• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Will Serena return in Sun and Moon?

Since Iris was chasing after Rayquaza, I can see it leading her into Hoenn and she bumps into Serena. Perhaps the special (if Serena ever gets one) would have that?

I never thought of something like that happening in a potential Serena special. That sounds like an interesting way for Serena to meet Iris and to have Iris reappear again. I don't know if they'd actually do that, mainly because I don't see Iris and Serena would be able to get along particularly well, but that would be a nice way to connect Iris's special with Serena's.

The probability of Iris appearing again is low. BW is the before last series, they moved on.
Misty didn't appear in DP.
May didn't appear in BW.
Dawn didn't appear in XY.

The probability of Iris appearing again is low. BW is the before last series, they moved on.
Misty didn't appear in DP.
May didn't appear in BW.
Dawn didn't appear in XY.

To be fair, I don't think there was any reason for them to show up in those series. I know that you're referring to how characters usually only appear in the series after the one they were in, but I don't see why Misty would go to Sinnoh, May would go to Unova or Dawn would go to Kalos. None of those regions would really help with their goals and it would probably feel as forced as Dawn showing up in Unova was.

I honestly doubt that, already because Pokemon started to less and less care about past seasons anyway but honestly, I'm not sure if I wanted her to return for SM anyway. It would probably just lead to some stupid joke moments given the more childish vibe of the series and I wouldn't want that. Unless SM if finished though, we won't know.
We just have to wait and see, however, don't ask me why but I can somehow picture Iris appearing in SM and pretty well for that. Just the reason eludes me.

P.S. Anabel (Lila) was about the same age as Ash.

Last edited:
With the SM series airing for about a year now, I have not heard much about Serena returning to the anime, AmourShipping, or any other general discussion about Serena and the anime. The average amount of episodes per season from 1-19 is about 49 episodes, meaning season 20 will end and season 21 will start fairly soon. I would like to see the public's opinions, theories, hopes, thoughts, etc. on Serena and the current/future anime. I would like to see things such when, how and will Serena return to the anime, or things such as do Brock's and Misty's appearances point towards Serena returning, and more! If you have a fan-fiction I would like to hear it, if you an AmourShipping drawing/picture or a general Serena drawing/picture I would like to see it.

Eventually I will share my thoughts and opinions on this discussion.

With the SM series airing for about a year now, I have not heard much about Serena returning to the anime, AmourShipping, or any other general discussion about Serena and the anime. The average amount of episodes per season from 1-19 is about 49 episodes, meaning season 20 will end and season 21 will start fairly soon. I would like to see the public's opinions, theories, hopes, thoughts, etc. on Serena and the current/future anime. I would like to see things such when, how and will Serena return to the anime, or things such as do Brock's and Misty's appearances point towards Serena returning, and more! If you have a fan-fiction I would like to hear it, if you an AmourShipping drawing/picture or a general Serena drawing/picture I would like to see it.

Eventually I will share my thoughts and opinions on this discussion.

The reason why there hasn't been talks is simple. It's quite awfully soon to talk about Serena's (inevitable if Misty is any indication) return. And I don't think fans of Serena are that desperate for her return, especially when she is the only girl who actually acted on her feelings for Ash and sealed it with a special kiss. Fan demands for Misty's return often has to do with the fact that the original anime (and AG) didn't fully resolve her character and her relationship with Ash, which many fans felt cheated after years of traveling and bonding.

With that said, however, I don't see why Serena wouldn't return after this special Kanto reunion news. Serena's design lends itself well to SM art style. And Serena is among the most popular post-Kanto companions in recent memory. But if they do bring her back, they better trend carefully and not ruin the XYZ's finale that they set up. That was really the best ending for Serena in regards to her relationship with Ash (assuming of course, Ash still continues his journey as a 10-year old), and it is not something to be easily dismissed. I would hate for SM to sink this popular ship after XY gave it a proper (and optimistic) resolution, and thus I am not in a hurry for Serena's return any time soon.

I AM T-H-A-T Desperate for her return!!
If Ash and gang go to Hoenn for some similar field trip that episode 42/43 have, then yeh you'll most likely see her
But judging that it's for fanservice, and the fact that we never saw Iris again (hopefully she's dead :) ), I don't think we'll see her for a while
But that's OK, because at least the ship is still afloat.

Right... Serena went to Hoenn. Same deal goes with Iris and maybe May and Max. So, if there was indeed an Hoenn trip, the gang could get a chance to see them all. Sure, it would be extremely convenient to see all those characters in one single place, but not impossible.

Fan demands for Misty's return often has to do with the fact that the original anime (and AG) didn't fully resolve her character and her relationship with Ash, which many fans felt cheated after years of traveling and bonding.

Ash and Misty are just friends.

By the end, thanks to a fizzle out process. Till the end of the OS, Misty always had that chance to upgrade her friendship with Ash into a romantic relationship. A little love confession at his face would have at least suffice. However, because she didn't confess, the relationship remains platonic. Pokéshippers waited anxiously through AG for Misty's return, hoping that she would reaffirm a possible romance between her and Ash. But it never really came. And soon, even the writers began to treat it like an ordinary friendship.

With Serena, you know that her love for Ash still remains intact to the very end. And she at least told Ash about her love in the only way he'll understand. There is no need to demand for her return because her romance with Ash has been affirmed and there is no fear that Serena would downgrade their relationship as just friends.

There is no need to demand for her return because her romance with Ash has been affirmed and there is no fear that Serena would downgrade their relationship as just friends.

That implies that any female companion character's return will be for shipping purposes, which is a HUGE assumption to make.

So if SatoSere are confirmed more than just friends, what's the point of bringing Misty back? To be a homewrecker?

Anyway, I personally never felt like Ash had much interest in Misty too. /cuepokeshippingwalloftext

If they're willing to bring back Brock and Misty, I think there's a high chance they'd bring back Serena. They might have to go to Hoenn though, unless she and her mom went on a vacation to Alola after she goes through a Grand Festival.
I Sure HOPE They go on vacation to Alola; so Serena & Ash could have their Reunion!!

Yeah; "friends" Who Fought with each other JUST as much as Zoro & Sanji

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like you all are treating Misty's romance as canon, while I myself believe there isn't much to prove about it. Most of the reasons I have heard about PokeShipping is that Misty gets jealous when Ash sees another girl, but truth be told, Misty gets jealous and even angry when Brock sees another girl. It's just her being selfish.
Either that or I'm not picking up on something, and yes the original ending was supposed to have both of them together, so I guess that's a good point
Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking trash about a popular ship, I just don't get it.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, Shudo himself didn't want PokéShipping to end into romance, but he kept some things here and there to fuel the interest of fans. The dub, on the other hand, blowed some things out of proportion by altering some dialogs and reinforcing this hypothetical romance, which may have contributed in making PokéShipping the behemoth it is right now.

So, for all intents and purpose, I feel that Ash x Misty is a mainly fan-driven romance, while Ash x Serena is a mainly staff-driven romance, since the writers created the ship on purpose.

There is no ship "better" than the other, though. Anyone is entitled to like the shipping they like most. However, I don't think Misty came to "wreck home", nor I think an eventual Serena's return would have the same purpose.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom