• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why is GS considered the best Gen?

My main gripe was how quickly you sped through it, and the fact the GL's Pokemon were simple after beating the E4.

I didn't find Fire Red/Leaf Green horrid, it's just...well, they seemed been there done that and the fact Kanto was never that interesting to me.
I was kind of disappointed is was more of a facelift than a remake. I was hoping they would give Giovanni a badass theme like Maxie/Archie instead of the generic trainer battle theme. It was still cool and tearing through Kanto with my old team can't be beat.

EDIT: My personal gripe with RSE was the awful placement of Pokemon. You didn't get an Electric type until just before your third badge (despite trainers using Flying and Water types before then). Yet you got a goddamn Dark Type and you've got nothing to use it on for ages.

D/P is better with it.

And yeah, GSC's Kanto was WAY too easy. I guess they thought you would grab local Pokes and start training them. Yeah right, a minimalist like me?

Last edited:
good mix, are you shitting me?

Hey, what may be a good mix for me, obviously isn't one for you :p
It did make sense though that the old Pokémon could be found commonly in Johto seeing as the two regions are connected, although the fact that some new Pokémon could only be found in Kanto did not make sense.

I liked how you could go back to Kanto, and how you could get BOTH legendaries. It also revolutionized the Pokemon games, with things like genders, breeding, shinies, steel/dark, time of day, and much, much more.

At risk of repeating what Yamato-san said...
One of my biggest gripes with GSC is that it had no clue how to focus on the new Pokemon. Look at the GLs - most of them are PATHETIC about showcasing new Pokemon. Why doesn't Falkner have a Hoothoot? Why doesn't Bugsy have a Heracross or an Ariados or something(seriously, Spinarak and Ledyba would have been better than METAPOD and KAKUNA)? Why on EARTH did they give Morty two Haunter but no Misdreavus? I think you get the picture.
And of course, having Kanto Pokemon in the region RIGHT NEXT TO IT makes sense, but it feels like Johtos were shafted in favor of Kantos at times. Why not have Houndour in the same routes as Growlithe, with Growlithe appearing at day and Houndour appearing at night? Why not drive most of the Rattata away from the fields and just have them in the few buildings where wild Pokemon appear, so that we'd see more Sentret? Why not have some(most? ALL?) of those Gastly replaced by Misdreavus(which you didn't get to see until MT.SILVER. That's PATHETIC!)? Why not have Murkrow over in Johto? How about stashing Larvitar in Mt. Mortar or something? I understand that at the time, new Pokemon were something we hadn't gone through before and I suspect that Game Freak figured that we'd want the Pokemon we were used to to be available to make the transition easier, but the abundance of KANTO Pokemon in JOHTO was ridiculous.

Despite the fact that Kanto Pokemon stole quite a bit of the star treatment from Johto Pokemon, the Kanto region itself died in GSC. Pretty much all the interesting spots from Kanto were either closed off or shadows of their former selves. Cerulean cave? Sorry, not there. Lavender Tower? Hey guys, it's a RADIO STATION now! Safari Zone? As IF they'd keep such a large stockpile of rare and interesting Pokemon when Johto could make up for it with a BUG CATCHING CONTEST! Seafoam Island? Apparently Blaine decided that having his own little cave wasn't enough, and blocked off the rest of the island. Cinnabar Island? Sorry, everything's gone except the Pokemon Center, pretty much. When you consider that including Kanto was effort they could have spent making Johto more awesome, that makes Kanto's horrible treatment in GSC even more of a shame. And of course, having to fit in Kanto's gyms AND Red with Johto's gyms AND the E4 before them resulted in Johto's gyms and E4 having sorely depressed levels. Hopefully, if they remake GSC, they'll let the GLs and E4 have higher levels and rely on better AI to make the Kanto GLs(and Red) more challenging than what came before them.

Having harped on how GSC shafted its new guys and mauled the region before it, it DID introduce several features that were either VERY convenient or sorely needed for balance. The Steel and Dark types helped stop Psychic's extreme dominance in battle, breeding made it easier to get more of rare species AND added the element of egg moves to expand movesets(and having replayed the original Red recently, I can say that pretty much everything REALLY REALLY REALLY needed more moves to use. Go take a gander at the RBY movelists of just about anything - they were pathetic), the special split helped balance out Pokemon that didn't need high Special to ATTACK with but really liked some to DEFEND with(and vice versa), and the time of day added a nice atmosphere to the games and strategic element of trying to catch certain species that didn't come back until DP.

A big problem experienced with the new Pokes in GSC was the fact aside from your starter you didn't come across another decent new Poke until Mareep, Wooper, and Hoppip after the first gym. Before that you got an HM slave and your version's token bug. Then I don't think you run across another new Pokemon (aside from Togepie) until after beating Morty.

Add to the fact several new Pokemon could only be obtained through breeding or evolving old Pokemon and I think you get the idea.

But yeah, the showcasing also stunk. I think Murkrow and the Houndour line are the only new Pokemon used by Team Rocket. Your rival used all old Pokemon except for his starter and Sneasle. Erika and Janine were the only Gym Leaders to have more than one new Pokemon (and even then one of them came from an old Pokemon).

Too bad.

*shrugs* I guess it depends on what you play a Pokemon game for. A lot of the complaints I've seen about Colosseum and XD, while not limited to this, involve the number and/or variety of Pokemon you can catch. Someone like me really doesn't give a Ratatta's rear about the whole "gotta catch'em all" thing and, thus, doesn't mind playing through new regions with the same old critters. I personally loved the second generation despite the flaws... the new features, of course, played into that, but it also helped that a few of my favorite human characters were introduced in it. And Koga got to be in the Elite Four!

That said, though, hopefully if GSC gets remade for the DS, the Kanto Gym Leaders will be a bit tougher (If not right away, then after adding rematches like Emerald does.), a method to unblock Cerulean Cave's entrance will become a sidequest (say, someone wanting you to help them clear it before the Pokemon inside all starve to death or run out of air or something), as well as a sidequest to find the Safari Zone warden and get him back home so the Zone can reopen. I'd also like to see Veridian Forest become a proper FOREST again, instead of that cheesy maze of bushes it became in GSC.

Then I don't think you run across another new Pokemon (aside from Togepie) until after beating Morty.

Pineco in Azalea Forest if you use Headbutt, Yanma is a swarm Pokemon on Route 35, Sunkern can be found in the National Park during the day, and Route 37 has Stantler. And let's not forget Sudowoodo.

Of course, the fact remains that the way they spread out the Pokemon in GSC really sucked. The question remains why I still liked these games so much... I guess the region was just interesting, and I did like the Neo Team Rocket subplot.

Of course, if they ever remake it, they're going to have to make everything bigger and more fulfilling, and they HAVE to do a better job at spreading the Pokemon out. Also, it'll be very nice if they actually gave names to the Rocket Executives. But it's not like they'll remake GSC, so...

Pineco in Azalea Forest if you use Headbutt, Yanma is a swarm Pokemon on Route 35, Sunkern can be found in the National Park during the day, and Route 37 has Stantler. And let's not forget Sudowoodo.
But all those Pokemon suck, err, use wise.

I like GS because of the large world, 16 gyms and the game is not slowed down by the graphics as much as the new ones (no great risk you push the button twice either as in G/R/B) . There is two bad things about it though: no EVs, and DV determined gender/shiny. And no VS seeker, either.
I don't know about "too much 1gen Pokemon", because I played GS before the 1gen games.

Last edited:
It brings back good memories. And the colors... they were cozy. Laugh all you want, but that game was definitely the coziest. :3

All I liked about was 25 new pokemon and the ability to go to 2 regions

no the main reason is that gold and silver had everything exept contests and ruby and saphire just plain sucks in comparison. And then fault with the fourth generation is that you don't have a mobile phone if you had a mobile and made all the legendaries available in the game would then diamond and pearl would be the best pokemon games.

The whole creation myth, I would think. I mean, the fact that you can pretty much capture GOD kind of makes everything else seem less special.

That's true. I also thought the National Dex pokemon should have been available MUCH earlier. Having to train 300+ Pokemon post E4 is just cruel. Threw the whole balance of the game off imo.

Actually, R/B/G is considered to be the best. they are far more popular among critics and fans. Just thougt i'd throw that out there.

Last edited:
My gripe about GSC is the fact that the battery failed on me, wiping my famous level 100 Alakazam that singlehandedly dominated a local tournament.

As for the gripes about not having a Safari zone, remember Glitch City.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom