• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

UK Elections

I hate these pointless apprenticeships. It's fine if you're learning a proper trade like joinery, but to just be a shelf stacker is a fucking disgrace.

I hate these pointless apprenticeships. It's fine if you're learning a proper trade like joinery, but to just be a shelf stacker is a fucking disgrace.

Even then, the framework of the Apprenticeship really isn't needed. My brother learned carpentry on the job directly from my dad - I could do the same, I suppose, but I wasn't cut out for work on site

The conservatives called my house. I told them we were a loony household. The obvious shock in the guy's voice as he tried to continue was priceless

Used this website to try and help me with the next election: https://verto.vote/#/
I have no idea how I managed it but my results were: 21% Lib Dem, 21% UKIP, 20% Conservative, 20% Green and 18% Labour.
So that certainly didn't help me decide if all parties are roughly the same for me and the contrasting Lib Dem and UKIP percentage is very odd...

I'll strike off Labour as the candidate for my area is poor and I'm not fond of Green's sexist policies. I wish they'd release the manifestos already :/

Used this website to try and help me with the next election: https://verto.vote/#/
I have no idea how I managed it but my results were: 21% Lib Dem, 21% UKIP, 20% Conservative, 20% Green and 18% Labour.
So that certainly didn't help me decide if all parties are roughly the same for me and the contrasting Lib Dem and UKIP percentage is very odd...

I'll strike off Labour as the candidate for my area is poor and I'm not fond of Green's sexist policies. I wish they'd release the manifestos already :/

I find the telegraphs vote match much better

I may be 14 but if I could vote in this election I would vote for Tories because the alternative of a SNP -Labour government would be disastrous for obvious reasons (recession, Scottish independence, No Trident ,Weaker defenses which will leaves us defenseless against Russia and Argentina (Falklands), Worse living standards)
A Full Majority Labour Government would also be disastrous as the economy and other steps forward we made in 5 years will also be badly effective.
A Majority Conservative would be ideal but seems unlikely so if the Conservatives enter in the coalition it would be DUP as they would Strengthen the Union

Last edited:
No Trident and weaker defenses which will us defenseless against Russia and Argentina (Falklands)

The first Falklands war was fought and won entirely without the use or need for nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons are for showing off, not for using. The vast majority of the world gets on just fine without them
What I meant is with Russia supplying Argentina new weapons and the SNP cutting back on defenses (navy) which leaves Falklands defenseless against a new modern Argentinian army nothing to do with Trident

No Trident and weaker defenses which will us defenseless against Russia and Argentina (Falklands)

The first Falklands war was fought and won entirely without the use or need for nuclear weapons. Nuclear weapons are for showing off, not for using. The vast majority of the world gets on just fine without them
What I meant is with Russia supplying Argentina new weapons and the SNP cutting back on defenses (navy) which leaves Falklands defenseless against a new modern Argentinian army nothing to do with Trident

Which is an alright argument for investment in defence - though frankly I still think the armed forces could do with cutting back - but my point still stands regarding the loss of Trident

Nuclear weapons are a deterrent that really aren't designed to be used. We have nukes because of mutually assured destruction - if Russia nukes us, we nuke in response and leave the Earth desecrated. We won't use nukes just as our enemies wouldn't - the loss of live is far too great to annihilate a country. We can get rid of trident and instead increase our navy capability, remember we're an island so really can only be attacked by air or transported troops. Britain is safe from large-scale harm, our main threat to the public is actions of terrorism - subway bombings are far more likely than a nuke attack.

Let's assume for a minute that the entire Middle East is our enemy. The only way they can attack is by air, by sea invasion or suicidal nukes. We can defend against air, we're safer than most countries because we are an unconnected landmass and nukes will never be used as previously stated. Britain is safe from major harm due to it's size, it's strength and location and it's allies.

Well Alliance is about the only decent political party in Northern Ireland now, so I'm probably going to vote for them.

I do not like the idea of a SNP-Labour coalition either. My main problem is with the SNP that they want another indy ref in 2 years. In another 10/15 years maybe but not so soon as I see it as a waste of money and putting too much pressure on voters.

Personally if there's going to be a coaltion I hope it'd either be a Labour/Lib-Dem one or Tory/Lib-Dem as the Lib-Dems seem to be satisfactory in a coalition as they are meant to be a power checking party.

Wouldn't be surprised if SNP remains in power for the Scottish election next year, and I wouldnt be surprised that talk of independence would strike up again, maybe to hold a referndum for 2018.

I don't think Labour will be making any gains over Tory, they've lost Scotland and frankly their debate performance has been provocative at best. Jim Murphy tells us one thing, then Ed Balls tells us another.

A great announcement by the Conservatives today, no one on the Minimum wage will be expected to pay any tax.

A great announcement by the Conservatives today, no one on the Minimum wage will be expected to pay any tax.

Workers don't even pay tax until they earn 10k pen annum, many workers on min wage work part-time, this doesn't affect as many people as I'd like, if you earning min wage you shouldn't be paying tax in the first place. Of course I agree with it in principal, anyone would, but this is hardly a turning point for low-income workers to vote Tory - many already don't earn enough to pay tax and perhaps also collect benefits to boost their income and help finance their needs.

So, I agree with it, but I don't think it goes the right way, they should have used Lib Dems promise of no tax before 12.5k instead.

Last edited:

Workers don't even pay tax until they earn 10k pen annum, many workers on min wage work part-time, this doesn't affect as many people as I'd like, if you earning min wage you shouldn't be paying tax in the first place. Of course I agree with it in principal, anyone would, but this is hardly a turning point for low-income workers to vote Tory - many already don't earn enough to pay tax and perhaps also collect benefits to boost their income and help finance their needs.

So, I agree with it, but I don't think it goes the right way, they should have used Lib Dems promise of no tax before 12.5k instead.

It's a step back in the right direction after scrapping the lowest income tax band and then giving an extra 5p in every pound back to high earners. It does mean money back in the pocket in real terms as opposed to the "jam tomorrow" plans of the past five years ... I think calling off the witch-hunt on state benefit claimants would do more for low earners

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom