• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Too easy

ClubinMonkey

Reaction score
Has anybody else found that leveling is a bit... too easy?

Don't get me wrong,this game is brilliant - my favourite so far since the classic R/B/Y which will never be topped for me - but damn this game is good.

It's just by the time I got to the elite 4 - without even training other than battles I encountered on my travels and all trainers with 4 lvl 85 pokemon (had 2 slots free as I liked to exp share evolve everything I caught)

I was expecting elite 4 to be insanely hard ie lvl 80 pokemon all round but the max was like 65 I believe?

Anybody else find this?

mmm, I catch everything too - had 6 full boxes of different pokemon by the time I hit the elite 4 but then you get exp for catching now anyway; I just find it weird how I've not even tried to level and still have a lvl 80+ team - has never happened before without a wee bit of effort :/

To be honest, yes, I'm finding levelling easier than usual, but I've switched up my approach to the games. Normally, I run away from all wild Pokémon, then grind on all of the Trainers both inside and outside of the Gyms, then hope for the best. Now, I fight all Pokémon that oppose me, all the while attempting to fill the Pokédex.

The two main reasons it seems easier, I think, is the inclusion of gaining experience when catching Pokémon as well as defeating them (which only makes sense; why did it take six generations to implement?), the fact that you obtain the Exp. Share so early, and its expanded (and dare I say improved) functionality. I find, though, that it makes building a balanced team much, much easier.

In short, you have three times the sources of experience from which to level up, and, as a result of the experience going to your entire party (if you choose to use the Exp. Share), you have more options for battle, meaning it's easier to exploit type advantages, abilities, et cetera, with much less effort. It plays right into the palms of my playing style, so I can only approve.

I thought it was way too easy at the start, so after the second gym I turned off EXP share. Made it much more fun. Before that it was very much just find and KO. Now I only use the EXP share to evolve a bunch at once.

mmm, I catch everything too - had 6 full boxes of different pokemon by the time I hit the elite 4 but then you get exp for catching now anyway; I just find it weird how I've not even tried to level and still have a lvl 80+ team - has never happened before without a wee bit of effort :/
Yeah, but I'm training every Pokemon I catch.

Well I'm still quite early on and so far I'm finding the opposite, leveling up is a grind!

I was under-leveled for the first two gyms, but after that I felt like I was gaining levels too fast.

It wouldn't be to easy if Mr Masuda had kept the damned Challenge Mode and allowed us veterans access from the start.
Has anyone ever had the cahoonies to ask him why he takes out good features that people like, VS Seeker, Pokemon Following behind, Challenge mode.
I'm undecided on whether it's laziness, whether it's so he can reintroduce them later and we'll all be so grateful we'll rush out and buy whatever new product he's peddling, or if it's more simpler than that and just out of pure spite, take your money, then give you a poor product that wipes your save file if you save in the main city, while he laughs his way to the Bank and gets working on his pension fund, or Pokemon Z as I believe it's known.

Inb4 : "oooooh but he put soooo much efwort into making all them nice 3D models" - couldn't be less bothered by 3D models, the novelty died fast, not as fast as the easy playthrough though.

This is the easiest pokemon game I have ever played. Im only past the eight gym and theis game is piss easy. Right now my pokemon are 8-5 levels under the champions pokes but im pretty sure by the time I reach the champion I will be overleveled. But it's pretty much my fault for keeping exp share on and using pokemon amie.

It wouldn't be to easy if Mr Masuda had kept the damned Challenge Mode and allowed us veterans access from the start.
Has anyone ever had the cahoonies to ask him why he takes out good features that people like, VS Seeker, Pokemon Following behind, Challenge mode.
I'm undecided on whether it's laziness, whether it's so he can reintroduce them later and we'll all be so grateful we'll rush out and buy whatever new product he's peddling, or if it's more simpler than that and just out of pure spite, take your money, then give you a poor product that wipes your save file if you save in the main city, while he laughs his way to the Bank and gets working on his pension fund, or Pokemon Z as I believe it's known.

Inb4 : "oooooh but he put soooo much efwort into making all them nice 3D models" - couldn't be less bothered by 3D models, the novelty died fast, not as fast as the easy playthrough though.

...You can only assume the worst in people, can't you? I've yet to see you say anything positive about X and Y, and yet you still bought the game. Logic.

Just don't use Amie, Lucky Egg or Exp. Share. And if the GLs/E4 are easy, do:

A) Use just as much Pokemon as them. (Doesn't go for E4)

B) Don't use Pokemon with STABs SE on the Gym. Or ban the moves.

C) Shut the hell up and stop complaining. Your using the easy way, so just turn it off. XY is so grindy without the darn share!

What if a kid goes on Challenge Mode, gets stuck, and nobody around them knows the reset code? They have to think about this because kids. You know, the target audience?

Has it ever occurred to you that Walking Pokemon and 3D don't mix well? Half of them would be unable to go to most places, they make cutscenes inconvenient, and all that shtick.

The Lumiose Glitch was unintended. They're working on fixing it. Don't forget your beloved Gen I was glitchy as fudge.

It's because progress. And XY is difficult without the Exp Share or Amie, so that itself is like a challenge mode. The VS Seeker... Well, you've got me there, but the Elite 4 are already Exp Bait. What's the point? All these features take up data, so they have to focus on core gameplay and graphics before gimmicks. Even all the 718 cries, which have to be doubled then altered for fainting and stuff, and the multiplied further for Amie, all the 718 models with their frames, doubled with shinies, not counting formers.

Ooh, and maybe, you know, were too busy working on the plot? I'm guessing that you don't know that word, because Gen I lacked one.

Last edited:
Seriously, turn the exp share off and stop being over-leveled before you complain about the game being too easy.

Comparing the gyms leaders and E4 using my standardised method (i.e. not being over-leveled, and using the same number of Pokemon and healing items as them), Gen VI's difficulty was definitely a step up from Gen V, Ghetsis notwithstanding.

If you don't take advantage of the most lucrative advantages the game throws at you (mainly the megas and exp share) then the game isn't too easy at all.

Corrrr, a lot of arsey people on these forums :p It was just a wee question, you guys need to chillllll and stop flaring out at the first opportunity... but then it's been a while since I've used forums and I forgot about all the keyboard warriors -_- - as I said I still LOVE this game, I am NOT COMPLAINING; was just wondering if people encountered the same thing!

I have exp share on coz I like to evolve the pokemon I catch; quite often I would have part of my main team in my computer anyway as I'd generally just keep 2 of my main team out and then switch them over with the ones in my computer when they're steaming ahead in levels (although towards the end I did have all 4 in my party)

Regardless, it's a feature and I used it - just wasn't expected to be that high leveled is all.

Corrrr, a lot of arsey people on these forums :p It was just a wee question, you guys need to chillllll and stop flaring out at the first opportunity... but then it's been a while since I've used forums and I forgot about all the keyboard warriors -_- - as I said I still LOVE this game, I am NOT COMPLAINING; was just wondering if people encountered the same thing!

I have exp share on coz I like to evolve the pokemon I catch; quite often I would have part of my main team in my computer anyway as I'd generally just keep 2 of my main team out and then switch them over with the ones in my computer when they're steaming ahead in levels (although towards the end I did have all 4 in my party)

Regardless, it's a feature and I used it - just wasn't expected to be that high leveled is all.

I'm certain everyone was targeting Genwunner with what he posted, not you. From what I read, you weren't complaining at all, you just made a statement and left it as that. genwunner was the one complaining, which is why I believe the other posts you felt were targeted towards you, were actually targeted towards Genwunner.

Just don't use Amie, Lucky Egg or Exp. Share. And if the GLs/E4 are easy, do:

A) Use just as much Pokemon as them. (Doesn't go for E4)

B) Don't use Pokemon with STABs SE on the Gym. Or ban the moves.

C) Shut the hell up and stop complaining. Your using the easy way, so just turn it off. XY is so grindy without the darn share!

What if a kid goes on Challenge Mode, gets stuck, and nobody around them knows the reset code? They have to think about this because kids. You know, the target audience?

Has it ever occurred to you that Walking Pokemon and 3D don't mix well? Half of them would be unable to go to most places, they make cutscenes inconvenient, and all that shtick.

The Lumiose Glitch was unintended. They're working on fixing it. Don't forget your beloved Gen I was glitchy as fudge.

It's because progress. And XY is difficult without the Exp Share or Amie, so that itself is like a challenge mode. The VS Seeker... Well, you've got me there, but the Elite 4 are already Exp Bait. What's the point? All these features take up data, so they have to focus on core gameplay and graphics before gimmicks. Even all the 718 cries, which have to be doubled then altered for fainting and stuff, and the multiplied further for Amie, all the 718 models with their frames, doubled with shinies, not counting formers.

Ooh, and maybe, you know, were too busy working on the plot? I'm guessing that you don't know that word, because Gen I lacked one.

Gen 1 had the most coherent plot of any of the stories, so much so the story is still being told today in Pokemon Origins.
Also they don't do much work on the plot, evil team trying to get the mascot legend to rule the earth/change the Earth was new in RSE, but not so much now 10 years later after having been in every main series game since.

Also you could switch between challenge mode and easy mode freely once the keys were unlocked.
Even that was hashed up, only allowing access to challenge mode after you beat the game, unless you have an AR which thankfully I did.

Since when does not using a feature that makes leveling easier make the base game actually harder... Yes I used the new Exp.All, it really sped things up, more so then capturing Pokemon giving you experience.
This game is not any harder then the previous gens, your gonna think what you want but I'm telling you its not. Yes the level of the elite four was slightly higher then it was in Diamond and black white first time around but that does not = harder. You were all probably thrown off by some of the small differences in types and the New Pokemon who don't actually look like their type.

I found that using a Fairy type made the game pretty easy. I never used one until Xerneas, and that made the game actually pretty hard. I also didn't use the Exp. Share, and only used recent pokemon.

Gen 1 had the most coherent plot of any of the stories, so much so the story is still being told today in Pokemon Origins.
Also they don't do much work on the plot, evil team trying to get the mascot legend to rule the earth/change the Earth was new in RSE, but not so much now 10 years later after having been in every main series game since.
The combination of your name and this post is making it very difficult for me to guess whether you are intentionally trolling or just a true believer.....

OT: Like everyone said, we essentially DO have "normal mode" and "easy mode", it's called turning Exp Share on or off. It's not like "easy mode" doesn't exist in other games (Swampert in Hoenn, Dragon Dance Gyarados vs Sinnoh E4), it's just that easy mode is much more obvious and accessible in X/Y

I'm not sure it's too easy later on (if you chose not to use exp share) although I haven't gotten all 8 badges yet, I recently turned off exp share and started leveling the old way (I got tired of my pokemon being 10+ levels stronger than everything around including the gym leaders).

I think the climax of the story may have been difficult if I had more than 2 pokemon who weren't level 55+ I used only 3 pokemon throughout that whole section, two who were 43-52 plus 1 when those two either ate it or weren't a good match up for the opponent. If my pokemon had all been at level I'd probably have lost atleast 4-5 of them on the critical battles.

But I dunno, I wish there was a thread to talk about all the great things in the game specifically cause I have quite a few thoughts on that (button line, I really look forward to their future games, they've gotten the game engine design and modeling out of the way, and the game engine is already really good/fast in most cases, whatever they make next on the 3DS is going to be amazing).

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom