• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

The Simple Question / Simple (or not so) Answer thread Mark II

Who did you pick?

• Dialga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Palkia

• Giratina

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the new "Mummy" ability do?

I just caught an Impish natured Abra with a perfect def IV and I want to breed it. What pokemon do you recommend me to breed it with? (and Btw, it's my FIRST legal, no AR or RNG abuse, randomly encountered shiny on HG:-D)

Just wanted to bring back up.

In the Battle Frontier and Tower, if your Pokemon is over level 50, it's level is brought down to level 50. Likewise, it's stats are reduced.

How are the stats calculated when reduced? Is it whatever the Pokemon's stats were at level 50, or something else?

Smogon have an extensive article here about how the stats are worked out at level 50:
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/mechanics_level50

From reading it, it basically means that each stat for a given pokemon will be reduced to its base level for that species of pokemon (slightly less for a stat that is hindered by their nature, slightly more for a stat that is helped by their nature).

As for IVs, these are more or less halved for level 50.

The number of EVs possessed by that pokemon, on the other hand, are more or less divided by 4.

That method is for attack, defence, spec attack, spec defence, and speed. HP is worked out in the same way, only that the stat gets a "bonus" of 60 points added on, regardless of the pokemon.

For IVs and EVs, it's not *strictly* by that amount (the exact formulas that are used are on the link above), but I've tried to simplify it a bit. Hopefully it answers your question: the pokemon is not reduced to what it "was" at level 50 - it doesn't matter when it was EV trained (if applicable) - those points will still count even if you don't EV train your pokemon until it is level 70 (for example) - but only a quarter of them will.

Oh dear. I'm doing my first IV breeding project and something went wrong. Could someone knowlageable on the subject VM me so we can figure out the problem?

Please!

Last edited:
To get Lt. Surge's phone number, does the Pikachu have to be from Viridian Forest or can I use the one I got over GTS? Also is he next to the Power Plant?

To get Lt. Surge's phone number, does the Pikachu have to be from Viridian Forest or can I use the one I got over GTS? Also is he next to the Power Plant?

Yeah, he's next to a power plant, but no, it doesn't have to be from the Viridan forest as far as I remember (mine was from the Trophy garden). He'll offer to trade his American female(?) Pikachu for the one you showed him to get his number, though.

Also, minor question, but if you were to use AR to walk through walls, are NPCs blocking the way bypassable, as well? Might belong in the hack thread, but this isn't about hacking Pokemon, yeah.

Also, minor question, but if you were to use AR to walk through walls, are NPCs blocking the way bypassable, as well? Might belong in the hack thread, but this isn't about hacking Pokemon, yeah.
The NPCs such as the man in the Resort Area of DPPt, right? Because you can definitely pass them, but I don't know what it'd do to your game's storyline. I could test that, because I'm restarting Pearl in the next few days. Remind me, if you want to know, or if you don't get a better answer.

The NPCs such as the man in the Resort Area of DPPt, right? Because you can definitely pass them, but I don't know what it'd do to your game's storyline. I could test that, because I'm restarting Pearl in the next few days. Remind me, if you want to know, or if you don't get a better answer.

Well, I bought my Pearl cheap from an ebay seller who thought it'd be funny if he cheated his way into the National dex, and I couldn't restart his file since he had an AR put 999 Masterballs in the inventory (and if I ever grew desperate enough to waste 30 hours of my life trading them all away, I shouldn't be breathing). So, thinking there wouldn't be much of a repercussion, I cleared through the E4 thinking it'd make little difference, only to find out after I saw every Sinnoh Pokemon that the game thinks I already got the Pokeradar and won't do jack when I see Rowan. In addition (this is the important part), the fuckers who block the way to the areas above the Battle zone won't clear (meaning no Heatran or the rival matches).

So, yeah, I'm thinkin' that if I move back to California, I'll probably be using the cheat to clear through those.

Also, another question, but is it possible to trigger events that aren't activated by outside sources like the Wifi? Like my Pokeradar incident, for instance, though there are more.

I'm sorry for not reading through all 85 pages of this thread. I had a quick look around and haven't found my answer.

I'm new to playing Pokemon on the DS. I have HeartGold. Back in the day I had Blue, Silver, Sapphire. (Yellow, Crystal, and Ruby for a short time -- didn't play them much). My question is about stuff that I don't think was in those games. Or at least, I never experienced them.

I see people using terms like IV stats, RNGers, shiny pokemon, EV, and a few other things. What do these terms mean? For example: Does IV mean 4? Or is it like the things the hospitals use when they need to put liquids inside you? Or does it mean something else altogether?

What about cloning? How do people do that?

Also, are there any other terms I should know about that I might be seeing here?

Last edited:
It's French in the English versions of HGSS.

Yeah, I never did trade for his Pikachu, though, and my first HG/SS game (namely, the latter) wasn't in English.

I still see my question on the previous page is unanswered, but I'll wait.

I'm sorry for not reading through all 85 pages of this thread. I had a quick look around and haven't found my answer.

I'm new to playing Pokemon on the DS. I have HeartGold. Back in the day I had Blue, Silver, Sapphire. (Yellow, Crystal, and Ruby for a short time -- didn't play them much). My question is about stuff that I don't think was in those games. Or at least, I never experienced them.

I see people using terms like IV stats, RNGers, shiny pokemon, EV, and a few other things. What do these terms mean? For example: Does IV mean 4? Or is it like the things the hospitals use when they need to put liquids inside you? Or does it mean something else altogether?

What about cloning? How do people do that?

Also, are there any other terms I should know about that I might be seeing here?
-The IV and EV stuff is really only for people who competitively battle each other over Wi-Fi. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter if all you do is go through the main storyline. They also have a lot to do with formulas and math.
IV
EV

-RNG is a pseudo-random number generator. People use an Action Replay (a.k.a. an AR) to hack/manipulate the coding (RNG is part of it) of the games in order to get special items, event-only Pokemon (ones given out over Wi-Fi, movies, or other places), get high IV's and EV's, rare Pokemon that they don't feel like putting in effort to find (yet they create coding to get those Pokemon), and other things. The RNG is what figures out what IV and EV a Pokemon will have, if a Pokemon is shiny or not, and a few other things, which is one of the main uses of the AR: changing the normal RNG function to get exactly what they want.
RNG

-The cloning has to do with exploiting glitches in the normal coding of the games, or you can use an Action Replay for a "safer" way to clone a Pokemon.
Cloning

-Shiny Pokemon are basically extremely rare versions of a Pokemon. The only difference between them and a regular version of that species is the color of the sprite. They aren't stronger than usual, although a lot of people think that.
Shinies

Also, another question, but is it possible to trigger events that aren't activated by outside sources like the Wifi? Like my Pokeradar incident, for instance, though there are more.
Trigger which events? Like, Shaymin and the Hall of Origin Arceus? Or something like... Cresselia?

As of Gen V, there are no more pure types correct?
Also, is there a notable or useful difference by switching Dual-typing? For example: Electric/Dragon instead of Dragon/Electric

Trigger which events? Like, Shaymin and the Hall of Origin Arceus? Or something like... Cresselia?

I meant stuff like Steven showing up in Kanto (a few times), Rowan and Oak giving you the Pokeradar after upgrading your Pokedex, and whatnot (hence, "Not triggered by outside sources").

Also, is there a notable or useful difference by switching Dual-typing? For example: Electric/Dragon instead of Dragon/Electric

What do you mean by pure types? Pokémon with only one type? Because those still exist and will continue to exist until Game Freak decides to do something like add types so everything will be dual-typed.

There is no functional difference between Electric/Dragon and Dragon/Electric.

I meant stuff like Steven showing up in Kanto (a few times), Rowan and Oak giving you the Pokeradar after upgrading your Pokedex, and whatnot (hence, "Not triggered by outside sources").

Hmm... I don't know. Somebody else will have to answer that.

Meaning?

And no, there isn't a difference if the typing is switched.

What do you mean by pure types? Pokémon with only one type? Because those still exist and will continue to exist until Game Freak decides to do something like add types so everything will be dual-typed.

I think he's asking whether or not there exists a pure-type Pokemon for every existing type. You know, how there wasn't a pure Flying-type before this generation, but now there is?

Question about game progress.

Hi everybody. I just had a question that I wanted to hear some answers for and against. Just because I was curious.

I'm at a point in SS where I'm up against the Elite Four, and since I did fairly well in the earlier game, most of my pokemon are 1-3 levels shy of 40. Except my OP Alakazam, which is 43. Basically, I have no real place to level-grind, except the Elite Four. And believe me, it is boring as HECK. As a result, I am losing interest in the game, and probably won't even beat the Elite Four by the time I get Black (or White, whatever). I recently came to the realization that It isn't that hard to borrow level 100 pokemon here. So, the question is: Should I borrow a super-high level pokemon, break my morals, and cream the Elite Four with it so that I can actual do interesting stuff in the game now, or should I stick to my morals (beating the Elite Four fairly, with my team)?

(Note: It doesn't help that I'm planning on re-doing two members of my team anyway (one for a better choice, another because I got one with some good egg moves, but at level 1))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom