• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

if it comes back they should add more minigames alongside it, idk why they completely got rid of the game corner in subsequent games when they could have super easily just made it into a place to play minigames and get rewards
i'm pretty sure voltorb flip is only there because there's an actual game corner in the japanese version that they couldn't bring over due to EU regulations, but they didn't want to lock western audiences out of the stuff you can get at the game corner. In later games, they just removed the game corner altogether in all versions, which is for the better as slot machines do not belong in children's games.

I want voltorb flip to come back. It was fun.
The major thing that annoyed me was the fact that you couldn't even buy coins directly. I think the people that didn't like Voltorb Flip would haven't had much of an issue with it if you could buy game corner coins with ingame money. Why they remove the ability to do so when the Japanese version kept it is beyond me.

Last edited:
ORAS>RS>Emerald
On a similar note

PSS, top notch pvp battling, a Vs. Recorder with a Mock Battle function, a fleshed out Secret Base system, rewarding shinies, easy grinding, a Battle Maison, and full Natdex accessibility bar mythicals with just the 2 prior games > a Battle Frontier but absolutely none of the above.

I like the 3DS Mystery Dungeon games more than Explorers, honestly.

Also, Detective Pikachu Returns deserves better. Sure, it may look rough at most of the parts, but be thankful that this game is the only proper Pokemon spinoff we’ve had since, I dunno, years ago. I’m not counting the mobile games, obvi.

PSS, top notch pvp battling, a Vs. Recorder with a Mock Battle function, a fleshed out Secret Base system, rewarding shinies, easy grinding, a Battle Maison, and full Natdex accessibility bar mythicals with just the 2 prior games > a Battle Frontier but absolutely none of the above.
Yeah, most stuff copy and pasted from XY (and not improved in the slightest by the way), how original. When you have access to all of those but two in the game that came right before it, that's a problem, that's a big problem. It means your remake should have done far more than what it did.

Also, fleshed out Secret bases? If anything they feel worse because the layouts look smaller (i don't know if it's the 2D, but they definitely feel bigger in the Generation 3 games) and most of the fun of secret bases was decorating it. If you mean the flag thing and the very pointless special skills fron trainers like one time 30 happiness in a day or one single berry, those hardly added anything and very much doubt people used those when you can get those things in other places much faster and more effectively.

Last edited:
Yeah, most stuff copy and pasted from XY (and not improved in the slightest by the way), how original. When you have access to all of those but two in the game that came right before it, that's a problem, that's a big problem. It means your remake should have done far more than what it did.

Also, fleshed out Secret bases? If anything they feel worse because the layouts look smaller (i don't know if it's the 2D, but they definitely feel bigger in the Generation 3 games) and most of the fun of secret bases was decorating it. If you mean the flag thing and the very pointless special skills fron trainers like one time 30 happiness in a day or one single berry, those hardly added anything and very much doubt people used those when you can get those things in other places much faster and more effectively.
the point of the remake was to bring Hoenn into the sixth generation. Previous remakes also fixed some of the flaws of the games they were based on, but in Hoenn, there wasn't all that much that needed fixing. The only real issues were the lack of a postgame, which was fixed, and the abundance of water routes which, while not completely fixed, was alleviated by adding ace trainers to those routes whose teams weren't predominantly water.

the point of the remake was to bring Hoenn into the sixth generation.
And does that require flat out not bringing the Battle Frontier, Trainer Hill and Gym Leader Rematches?

The only real issues were the lack of a postgame, which was fixed
Hardly, I don't count an hour long postgame story following a character through areas you already been and flying through the sky catching old legendaries located in tiny areas with no plot whatever as substantial.

hm
simply in terms of how much i enjoyed them, NOT how good i actually find them as games...
b2w2 > usum > emerald > hgss > bw > sv > xy > swoshi > oras > frlg > sm > rb > gsc >>>>> the entire sinnoh gang (though platinum > bdsp > pla > dp) > rby

And does that require flat out not bringing the Battle Frontier, Trainer Hill and Gym Leader Rematches?
Those things would have been nice to have, sure, and i don't get why they weren't included. For me personally though, these things weren't that important; i rarely engage with battle facilities anyway. The Battle Maison doesn't have the same options or variety as the battle frontier, but it does its job adequately of providing infinite battles.
Hardly, I don't count an hour long postgame story following a character through areas you already been and flying through the sky catching old legendaries located in tiny areas with no plot whatever as substantial.
This game's postgame story is far from the best we've seen in the series, but at least it's something. If you don't like this postgame, you can always, y'know, not engage with it.

hm
simply in terms of how much i enjoyed them, NOT how good i actually find them as games...
b2w2 > usum > emerald > hgss > bw > sv > xy > swoshi > oras > frlg > sm > rb > gsc >>>>> the entire sinnoh gang (though platinum > bdsp > pla > dp) > rby
What about LGPE?

The Battle Maison doesn't have the same options or variety as the battle frontier, but it does its job adequately of providing infinite battles.
The fact i can go to XY and basically do the same thing shows how it doesn't do its job very well in ORAS. They hardly updated it in any significant way, no new battles styles, no new facilities, nothing. It's literally the same thing. It even has the same name which makes no sense because it's called like that in XY because Kalos is based on France.

If you don't like this postgame, you can always, y'know, not engage with it.
That's such odd mentality i don't even know where to begin with. If you don't like the content, don't just engage with? How about i engage with it and criticize it if i feel they did a poor job? I think that's what everyone should do.

Also asking not to engage with it when there's literally nothing else i can engage with is something else.

Last edited:
the point of the remake was to bring Hoenn into the sixth generation.

Then they failed, because they didn't bring Emerald into 6th gen.

Previous remakes also fixed some of the flaws of the games they were based on, but in Hoenn, there wasn't all that much that needed fixing. The only real issues were the lack of a postgame, which was fixed, and the abundance of water routes which, while not completely fixed, was alleviated by adding ace trainers to those routes whose teams weren't predominantly water.

The post game was a far cry from the likes of say, FRLG, DPPt, or HGSS. They usually had a full region or subregion in their post game with tons of new areas to explore but ORAS just had the tiny Mirage Spots which take all of 30 seconds to explore and have no trainers and few Pokemon or items. And beyond that it was just a ~1 hour story arc and a copy/pasted Battle Maison. Not really fixed

Adding a few Ace Trainers to the water routes didn't really move the needle. They were very open, empty, and confusing and a handful of trainers barely helped the situation. That section needed some design changes.

Additionally, I would add dex variety as a flaw as well. The game didn't have enough Ice and Dragon types and could use a few more Ghosts as well, and it really showed with the Elite 4 rosters. They really need to bite the bullet with these regional dexes and start adding actual new families instead of a handful of cross gen evos. Some of the National Dex Dexnav Pokemon felt like they should be in the main game. You want to talk bringing these remakes up to modern gen standards, let's not pretend like the Pokemon from the original games are the only ones that exist.

The fact i can go to XY and basically do the same thing shows how it doesn't do its job very well in ORAS. They hardly updated it in any significant way, no new battles styles, no new facilities, nothing.
i'm not going to argue that the battle maison is as good as the battle frontier. it's not. But the existence of a facility that scratches the same itch means that the loss of the battle frontier isn't quite as bad as people make it out to be, at least in my eyes.

Also asking not to engage with it when there's literally nothing else i can engage with is something else.
The original games had no postgame story; it just ended when you beat the league. If you don't like this remake's postgame story, you can always just pretend the story ends at the league, and you'll have lost nothing compared to the originals.

i'm not going to argue that the battle maison is as good as the battle frontier. it's not.
My argument wasn't even that the Battle Frontier is better than the Battle Maison, it's the fact that is the same exact battle facility from the game came out a year before, and i mean literally the same thing. I didn't want copy and pasted Emerald Batlte Frontier, i wanted more than something i already have access to in the game that was released last year.

The original games had no postgame story; it just ended when you beat the league. If you don't like this remake's postgame story, you can always just pretend the story ends at the league, and you'll have lost nothing compared to the originals.
And i gained nothing, which is my problem.

The post game was a far cry from the likes of say, FRLG, DPPt, or HGSS. They usually had a full region or subregion in their post game with tons of new areas to explore but ORAS just had the tiny Mirage Spots which take all of 30 seconds to explore and have no trainers and few Pokemon or items. And beyond that it was just a ~1 hour story arc and a copy/pasted Battle Maison. Not really fixed
Something's better than nothing.

Adding a few Ace Trainers to the water routes didn't really move the needle. They were very open, empty, and confusing and a handful of trainers barely helped the situation. That section needed some design changes.
These routes were supposed to be open and confusing. The open ocean shouldn't feel like some linear water route. You're supposed to be searching the seas for the evil team, not be guided directly to their location.

Additionally, I would add dex variety as a flaw as well. The game didn't have enough Ice and Dragon types and could use a few more Ghosts as well, and it really showed with the Elite 4 rosters. They really need to bite the bullet with these regional dexes and start adding actual new families instead of a handful of cross gen evos. Some of the National Dex Dexnav Pokemon felt like they should be in the main game. You want to talk bringing these remakes up to modern gen standards, let's not pretend like the Pokemon from the original games are the only ones that exist.
I've never felt the type diversity to be an issue; unlike the fire types of Sinnoh, dragons are supposed to be rare. Also, complaining about the things ORAS didn't improve from the originals doesn't show that Emerald is better when Emerald also didn't do this.

Then they failed, because they didn't bring Emerald into 6th gen.
Ruby & Sapphire are also Hoenn. They did bring Hoenn into gen 6, even if they didn't incorporate all Hoenn games.

Back
Top Bottom