesn't offend you, Habunake).

Think about it - this is reflected well in both games and anime. In the games, you would go back to Kanto and re-experience that region (although it was also a big part of the complaints), while in the anime, no new major characters were added or removed between the original generation and GS. Now think about AG and DP, and you will see where I'm coming from.

Well, I have to say my favorite Pokemon game to date is still Crystal. As you said, the introduction of genders, breeding, Steel and Dark types, day and night was a big thing at the moment, so of course a lot of people say GSC is the best gen. If it weren't for the awful job they did with Kanto, I'm sure nobody would doubt about others saying so.

Makes you rather wish they didn't even think of adding Kanto to GSC in the first place. :p

whereas Shaymin seems more docile and animalistic.
I don't see what's wrong with making it different from the other three, and Shaymin has simmilar base stats irc.

Yeah, but I can see where you're coming from about the trio...I was kinda dissapointed (even if they are pretty adorable, especially Mesprit's bad-ass look. :p

Well, I have to say my favorite Pokemon game to date is still Crystal
I actually never got around to playing Crystal...:p
My favorite is still Emerald, although "Opal" could change that.

I just found Gold and Silver, which I played when they came out so I'm not some kid playing the new games and then going to the old ones, to be pretty unfufilling. I think I played Gold less then I did Leaf Green...then again, I probably play Pokemon alot more now then when I was little oddly.

The 3rd gen was great, I'd have preferred for a second GBA Gen instead of Fire red + Leaf green, and I'm disappointed with the pokemon of 4th gen, far too many legendaries and 1st gen evolutions, not enough good looking pokemon and Shaymin, what's up with Shaymin, it's pathetic.

You know what's pathetic? Phione. I could kick that things ass.

You know what's pathetic? Phione. I could kick that things ass.

Yeh stand alone it's not to great but it's interesting how you get it, plus it's not a bonefide legendary so it's not supposed to be really great for looks.

I didn't find Fire Red/Leaf Green horrid, it's just...well, they seemed been there done that and the fact Kanto was never that interesting to me.

I can say a Johto remake with the new things of DP, plus some new areas would be better.

The GSC games were, and still are, my favourite, though I agree with you Habunake, the addition of Kanto did not sit well with me either.
Really, my reasoning is that I loved the Johto region itself so much. Certain towns just admitted this aura that is unexplainable, such as Ecruteak. It had this great culture which was in contrast to even other towns in Johto, which made the region more satisfying to me.
Another big reason was the Gym types were not covered in the RBY games, which was cool, and the addition of Steel and Dark really went over well with me.
There were some areas of mystery, such as Mt. Mortar and the Ruins of Alph, that sparked curiousity in me. Also the fact that those areas were completely optional, IIRC, was very cool.
As well, not only the addition of time, but the addition of time-specific events made the games more enjoyable.
Finally, there was a good mix of old and new Pokémon, that you don't see as much of in the later games. (D/P yes but not really until post National Dex)
Some things I didn't like about GSC were of course, the low level Elite Four, and the addition of Kanto.

I never played Blue or Red so the elite 4 and Kanto were still new to me, and I know exactly what you mean about Ecruteak and The Ruins of Alph. I remember the radio signal that was linked with the Unown, and the Day Care center, and the red gyrados at Mahogany City. Bliss.

I didn't find Fire Red/Leaf Green horrid, it's just...well, they seemed been there done that and the fact Kanto was never that interesting to me.

I can say a Johto remake with the new things of DP, plus some new areas would be better.

You misunderstood me, Habu. I didn't say FireRed and LeafGreen are horrid, what I meant is that RB sprites are horrible. XD;;;

And it's not like I don't like FR/LG in the first place. The addition of the Sevii Islands was nice, but the original games are still better, in my opinion, despite the graphics (that were good for their own time).

Finally, there was a good mix of old and new Pokémon, that you don't see as much of in the later games. (D/P yes but not really until post National Dex)

good mix, are you shitting me? One of the complaints people have about GSC nowadays, besides the unneeded addition of Kantou, was putting so much damn emphasis on the old Pokemon and brushing new Pokemon off to the side. Everyone could build a team sticking to their oldies, which were easily obtainable everywhere in the wild, and several of the new ones (of which there was a pretty low amount as is, only 2/3 the original batch of 151) couldn't be obtained without some inane methods (swarms) or were introduced far too late (some not even appearing until Kantou). The new guys ended up screwed over and ignored in pretty much every medium of their own damn generation: the aforementioned situation with the games, the anime did horribly almost turning everyone off the show while giving shoddy introduction episodes to most the Pokemon (and still managing to make pointless fillers about the old ones... the Shirogane tournament also focused too much on older Pokemon), and even the Special manga did a pretty shoddy job making Red and the others come in to save the day (for the most part... otherwise, there was a last hurrah using a deus ex Pichu -_-) and making the old Gym Leaders seem superior just because Katsura got lucky with Entei.

Now, while I and several others did hate the fact that old Pokemon weren't obtainable for a good while in Ruby and Sapphire, they did have the right idea letting you only use the new guys. Same goes for Diamond and Pearl, not letting you use the Pal Park or the National Dex until after you beat the game, that was a good move (though, did they really need to include nearly every Pokemon in-game? It almost makes the Pal Park, much like GSC's Time Machine, seem pointless... I mean, 386 old Pokemon, still an insane number if you exclude legends and starters, is it so hard to have a fair number need to be traded over? I have a similar complaint concerning the low amount of version exclusives with each installment). Pokemon Colosseum seemed to do something similar, and it probably would've finally served the GSC Pokemon justice, except that everyone seems to hate that game for some reason. -_-

Last edited:
It would seem from reading this thread there is another factor I missed. G/S were a continuation of the first gen. A true sequel. The other gens didn't have that factor. I still don't think they should be discounted simply because of that, though.

Am I missing something, what's wrong with the addition of Kanto to G/S/C, It gives you something to do once the E4 are beaten. Yes it was pointless, but it was still fun.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom