• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

Then why was Darkrai portrayed as being the Pokemon version of the Devil in the Mystery Dungeon games?
Again, even back then people actually saw him more as the Devil than Giratina, thanks to massive gameplay and story segregation. Something that they didn't pull on Darkrai. Maybe they should have done something with Giratina more explicit than just dex entries, or at least gotten Dark instead of Ghost.

Aren't Dialga, Palkia, and the Lake trio angels then?

Also, wouldn't it be cool if some later legendaries were Giratina's allies in his rebellion?

I had a prediction for the 30'th anniversary that worked that way. The two box legendaries effectively serve as saurons to Giratina's morgoth.

Also, we don't need a light type. "Holy" could be spun off of fairy or psychic.

Also, we don't need a light type. "Holy" could be spun off of fairy or psychic.
That's something I have said for a long while, specially considering Fairy's most useful move involves light. Plus, it's enough with 18 types, which is a lot to people outside the fandom considering the WTF faces I get when I mention that detail.

People constantly portraying a particular angel Pokemon as fanservice due to it resembling a beautiful, young woman in a long, flowing dress.

How come Giratina was against Team Galactic's plan to destroy and recreate the entire Pokemon universe, yet was perfectly fine with helping Volo do the same thing? (well, then again it was pissed off at Arceus that day...)

Well, maybe like Kyogre, Groudon, Kyurem, Yveltal, Necrozma, and Eternatus?

How come Giratina was against Team Galactic's plan to destroy and recreate the entire Pokemon universe, yet was perfectly fine with helping Volo do the same thing? (well, then again it was pissed off at Arceus that day...)

I’ve thought about this too, I think the implication is that after its defeat it gained respect for the PLA protag (which is why it was waiting for them in Turnback Cave), lost it for Volo and his mission, and turned away from universe-ending tomfoolery. So when similar events are transpiring hundreds of years later, it feels obligated to step in. At least that’s my read.

My guess? Self-preservation. Who's to say Giratina was going to survive Cyrus's vision?

Considering the talk of adding new Types that occurs whenever a new Gen is announced, I sense that this is an unpopular opinion and I’m aware that it has no chance of happening, but as I grow older the more dissatisfied with the Type chart I become. 18 Types really is too much and some of them feel redundant and definitely could be culled. Ice easily folds into Water, most Bugs could go into Grass or Poison, Ground could be eliminated entirely, Dark types could be spread amongst various others like Normal or Fighting, similarly most Fairies could go into either Normal, Psychic or Ghost.

I dunno, maybe I’m just an old curmudgeon who longs for the simpler RPGs. ¯\(ツ)

I agree that I found Fairy a non-sensical type already. Dark, Bug and Ice I don't agree on and am fine with being seperates, but I do think Water and ice should be tried to be set apart more. Mostly cause ice is a phase of water so most Water mons can learn good ice-stuff making Ice redundant. (And it's type chart doesn't help. God.)

I also don't want any new types. This is fine. As soon as I see people go "Sound-type" and stuff I cringe a little bit on the inside. (How would one even denote what makes a "Sound-type"? that's more like a property/trait of something than it is an outright type.)

Probably not too controversial but would be neat if the game series showed some more trainers with shiny mons, as it is, the trainers shown to have encountered or caught shinies is far and few between.
I think in general the stigma on shinies should be 'lifted'. We widespread know of their existence, they're insanely easy to get nowadays, just raise the stigma of it being super special and used as a way to make someone look 'special' or 'stand out' by giving them a Shiny in fiction. Just use them. Not every animal has the same striping pattern or the exact same fur color either. (I guess it would also be nice if GameFreak properly explained why it happens and why there is only one specific other color instead of 2 or 3 (I know, because too much models otherwise but stilL))

I'd be down for a trainer class that outright breaks down the fourth wall that's just "Shiny Hunter X challenged you to a battle!". That'd be really cool.

I think in general the stigma on shinies should be 'lifted'. We widespread know of their existence, they're insanely easy to get nowadays, just raise the stigma of it being super special and used as a way to make someone look 'special' or 'stand out' by giving them a Shiny in fiction. Just use them. Not every animal has the same striping pattern or the exact same fur color either. (I guess it would also be nice if GameFreak properly explained why it happens and why there is only one specific other color instead of 2 or 3 (I know, because too much models otherwise but stilL))

I'd be down for a trainer class that outright breaks down the fourth wall that's just "Shiny Hunter X challenged you to a battle!". That'd be really cool.
Agreed. The anime itself has also shown certain foods can force a color change on a Pokémon over time, it is also shown that there is definitely other colors a Pokémon could be (purple Kecleon, gold Sudowoodo, crystal Onix, etc etc.) Would be nice to add those types to the games too.

Agreed. The anime itself has also shown certain foods can force a color change on a Pokémon over time, it is also shown that there is definitely other colors a Pokémon could be (purple Kecleon, gold Sudowoodo, crystal Onix, etc etc.) Would be nice to add those types to the games too.
To be honest, I'm still shaking with tears in my eyes that Pokémon GO of all things got the Starters with the striping pattern from the Mewtwo Movie's clone starters before any of the mainline games did.

Pokémon GO!

Honestly, the main series games aren't actually all that fun. I really like the pokemon franchise itself, and since I only recently got into it, I've only played any of the games for the first time in the past 3 years, and I was disappointed that the games just....didn't feel very fun. Like I love the pokemon themselves, but IMO the gameplay itself is kinda mediocre. The battles mostly consist of just using your strongest attack of a type that beats it to one shot (maybe sometimes two shot) the opponent, there's a TON of weak NPC battles on each route, and only on rare occasion is there a battle that feels like there is any strategy to it. I do really enjoy the harder battles, such as Cynthia and the elite four in BDSP, but most of the games just feels like they drag on with tons of weak and boring battles and I wish it was more fun than that. I don't know if legends arceus is considered a main series game or a spin off, but if it's main series, that would be an exception, because I find that game to be genuinely fun. But the other main series games I've played (Let's Go, SWSH, and BDSP) all had these issues. Correct me if I'm wrong (because I'd love to be wrong here), but from what I hear, these issues are also around in the other main games too? I should probably play more of the spin offs and start watching the anime lol

On a similar note, I'd honestly be cool with if they basically stopped bothering with the humans and the games and shows were mostly/entirely about the pokemon themselves. I love the series for the pokemon, I don't really care much for the humans themselves. Although I didn't like the amount of grinding it has, out of the pokemon games I've played, I'd say mystery dungeon dx had my favorite world out of all of them since there were no humans (besides ones turned into pokemon of course) and it was just pokemon and nature, and the pokemon spoke and are characters and stuff. Would love to have more pokemon games and shows that are also like this.

For a more positive unpopular opinion, I really like all of the Fennekin line. I know its furrybait, but the concept of a fox witch with fire powers is so awesome and I actually do like its design as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong (because I'd love to be wrong here), but from what I hear, these issues are also around in the other main games too?
To some extent. The games get slightly more interesting if you change the options menu to "Set" instead of Shift, which removes the player's ability to freely switch between opponents and forces you to sometimes fight without a type advantage or risk taking a hit switching in something that does have one, and you tended to be weaker in older games due to a different exp system. But in general the series is mostly pretty easy, and have gotten even easier later on.
The post-game facilities can be much harder depending on the game (in Sword/Shield they were made much easier than usual), but preparing a team for them can also be very tedious (Legends Arceus was a huge step up in a lot of ways).

I'd say that people who like the creatures but have burned out on the actual main series gameplay is something I've seen a bit of since around Sun and Moon at least, so you're not alone.

To some extent. The games get slightly more interesting if you change the options menu to "Set" instead of Shift, which removes the player's ability to freely switch between opponents and forces you to sometimes fight without a type advantage or risk taking a hit switching in something that does have one, and you tended to be weaker in older games due to a different exp system. But in general the series is mostly pretty easy, and have gotten even easier later on.
The post-game facilities can be much harder depending on the game (in Sword/Shield they were made much easier than usual), but preparing a team for them can also be very tedious (Legends Arceus was a huge step up in a lot of ways).

I'd say that people who like the creatures but have burned out on the actual main series gameplay is something I've seen a bit of since around Sun and Moon at least, so you're not alone.
Oh wow, I never even knew about that feature. That sounds interesting.

Back
Top Bottom