• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Serena return in Sun and Moon?

What's the point to create a topic like that this early ? I mean , we all know how the anime works and how the previous saga is completely forgotten when the first year of the new saga air : Dawn wasn't referenced in B/W (even the events of Sinnoh) until her cameo , same thing with May in D/P , only Misty got referenced in AG007 but it was the first pokegirl who left the show so they had to emphasize the continuity.

Let's start speculating when season 2 of S&M willl get broadcasted or when we will be around EP.70 of S&M because there's no point of doing this now, even the lead writer of S&M responded to all the spam Amourshippers gave her on Twitter about Serena by saying "Nobody know if Serena will be back because the Pokemon world is huge and never end" so let's wait before talking about this topic.

Now for me , the chances are high seeing how she is popular, they already released three costly figurines about her in 2017 for now and Japanese are asking to do more (+ pokenchi special / recent japanese poll etc...) Dawn ended up in Unova randomly because she was really popular after D/P ended so I can see Serena doing this too but I would prefer a special episode. I'm aware that they can also just making money with the Serena's merchandises and forget her fans so it's 60:40 for me.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with speculating now. Anyway, I don't want Serena to come back for just a short arc. It'll just mean the death of SatoSere and that would make me really sad. If that's the case, I'd rather not have her appear and just keep memories of their ship alive in my dreams.

If she comes back I want her to be his permanent companion. They don't even need to have date episodes. We had enough of those already. She just needs to be there. Like a constant in his life. And with each new game, they can just put her in the new female player character costume. Girl looks good in anything.

Serena is okay, but I'd rather not see her forever...

The only thing I could tolerate for eternity is Ash and misty's constant bickering.

Last edited:
Hell no! I do not want to see Serena in the SM series, not because I hate her or anything but because the memories of XY (or even before that) animation are treasures and I do not want Serena, Clemont or Bonnie (or any existing character who hasn't appeared in the SM series yet) to succumb to the atrocious character designs of the series, that is the Sun and Moon. I really hope that the animators pull themselves together and enhance the character designs of the ill-fated already, and for the series to come.

But an animal falling in love with a human doesn't seem to belong in a show for little kids.
I think Cacnea had a crush on James.

It's still played for laughs. It's basically a kind of non-romantic infatuation, not too dissimilar from what real life animals can develop for people. So, nothing that a kid can't handle. Heck, way back in the day, I found Chikorita/Bayleef fawning for Ash really cute.

Last edited:
When I was a part of this 'target audience' and watched OS, it was nothing more than cute. I didn't even know that real life humans falling in love with animals was possible.

So, like I belive, AmourShipping won't become canon.

It's probably about as canon as an Ash pairing can potentially get in this show. They showed Serena kissing Ash and while he was shocked, he seemed to be happy about it afterwards while saying goodbye to Serena. It does imply that he has feelings for Serena too. They didn't say "I love you" or show them getting married in a time skip. That's usually the kind of stuff people want in order to prove that a pairing is "canon", but those aren't the only way for a pairing to be considered canon. Besides all that, these are still ten year old kids. They aren't going to focus on Ash's romantic life because he's still a kid and the show is still about Pokemon. A farewell kiss is the most they could reasonable do with the pairing and even then, it was pretty surprising. I would have put money on Serena telling herself that she'd confess to Ash after becoming Kalos Queen or something like that.

But an animal falling in love with a human doesn't seem to belong in a show for little kids.
I think Cacnea had a crush on James.

I think that you're taking Bayleef's crush on Ash a bit too literal. It wasn't like Bayleef had romantic feelings for Ash in the same vein that Serena did, especially when it was played for comedy relief. Animals can get jealous/territorial about humans that they care about. It doesn't mean that they are romantically in love with humans. That's just reading way too much into Pokemon attacking their trainers gag.

It's for little kids and only for them, but they had stuff that aren't too kid-friendly.

What kind of not too kid friendly stuff are you talking about?

The only strange and creepy matter that comes to mind in recent years was the allusion in Best Wishes that a trainer married his Gothitelle - but it was a throwaway frame, it wasn't reflected on that seriously so I think the writers intended it to come off as an over-exaggeration of how honed Pinot Noir's sommelier capabilities were.

I fail to see how crushes are inappropriate or not child friendly. Plenty of children at the age of ten experience crushes - to reiterate others in this thread as long as they keep it innocent and appropriate for children (which I feel XY did), I don't see an issue or how that should affect Serena returning to the series.

I guess they could also be Stoutland's death, but I'm pretty sure that them not mentioned death directly at all, though it was hinted at, made it safe for kids. Personally while I don't think the crush isn't kid friendly, I don't think hey will become boyfriend and girlfriend simply because Ash is always changing companions which prevents him from being in a permanent relationship.

I remember Anabel had a crush on Ash, how old is she?

I know crushed can happen on a show for kids (see Lion King), but Pokémon seems to underestimate kids sometimes. Death happens in many stories aimed at children (see Lion King too).

Maybe I put too much thoughts into Bayleef'z crush because I watched it as a grown up (but I did watch Kanto as a little kid).

Speaking of Kanto, do you think stuff like Sabrina and the Ghost-types playing with Ash's and Pikachu's souls would fly if these episodes were created in 2017 instead of 1997?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom