• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Like Legend of Zelda, do you think they should relase an offical timeline?

Toshinobu Matsumiya is Game Freak's scenario writer and he's been tweeting for years. There is no reason to doubt the tweet or ask for more confirmation.

Toshinobu Matsumiya is Game Freak's scenario writer and he's been tweeting for years. There is no reason to doubt the tweet or ask for more confirmation.

Just a natural feeling to have when you don't speak a foreign language, or know who that is.

Just a natural feeling to have when you don't speak a foreign language, or know who that is.

Considering that its Pokémon, I'd find it more suspect if the tweet wasn't in English. Just because you don't know who that is, doesn't mean you couldn't do a quick search on Bulbapedia only to see the name pop up under every game page as part of the staff.

The fact that Matsumiya isn't as big a name as Masuda or Sugimori just makes it even less plausible that people would fake an account for the purpose of faking a timeline.

Well funnily enough......
https://twitter.com/matsumiyan/status/464052839870787584
Story Director just posted this a couple of hours ago. BW is the odd sheep with no parallel events happening.

Silly question... (I know this timeline is legit, by the way, but...)
How come he wrote Red/Green and Gold/Silver in Japanese and the other games in their English abbreviations? Can someone explain this to me?
Also, it's interesting to me that he actually used those abbreviations,since I thought only fans used them. I mean, it just never occurred to me that the developers would also use them. (And, yes, I know that's quite a stupid assumption for me to make...)

How come he wrote Red/Green and Gold/Silver in Japanese and the other games in their English abbreviations? Can someone explain this to me?
Also, it's interesting to me that he actually used those abbreviations,since I thought only fans used them. I mean, it just never occurred to me that the developers would also use them. (And, yes, I know that's quite a stupid assumption for me to make...)
Red, Green, Blue, Gold and Silver are the only version names that use kanji letters.

I think it's weird that he wrote "DPPt" instead of "DP" despite leaving out the other third versions, but it's probably unintentional. Abbreviations have been used by Game Freak since at least HGSS.

Red, Green, Blue, Gold and Silver are the only version names that use kanji letters.

I think it's weird that he wrote "DPPt" instead of "DP" despite leaving out the other third versions, but it's probably unintentional.
Oh, okay.

Maybe because Platinum was just that awesome? Also it's weird how he used RG and GS although they're remakes are canon over them.

Also it's weird how he used RG and GS although they're remakes are canon over them.
It isn't weird at all. The original versions stick in their minds more than the remakes do despite the updates. Origins was promoted as commemorating Red and Green.

Considering that its Pokémon, I'd find it more suspect if the tweet wasn't in English. Just because you don't know who that is, doesn't mean you couldn't do a quick search on Bulbapedia only to see the name pop up under every game page as part of the staff.

The fact that Matsumiya isn't as big a name as Masuda or Sugimori just makes it even less plausible that people would fake an account for the purpose of faking a timeline.

I couldn't find the stamp that tells me it's a verified account. Usually, if it's a celebrity or famous person, Twitter gives them a stamp that says "Verified account".

Anyway, I don't want to derail the topic anymore, so let's just agree to disagree.

Are we seriously questioning the veracity of Matsumiya's Twitter account? Really?

If you really need more proof, the guy is followed by Takao Unno, Midori Harada, Hitoshi Ariga, Imakuni and many other prominent figures involved with the franchise.

I say it might be interesting but not really necessary. That bit of story each game presents is more or less concluded in itself. From what I can say all games must play somewhere in the lifespan of Oak since he gets mentioning often enough and in present term if I remember correctly meaning he's still alive (don't nail me on all of that though, can't remember every detail) which narrows the time span of when the games play a bit (isn't he like 50 or so, maybe a bit older). The time line BG released seems to be a good hit though. But really, I don't feel the desperate need of a time line in Pokèmon games though (but I wish time would pass in the Anime and they move to a new generation after concluding Ash's journey when he's older). Also I like the Zelda time line especially since it's including the multiple universe theory after messing around with time but that's enough off-topic.

I don't think Professor Oak has appeared at all after the time skip actually, so it's possible he could've died in between GSCHGSS/DPPt and BW1.

Not appeared physically but mention in present term, meaning he's still dwelling somewhere in the world just not where the player currently is. But as I said, I can't remember every detail and might miss something.

I don't recall Oak ever even being referenced in 5th gen at all either.

Well, that throws my idea off but as said, can't remember all details.

But like I said, that was a retcon, a reboot, RBY/GSC aren't in the timeline anymore they never happened, the tweet even excludes them. But RS are not so easily removed from the timeline. How can Brendan and May have a Wii U, when 3 years later poor Lucas and Dawn only have a Wii?
I thought you were being facetious. The game system isn't an important detail, but they could easily bring back the GameCube or even an older system. By the way, the fact that Brendan/May had a GameCube while Red/Leaf had an NES was odd in itself.

Maybe there are retro fans among our Pokèmon protagonists thus having old consoles in their possession and connected, ready to play.

Now, interesting that we get some intel on when which game plays though not too important. From what I get R/B/Y or FR/LG play at the same time as R/S(/E) or rather OR/AS and then comes G/S(/C) or HG/SS. At the same time as HG/SS plays, plays D/P/Pt. or at least in the same time frame them comes B/W followed by B/W 2 and XY is the newest.

Considering that time line it makes me thinking about the Anime time line but if at all, this is for a different threat I'd say. Don't think I'll bother with it too much.

Have a nice day and see you around.
deadman

I tweeted Matsumiya to ask about Caitlin's age in Black/White, but he sent me a Direct Message reply saying it's a secret.
Was worth a try.

They should. With all the new games an stuff, things are starting to get really confusing. Especially with games that happened at the same time as another game. It would also be nice to see when the spinoffs were taking place.

Are we seriously questioning the veracity of Matsumiya's Twitter account? Really?

If you really need more proof, the guy is followed by Takao Unno, Midori Harada, Hitoshi Ariga, Imakuni and many other prominent figures involved with the franchise.

But they could be fake [/sarcasm]

Okay a couple of questions I would like answered:

1) How do we know R/S/E takes place at the same time as RGB/FRLG?

2) How do we know the Red Gyarados mentioned in D/P/Pt is the same Red Gyarados from the Lake of Rage? Also, if it is the Lake of Rage Gyarados, we still don't know if that report was made after the player catches it or before...

3) Is it safe to say BW, then BW2, then XY? (And at this point, would that make Calem/Serena the youngest protagonists at this point?)

4) At what time do both the Orre games occur?

If you could answer my questions, or share thought to them, I would be grateful. And while a timeline might not be necessary, I certainly would not mind one.

It's been confirmed by Toshinobu Matsumiya; read the recents posts. The timeline is as follows: I/III -> II/IV -> BW -> B2W2/XY

2) How do we know the Red Gyarados mentioned in D/P/Pt is the same Red Gyarados from the Lake of Rage?
The cameraman who filmed the report mentions the Lake of Rage.

Also, if it is the Lake of Rage Gyarados, we still don't know if that report was made after the player catches it or before...
Either way, the Johto and Sinnoh games are contemporary as has been confirmed. It would seem that the Johto story started a bit before the Sinnoh one but ended later due to the continued Kanto journey. The Sinjoh Ruins event, for instance, can only take place after the Platinum events given that Cynthia only speculated about Arceus' existence in the end of Platinum.

Is it safe to say BW, then BW2, then XY?
XY and B2W2 are also confirmed to be contemporary.

(And at this point, would that make Calem/Serena the youngest protagonists at this point?)
They definitely look older than Nate and Rosa do. They may be the same age as Hilbert and Hilda after two years.

We don't know if they are canon to the main series.

Okay a couple of questions I would like answered:

We have an official timeline now, so it's no longer debatable. (FRLG/RSE -> HGSS/DPPt -> BW -> BW2/XY)

For the record though, the ability to trade between RSE and FRLG without the use of a time capsule, the similar technologies in both sets of games and the fact that nothing contradicted the idea were all we really had to go off of prior to Gen IV. Needless to say, this was hardly concrete proof and ultimately led to many years of debate amongst fans. It wasn't until the Gen III references in HGSS that we were really able to solidify when RSE took place. After HGSS, the idea that RSE was contemporary with FRLG became much more widely accepted.

2) How do we know the Red Gyarados mentioned in D/P/Pt is the same Red Gyarados from the Lake of Rage? Also, if it is the Lake of Rage Gyarados, we still don't know if that report was made after the player catches it or before...

IIRC, the report only mentioned a "far away lake" and doesn't specifically mention Lake of Rage by name, so I suppose we don't really know with absolute, 100% certainty. It's an extremely safe assumption, though.

While the hero does encounter the Red Gyarados, I don't think it's capture is necessarily canon. Regardless, the report has to be before the hero encounters it, as there would be no report afterwards.

3) Is it safe to say BW, then BW2, then XY? (And at this point, would that make Calem/Serena the youngest protagonists at this point?)
That was the most widely accepted theory until a few days ago, but we now know that BW2 and XY are concurrent.

We still don't know if they're even canon to the main series at all, let alone when they would take place. The events of Colosseum, XD and Orre itself has never been referenced in any of the main series titles developed by Game Freak. It's entirely possible that they exist in their own pocket universe, completely separate from the main series.

If you could answer my questions, or share thought to them, I would be grateful. And while a timeline might not be necessary, I certainly would not mind one.

Answers are in bold.

Edit: Beaten to it. Also, I forgotten about the cameraman.

Regardless, the report has to be before the hero encounters it, as there would be no report afterwards.
Actually, the report is about the science team failing to find the red Gyarados, so many fans took this to mean that it had already been caught. I don't think that this is the only possible explanation, though. Who's to say that the red Gyarados wasn't smart enough to evade the team's detection?

In Platinum, there are also reports about the team trying to find Lugia, Ho-Oh and even the giant Bellsprout referenced in Sprout Tower. Suffice to say that they didn't find them, either.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom