• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Venusaur vs Torterra

this. grass types suck. I've never used either and never will because they are both the worst starters in their respective gens. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Venusaur just because Torterra is a copy.

Torterra is a copy? Righhttt

I knew I was forgetting to address something when I was writing my reply to that post. XD Indeed, how in the world is Torterra a copy of Venusaur? It's more like the child of a Squirtle and a Trapinch (well, Turtwig moreso, buuut yeah). XD

Aesthetically, I like Torterra (because of the tree and mountains on its shell).

Competitively, I don't really know.

Grass type starter... foliage on the back... stands on four legs... lizard / dinosaur looking... seems pretty similar to me.

And about Venusaur being the most useful Gen 1 starter, that's not entirely true.

While Venusaur is the most useful in game for the early portions (the first half), Charizard and Blastoise are more useful for the second half of the game and the E4

Grass type starter... foliage on the back... stands on four legs... lizard / dinosaur looking... seems pretty similar to me.

And about Venusaur being the most useful Gen 1 starter, that's not entirely true.

While Venusaur is the most useful in game for the early portions (the first half), Charizard and Blastoise are more useful for the second half of the game and the E4

We're talking about competitive battling. >_> The only subject that matters when comparing pokemon.

Again, not completely true. Venusaur's only weak to two of the eight Gym Leaders and has a type advantage against the last one. It also has a type advantage (albeit unofficial) against Lorelei and a neutrality to Bruno and Agatha. Of the Elite, only Lance and Rival completely wall it.

I don't know competitively, but while Venusaur's design is a little better, I like Torterra's typing. On my currently only save of Platinum, I started with Turtwig.

Competitively, Venusaur is actually better. Ice Moves are quite common. Venusaur has a nice physical move in the form of Power Whip. Gamewise, Torterra is actually slightly better since it helps resist more gym leaders.

Based purely on aesthetics it has to be Torterra. But I prefer Venusaur in battle.

*facepalm*

There is a thing called "Yache Berry". Learn to use it. With that, Torterra wins. And STFU all of you people who are insulting grass.

Torterra definitely wins the looks category. I mean, it's a dinosaur turtle thing, with spikes coming out of its head, and boulders and tree on its back. Venusaur is bleh. They got that evolution line right with Ivysaur, I feel like Venu is a bit overweight.

As far as battling. Don't know. I'm only now getting into the whole competitive battling scene. I never realised how intricate these games were until playing Platinum.

Although Venusaur has that awesome classic-150 vibe, I'd have to go with Torterra simply because he has an entire tree on his back rather than a rather icky looking bromeliad-esque plant.

The poll doesn't reflect who's better, it reflects who's the favorite. Just so everyone knows, there's a distinct difference in the level of usefulness between the two.

Venusaur VS Torterra

-Looks

Torterra by a longshot. Turtles own dinosaurs anyday.

-Overall usefulness
Just because he has a x4 weakness to ice doesn't make him any less useful than Venausaur.

-A battle between the two
I admit, maybe Venusaur. But if someone trained Torterra properly, he's a destructive wall of doom. And how often do people carry ice moves with them anyway?

-General awesomeness
Once again, turtles. I almost chose Turtwig over Chimchar, like I once almost chose Squirtle over Charmander.

For me, Torterra is the obvious best choice.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom