• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

TV Tokyo and CN Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pokémon CN Ratings

Contracts can be changed. It would be odd if they did, though. TPCI would have to lose faith that CN is worth the effort. Be that as it may, I think the contract goes for 52 eps. They'd have to wait for the current season to end, which won't be for while.

It sounds to me like your issue is with CN itself. I know that it hasn't done much for it's image, but right now, it's all we have if we wanna see pokemon. I don't think you're qualified to make the decision to move a show to another channel. Not even I know the process behind that. (the above was an assumption, I have no real proof of it) As long as TPCI thinks Pokemon does well on CN, we can't say anything about it. If you want to question them, I suggest you tell THEM that, and not us.

I know it involves a ton of paper work and licensing deals. CN has hte network license, but the broadcast license can be up for grabs if they so wish. I mean this by this example. Dragon Ball Z Kai airs on Nicktoons Network, but also on Toonzai. One is broadcast, another network.

I don't think TCPI has a direct way to translate them. Unlike, you know, 4kids who does.

Boomerang

I'm curious - if that's the rating then what would be the rating for the Pokemon (Johto Season) that is airing on Boomerang? It's on at a pretty convenient time too (5:30 cen).

Boomerang isn't even noticeable.

Computer Generated Images. Kids seem to like them more now than regular animation. This is why Pokemon, among other popular shows, anime and not, added CGI. Pokemon DP started using CGI for moves and contests, and now for BW the whole opening is in CGI (no idea how it will get dubbed though).

Other popular shows do it too. Yugioh went CGI once 5Ds hit the scene (monsters and certain scenes are mixtures). Beyblade MF is all CGI, none of the beyblades are hand drawn anymore.

Considering that Spongebob still gets huge ratings and they don't include CGI animation, as far as I know at least, I don't see how you can make the argument that kids like it more than regular animation. I'd also imagine that the reason they include CGI in the DP Contests, the BW opening and those other shows you mentioned would be due to the advancement in technology allowing them to incorporate it with the regular use of animation.

cohen said:
Like I said, I am pretty sure CN funds the merchandise. I am sure others would like Pokemon, such as Nick or Toonzai. But the tangle Pokemon USA has on the show makes it impossible for it to air anywhere else or anywhere else online legally.

If Cartoon Network funds the merchadise, wouldn't their logo be somewhere on it? As far as I know, they don't really have that much involvement with the franchise other than when to air the episodes. I don't see how Pokemon could do that much better on Toonzai than it does on Cartoon Network. I doubt that they would want to make a deal with 4Kids to air Pokemon on their block after they obtained the license anyway. I could see it doing a bit more if it was on Nick, especially around the time Spongebob comes on, but it's still doing pretty fine on Cartoon Network.

I agree with Daikenki that TPCI knows that Pokemon is doing well enough on Cartoon Network and as long as they'll renew the series for another 52 episodes, which considering the ratings that the batch of 52 episodes that they're currently running includes the first twenty or so episodes of Best Wishes, I'd imagine that they'll continue airing the series on Cartoon Network.

Well, Spongebob does well since it is comedic in nature, while Pokemon is action in nature.

Funimation and 4kids are pretty much rivals, or once were, and yet they work together. So why should simply because it is Pokemon, should it not be broadcast? There are two separate licenses, so it could be both on CN and CW. There is nothing stopping it, as far as I know.

Well, Spongebob does well since it is comedic in nature, while Pokemon is action in nature.

True, but Spongebob doesn't appeal to kids because of its animation. I don't think kids are that picky about whether a show has CGI animation or not.

cohen said:
Funimation and 4kids are pretty much rivals, or once were, and yet they work together. So why should simply because it is Pokemon, should it not be broadcast? There are two separate licenses, so it could be both on CN and CW. There is nothing stopping it, as far as I know.

I just don't think that TPCI would be interested in having Pokemon air on Toonzai after they took the license away from 4Kids in the first place. I wouldn't be against the idea of something like this happening, but I don't see it happening in the future either. With Funimation, they were airing DBZ Kai on Nicktoons, which isn't available in a lot of houses, so putting the show on broadcast, even though it gets more edits here and there, allows for the show to get more attention and fans. Cartoon Network, on the other hand, doesn't suffer from being in fewer homes like Nicktoons does, so there isn't a need for the series to air on two different networks. If TPCI thought that it would be a profitable move on their part to air Pokemon on two channels like that, I think that they would have done that by now.

Not really worth posting the ratings, they were just horrible. At least with TG over though, Pokemon got a 1.6. Everything else on CN got hit with the shit stick.

Saturday Ratings: 12/4/10
CARTOON NETWORK 1.3/6 Avg. (7a-1p)
Ben 10: Ultimate Alien 1.0/10; Beyblade: Metal Fusion 1.0/8; Pokemon: DP Sinnoh League 1.6/9; Sym-Bionic Titan 1.5/7; Generator Rex 1.6/7; Star Wars: Clone Wars 1.1/5; Bakugan: Gundalian Invaders 1.1/4; Hot Wheels: Battle Force 0.9/4; Hole In The Wall 1.5/6; Scooby-Doo! Mystery Inc. 1.0/4; Garfield Show 1.5/6; Garfield Show 1.9/8

CN's Saturday mornings overall aren't doing all that good tbh.

CN's Saturday mornings overall aren't doing all that good tbh.

CN used to be the shit, now they turn into shit. :lol::uhoh:

And I'm tellin' you now, unless Toonzai wants to get BW or what not, Pokemon is stuck there until the end of its existence and it won't have anything higher than a 2.

And I'm tellin' you now, unless Toonzai wants to get BW or what not, Pokemon is stuck there until the end of its existence and it won't have anything higher than a 2.

Well, on broadcast it won't get higher than a two either, but that is besides the point. If it were on broadcast, and average kid could watch it, no matter what the type of household. As long as you have a TV, they should be able to tune in.

Thinkin' bout' it no way should Pokemon go to Toonzai. Cartoon Network's a better place for it. Besides Pokemon's ratin' on CN are good. Better then most of there shows already. Keep it here because it's a better channel and you can see marathons, reruns, and everything. Toonzai you get Pokemon once a week no damn way would TPCi be idiotic enough to give it to 4kids. :nono: Serves em' rite for showin' live action shit do the crime fit the punishment.

Last edited:

Thinkin' bout' it no way should Pokemon go to Toonzai. Cartoon Network's a better place for it. Besides Pokemon's ratin' on CN are good. Better then most of there shows already. Keep it here because it's a better channel and you can see marathons, reruns, and everything. Toonzai you get Pokemon once a week no damn way would TPCi be idiotic enough to give it to 4kids. :nono:

Pokemon isn't attached to CN, not would it being on broadcast take it away. You might not notice, but usually 4kids gets higher ratings every Saturday

Pokemon isn't attached to CN, not would it being on broadcast take it away. You might not notice, but usually 4kids gets higher ratings every Saturday

Like what?

Like what what? I don't understand your question. Toonzai has for the past 2 or 3 weeks got a higher average rating when compared (meaning X2)

When season 9 first started, Battle Frontier was doing pretty well and that average remained steady for more than a year.

I'm confident Best Wishes will probably give the show a boost, especially if it coincides with the release of Black and White instead of waiting 6 months after the game are released.

Well, on broadcast it won't get higher than a two either, but that is besides the point. If it were on broadcast, and average kid could watch it, no matter what the type of household. As long as you have a TV, they should be able to tune in.

True but ratings are the reason its NOT on broadcast anymore. Why it even moved over to Cartoon Network rather than the CW was because of low ratings during the Advanced Battle season and during much of Advanced Generation as a whole.

True but ratings are the reason its NOT on broadcast anymore. Why it even moved over to Cartoon Network rather than the CW was because of low ratings during the Advanced Battle season and during much of Advanced Generation as a whole.

KidsWB canceled Pokemon because they were getting rid of all anime at the time and they knew the voices were changed next season.

All 3 Advance seasons were usually right up there with Yu-gi-oh as the highest rated show on the channel.

Pokemon was ALWAYS one of the highest rated shows on the channel through its entire run. Its only competition in its later years was Yu-gi-oh.

Believe what you want but that was not the case the ratings fluctuated through out Advanced Generation but were going in the general direction of down. The show became more and more unpopular after the craze ended plus both Cartoon Network and the CW both have the same parent company and anime can still be seen on the CW kids block on Saturday mornings. As for Cartoon Network they seem to be below 2% and stable from these posts.

KidsWB canceled Pokemon because they were getting rid of all anime at the time and they knew the voices were changed next season.

Former is correct, latter seems like hearsay. Then again, I do recall one of the 4kids VA's spoke out around that time and mentioned something like this, but that seemed more like some petty jab at PUSA rather than any truth to it.

Regardless, here's the press release where KidsWB explained why Pokemon was dropped along with Viewtiful Joe and Yu-Gi-Oh! Worth noting is that KidsWB was also being absorbed into The CW at the time, so both sides had their own excuse for ditching one another. But hey, what better ratings magnet replacement than Loonatics Unleashed and Johnny Test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom