• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Voice Actors Discussion (READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING)

What do you think about the new voices?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a VA from the current dub would brave these waters, especially Sarah.

The only VA from the new Season 9 dub that actually interacts with the fandom is NewBrock, and he posts about once or twice a month over at SPP.

For example, I've run into many kids from that age group (6 to 11), and I've asked them what they thought of the new voices on Pokemon. The majority of them, in my area anyway, have said that they don't like the new voices and they prefer the original voices.

I'm not lying. That's exactly what kids from the target age group have told me.

I know what you mean. My nine-year-old cousin can't stand Ash's new voice.

that pretty much confirms what I said 2 posts ago... -_-
That Lisa told the truth!? Not everyone rants as much as Lisa does, but many feel exactly the way she does, me included.

God how we keep shifting discussions, and on a Tuesday >:]

No one complains more than Lisa. lol. We do keep changing discussions. How does that happen? heh

No one complains more than Lisa. lol. We do keep changing discussions. How does that happen? heh
Yes that's true. But only because, well she's an ashfangirl (don't know what else to say)

Oh who knows ^^, lets just say it won't be the last time.

I hope nothing happens on Thursday, that's a day to be thankful, not to debating on a forum -_-.

Ok! I'm going to be perfectly honest. I didn't really take much notice for the voice acting of Pokemon or any other series until the whole recast issue came to light back in March. In fact, I didn't really care unless the voice was obviously horrendous like Dub Luffy (One Piece). Also, I really didn't know anything about the Pokemon VAs before the controversy arose. I knew of them, but not much else besides their names. Having said that, this issue has forced me to look at voice acting a lot more closely.

Now, as far as the new VAs go, I have this to say. The new voice of Ash stinks. Yes she has improved somewhat since the first Battle Frontier episodes, but she's still rather underwhelming. Whether or she can improve enough to be up to standard by the end of the season remains to seen. I don't think the problem is as simple as "there's no emotion" or "she doesn't sound like a natural boy" or "she's no Veronica Taylor." I think the problem goes much deeper than that.

Here's whar Sarah Natochenny or whoever may wind up voicing Ash in the future needs to do:

1: Understand the Character You Are Portraying

Who is Ash Ketchum? What are his goals and aspirations? How does he relate to others (Both Pokemon and Humans)?

2: Visualize the Character

What would Ash do and say in a Gym Battle, when confronting Team Rocket, or when seeking and/or giving advice to others?

3: Finally, Become that Character

How would you react when coaching your Pokemon in a battle, when your Pokemon is on the verge of danger, or when you've just won another Badge?

I call that UVB (Understand, Visualize, and Become).

Also, when figuring out the right voice, may sure it fits the character you are portraying. With Ash Ketchum, certainly use Veronica Taylor and even Rica Matsumoto as a reference, but don't mimic them. Find your own voice instead. It remains to be seen whether or not Sarah Natochenny can do that, but if she does, she'll be a very successful Ash Ketchum.

Onto another issue, one thing I can say for sure is that the future voice of Ash will not be Veronica Taylor, nor will any of the other original VAs return to their previous roles any time soon if at all. I think it's just clear in too many places.

Yes, there are a few who will not give up, but at this point, it's really just not giving up for the sake of not giving up. There's really no rationale for believing that the original VAs will return to the series. With hight Ratings as well as the fact that just about every fan seems to have excepted this reality and doesn't see it necessary for the original VAs to return, not to mention the three main internal issues within the organization, which Demian pointed out in his Sig a while back and still exist today, it's pretty much a dead issue.

You know, I'm beginning to think Barb was right. At some point, this thread really should be closed. I'll personally assume that this issue can remain open until May 1st of next year, which is really being generous. At that point when all likihood is that CartoonNetwork will order new Pokemon episodes and PUSA starts dubbing Daimond & Pearl Eps with the new VAs (though sources indicate that it will start dubbing much sooner than that), I think this can officially be declared a dead issue unless the dynamics that I stated in the above paragraph dramatically change.

As far as the target audience not liking new voices, it's only natural that they would notice and even care about a voice. In fact, it's expected that they won't like them simply for the fact that they are different. But remember, Pokemon brings so much more to the table than just voices. There seem to be few who dislike the new season overall, let alone would walk away simply because of a change in one element that they general dislike, and the ratings show. Besides, I like all of us learned at a very young age that we don't always get what we want.

As far as why Pokemon USA took over dubbing rights from 4Kids, I've heard several reasons. Some have said that 4Kids Asked for too much money from PUSA. Others have argued that it's because of the numerous complaints from fans. Truthfully, I think it was some of both.

As far as why the VA switch really happened, I've heard several accounts. As far as the contract is concerned, we know that their is a relevant clause to this issue, as those on both sides (including Maddie) have confirmed. It's true as Maddie has argued that contracts can always be negotiated and that 4Kids could dismiss her for any other work related reason, but that doesn't change the fact that going around your contract does have consequences.

Was there any effort on behalf of Pokemon USA to get the original VAs on board for the new season? None of us can know the answer for sure. We've all heard different accounts and we all draw our own conclusion. Personally though, I find it hard to believe that there was no effort to engage the original VAs, despite what they say. We've already astablished that former 4Kids VAs Zoppi and K. Rogers are working on the new dub, but there are more people on board that used to work on 4Kids' Pokemon dub as well. We also have individuals like Ken Bates (Narrator), Carter Cathcart (Writer), and John Loeffler (Singer/Songwriter). I find it hard to believe that all these individuals were asked by PUSA to come on board (Maybe they asked PUSA instead) but none in the main cast. I'm not asking Maddie or anyone else to prove a negative, but at this point, I need more than just the original VAs' word in order to believe their side of the story.

BTW, random fact: Jimmy Zoppi used to star in a band with Carter Cathcart.

There, I think I've said everything I needed to say on subjects of interest. *Breathes sigh of relief*

Last edited:
Maddie, professionals might not do anonymous drive-by postings, but generally people know how to use the 'edit post' button in the lower right hand corner. Please stop double posting.

Lisa, how on earth do you plan on getting 1-2 million signatures? That's a tall order, considering the show's fanbase.

It is a tall order indeed. I'm sure Lisa can use her amazing motivational whining skills to make the whole world hate the new VA's. :p

Trying to get the original voice actors is an impossible goal. Save Our Voice Actors has become the laughingstock of not only the fans, but even the Pokemon USA staff. If you haven't noticed it already, TAJ is getting close to the new series. It has been confirmed the voice actors will go on to this new series. You do NOT make the decisions. The people in charge do, and if I haven't said this enough: You are NOT0 the target age. They don't care how many signatures you get. You will not need 1-2 million signatures from anyone, you will need 1-2 million signatures from children of the target age. Do you now understand how pointless this campaign is? I do not mean to be rude, but everyone is sick and tired of this nonsense. It was over months ago, get over it and move on. Its a children's show and it will not affect your life dramatically.

heeeee'ssss baaaaacccckkkk.

I totally agree unregistered. SOVA should have been over the very minute the first BF episode aired. I know how hard it is to accept Lisa but IT'S OVER. Get on with your life.

*cough*

Omigosh, please like totally stop posting flamebait. This topic is discussion for New Voice Actors discussion ONLY... not bashing SOVA.

It's funny when people actually whine and moan about the new VA's when there's nothing they can do to stop it. SOVA was a waste of time from day 1 but if people want to continue a hopeless chance, we souldn't stop their fun.

Maddie Blaustein said that the letters over Legend of Thunder ensured that 4Kids dubbed Harley properly. Want to know how many letters were sent about LoT?

EIGHT.

If eight letters can save one character, imagine what a thousand letters can do.

Besides, what does it matter to you if people complain, even *if* they can't do anything? People would complain about things even *with* the old VAs--we're just that sort of people.

this is turning into a damn religious belief. -_-;

I could care less what maddie said. For all you know, she could be exaggerating, which she has a habbit of doing.

That's what they said about Trekkies, and look how much they accomplished. How many sequels were put out just based off fan input?

SOVA isn't *nearly* that rabid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom