• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

In my mind SRBS and other similar dark fics take place in a state of permanent dusk.

Even if the description says otherwise, that's just how I imagine it.

The only reason that would be the case for Galactic is because the smoke from all the explosions would have created a permanent smog over Sinnoh blocking all sunlight.

="dying sunlight"

In my mind SRBS and other similar dark fics take place in a state of permanent dusk.

Similarly, I can't help but imagine stories set before the advent of color television/photos as entirely in black and white, though that idea kind of fades the further back in time stories are set. I'm aware that Union military uniforms were navy blue, but I always saw photos of black coats, thus that is how I visualize them.

="dying sunlight"

Me too, I think whenever I read SRBS or LaON I imagine it as always being cloudy or something xD

That's interesting. I find I mention weather a lot in The Long Walk - I wonder how much it contradicts reader's imagination

The Long Walk is fine :p I always imagine the skies as bright unless stated otherwise.

"Sun is shining in the sky, there ain't a cloud in sight -"

"Eve."

"- everybody's in a play. And don't you know, it's a beautiful new day, hey!"

"Eve."

"Mr Blue Sky, please tell us why you had to hide away for so looong!"

"EVE! Bloody shut up!" Josh yelled. His socks squelched audibly. He couldn't see for raindrops on his glasses.

Caught in a rainstorm again

Speaking of the weather, I think my stories are always sunny unless I mention it... Should get to work on more depressing moods.

In general I usually go with whatever the description is, otherwise I default to sunny with some clouds because rain would generally be commented on. The permanent sunset is reserved for moody/mysterious dark fics like SRBS and Survival Project. Galactic is usually sunny or cloudy, since it's not moody enough. I actually always imagine The Long Walk as cloudy unless otherwise stated. It's British Johto, after all.

The permanent sunset is reserved for moody/mysterious dark fics like SRBS and Survival Project.

American Johto, time indeterminate

"Set the sun back into four-PM sunset position! It'll be great for the ambiance." This was indeed true.

"Admin Petrel, sir, with all due respect, we've been resetting to four-PM sunset for the past ninety-five hours now." This was also quite true. In fact, besides a strange period of eight hours in which they had been ordered to set the sky to what Petrel had termed "eery midnight-moontime," the sky-techs had kept Johto in four-PM dying sunset for nearly, uh, two years now.

"And?"

"Give them a break," Admin Ariana said, heels clicking impractically against the tile floor as she strolled in. Of all of the rulers of Johto, Petrel was typically the most... eccentric was the best word.

"Says the Admin whose codename isn't even Rocket-themed!" Petrel sneered.

Ariana looked at him, one eyebrow raised. "And I'm supposed to believe 'Petrel' is?"

"It's the shit you put into rockets, idiot," the Admin proudly replied.

She sighed. "One, it's pronounced 'petrol,' like petroleum; two, we aren't in British Johto, so still no."

"What? Shit. This script here told me to give all the hapless fools on some long walk thing a ton of romantic sunset bullshit, and I keep getting complaints that there isn't enough of it, so I keep adding more. Where the fuck are they, then?"

British Johto, 4:00 PM

"Josh? What's wrong?"

"Eve, I've been hiking and doing manly things for many years, now, but I've never seen this much nondescript sky. It's been a week and still no change."

"Says the Admin whose codename isn't even Rocket-themed!" Petrel sneered.

Ariana looked at him, one eyebrow raised. "And I'm supposed to believe 'Petrel' is?"

"It's the shit you put into rockets, idiot," the Admin proudly replied.

She sighed. "One, it's pronounced 'petrol,' like petroleum; two, we aren't in British Johto, so still no."

I AM SO SORRY BUT I REALLY NEED TO CLARIFY

"Ariana" is likely in reference to the launch company Arianespace and their Ariane-family of rockets. "Petrel," while you could possibly argue it's related to petrol (i.e. "shit [they] put into rockets"), is technically not used in rocket engines because far more powerful fuel alternatives exist (such as hypergolics, but we're assuming a liquid-propellant in this case). However, the name is likely in reference to the Petrel sounding rockets, which are British, like our resident lemon author.

American Johto, time indeterminate

"Set the sun back into four-PM sunset position! It'll be great for the ambiance." This was indeed true.
Is it set in Alaska or something? Because even on December 21st (shortest day of the year) the sun doesn't set until around 5:30 PM here in Upstate New York, and we're pretty far north.

I try to avoid a perpetual weather/time of day by actually explaining it to the best of my ability, hence the time, date, and location being mentioned before each chapter of OBC (and sometimes within it for a scene change). There's also stuff like the downpour in Disney World that I put detail into.

Generally in my story, it's either raining or snowing, depending on location. Or sometimes it's just clear. I don't know, weather's often something I neglect rather more than I should.

This has made me lol and such, but Aether's post points out that I need to play up the fact its winter during Galactic a bit more :p

BTW, ICYMI, the voting thread for the Summer Awards is now up.

Going along the lines of weather; I don't mention it unless it's vital to the plot or if I especially feel like setting a mood.

Now that I think about it, I haven't written much about the weather in the previous chapters of Flames of a Revolutionary XD. But since it's currently summer in the story, I've always imagined it being sunny weather all the time.

I'm about to write perhaps the most sexual sentence I have ever written for the next 8ES chapter. This is brave new territory, guys - fingers crossed it isn't awful!

Back
Top Bottom