• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Role of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you like or dislike this role? Why?
Sounds interesting.
How would you see this role in-game?
It would be able to confirm it its target has an action, meaning a potential PR, without needing a claim, so it could be a pretty powerful town role.
Are there any interesting strategies you would use for with this role?
Protect PR softclaims and confirm if they have an action.
How do you feel about this role balance wise?
It would need to be balanced with other strong mafia roles such as a roleblocker.
Would you consider adding this role to one of your games?
Maybe, it would depend on whether it matches a character in my theme :).
If given the power to, would you change anything about this role and if so, what would you change?
Not really, although you could potentially limit it with shots or make it even more powerful by increasing the info gathered.
Would you like to see this role on bmgf?
Sure, why not. Role madness is cool.
Do you think this role is too powerful on paper?
I don't think it's completely OP but it would either need to be balanced by other roles or nerfed with limited shots or something.
A Variant of this role would be to have the housekeeper function as a doc if their target is not acting, or an investigative role if their target is acting (acting as in, visiting somebody). Would you prefer seeing this?
This would completely change the function and use of the role, you wouldn't be able to protect the cop or other town PR. You would still be able to function as an investigative role to kind of confirm claims though, so it could be an interesting role usage. This variant would not require as much balancing either.

It has dual functionality so I like it quite a bit.
How would you see this role in-game?
As long as there is a strong enough mafia and not too many other regular investigation roles I think it is balanced.
Are there any interesting strategies you would use for with this role?
I don't have any in mind but if I were to get this role in a game (when it is a custom role never seen before) I'd sure like to try some cool strategy, but it would depend on the game state.
It is stronger than the average role but not absolutely OP.
Would you consider adding this role to one of your games?
Sure!
If given the power to, would you change anything about this role and if so, what would you change?
I feel like Doctor + Watcher would be more interesting.
Would you like to see this role on bmgf?
Sure!
Do you think this role is too powerful on paper?
As explained above, it is stronger than average but not OP.
A Variant of this role would be to have the housekeeper function as a doc if their target is not acting, or an investigative role if their target is acting (acting as in, visiting somebody). Would you prefer seeing this?
I wouldn't mind that either.

RotW #5: Jester
Role of the Week #5: Jester

This week, per a request from Molten Eevee, we are going to focus on another of my favorite roles, namely the Jester.
latest

Considered to be bastard by many, the Jester's goal is a simple one, to get lynched. If the Jester is killed by any other means or survives until endgame, then he loses. Sometimes, the game will end if the Jester is lynched and wins, but more often than not, the game will continue and the Jester will win with whichever faction is ultimately victorious at the endgame.
Occasionally, the Jester will be given role modifiers, such as Even-Day or Odd-Day Jester, which only permits them to win if they are lynched every other day. Sometimes, the Jester is given a post restriction, though, to my knowledge, we have not seen any such modifier here.

The Jester is a very controversial role that is held in distaste by many, as its win condition is considered to be fairly simple. Nonetheless, as is evidenced by The War Room's history with the Jester, nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

List of notable bmgf games this role has been in:

Random Messages Mafia! - In this iconic Season 16 game, the Jester, purely by coincidence, managed to secure a lynch on the mafia Godfather, Maniacal Engineer, by pretending to have a scum cop check on him. This backfired as when ME flipped, the Jester was instantly townread by all the other players. The Jester survived until endgame.

Chaos Mafia - In this game, the Jester was an independent character submitted by the host, Doctor Floptopus, that replaced one of the characters submitted by the players. The Jester was nightkilled in this game, and thus lost. Adding insult to injury, the nightkill had been randomized that phase.

Pokemon Generation One Mafia! - This time, the Jester, who was a Magikarp, once again tried the fake cop check strategy. Unfortunately, again by sheer random coincidence, he managed to score a kill on one of the mafiosos. By pretending to be Giovanni's Rhyhorn, he managed to secure a second kill, against an actual townie (who, incidentally, happened to be Maniacal Engineer). Unfortunately for the Jester, his earlier kill against the mafioso had made the remaining mafiosos nervous about him, so he was taken out by the mafia during the night. Who would even believe that Giovanni's Pokemon could possibly be a Cop, anyway?!

It's All About ME Mafia - In what was arguably the best game of Season 16 (though it lost said argument), the Jester, ironically, was played by Life. Unfortunately, Life played too townie and was killed by the mafia on Night 1.

Chaos Mafia II - Molten Eevee, who had received the Jester role this time, attempted to act overly scummy in order to secure a lynch on himself, even claiming to be the Jester at one point. His efforts got him day killed by the Interrupting Knife, an item that could be used to kill anyone who says the words "Maniacal" and/or "Engineer."

TWR Season '16 Mafia - Moose Enthusiast's triumphant return came with a victory for the Jester, at last, in this recent Season 17 game. Played by Molten Eevee, who had learned his lesson from Chaos Mafia II, a combination of fake cop checks and scummy posting was used to secure his lynch on Day 3. Maniacal Engineer is very proud of him.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you like or dislike this role? Why?
  • How is this role in-game?
  • Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for with this role?
  • How do you feel about this role balance wise?
  • Have you enjoyed this role's representation in TWR?
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this role and if so, what would you change?
  • Would you like to see this role more often on bmgf?
  • Do you think this role is bastard? Why or why not?
  • What do you think about bastard roles in mafia games?

Life was the Jester of Chaos Mafia as well. It seems like Life, Molten Eevee and Maniacal Engineer get involved in the jester plays a bit too much :)

I do. It adds some complexity to the game, as we get a player who wants to get lynched while everyone else is avoiding it.
How is this role in-game?
It is surprisingly harder to win as than it may seem. It may also mess up the play of the town and mafia factions... but that can happen with all indeps.
Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for with this role?
Yes, but I am not revealing them here. I have actually thought of an entire plan over what I should do if I ever get the Jester role in the game. I'm just waiting for the day it'll happen :)
I stated most of the things I'd like regarding balance in the above question of "how's this role in-game". I believe it is slightly pro-scum because it winning requires town to waste a dayphase.
Have you enjoyed this role's representation in TWR?
Definitely! Didn't realize it was represented that much! It is probably showing up more than Survivor these days, wow.
I did make them Voteless in Random Messages Mafia as an extra challenge. They would also influence the game a bit less when it comes to voting that way.
Would you like to see this role more often on bmgf?
Yes and no. From the one hand I'd like to see how it'd blend in setups and mess things up. From the other I've grown slightly bored of seeing it in so many games.
Do you think this role is bastard? Why or why not?
No. Even the variation whose lynch ends the game is not bastard, no matter how much I may not like it. OK, perhaps that variation is a bit unfair to the factions so if you give them an extra challenge it should be fine. Still never bastard.
What do you think about bastard roles in mafia games?
I've explained my bastard conduct several times. There are some things I consider bastard. I may even announce that the game is bastard from the beginning or state that "there may be X mechanics in the game"if I really want to include one.

I hate the role. Hear me out.
I was Jester twice in a row... the first time I majorly messed up, the second I won as Jester... but I find the role to be over disruptive. A well played Jester is one that can convince town that its scummy enough to lynch. This means that the town has started to build reads based on interactions with you.... But lynching you provides them with next to no information. Lynching you also prevents the mafia from lynching a useful target.
Fakeclaim. Fakeclaim as something that is very likely to get counterclaimed, then played as the scummier of the two... but do not over play your hand. It's even better if you can get the mafia to help you.
The role is unfair, and I consider it a bastard role. Unlike SK, survivor, etc... the Jester's goal is to intentionally disrupt the other factions in the game.
I admit that I did have fun during the TWR 2016 game as Jester... I somehow managed to convince the town that I was scum. What I find funny with that though is the person I was trying to frame day 3 WAS scum... :p
  • If given the power to, would you change anything about this role and if so, what would you change?
I'd ban it... Honestly.
No.
  • Do you think this role is bastard? Why or why not?
The role is definitely bastard. As I said, it is a highly disruptive role to both Town and Mafia.
  • What do you think about bastard roles in mafia games?
I think games with bastard roles should be required to be flagged as such. Jester is one such role that I think such a rule should apply to.

I do think I need to apologise to @HumanDawn for TWR2016 by the way... My behaviour on Day 2 seemed to get you quite worked up... Which was my intention as I wanted you to try to lynch me, but I never intended for it to get that bad.

I do think I need to apologise to @HumanDawn for TWR2016 by the way... My behaviour on Day 2 seemed to get you quite worked up... Which was my intention as I wanted you to try to lynch me, but I never intended for it to get that bad.

ehh don't sweat it

It made me pretty bothered because I kept asking for something Zexy said about Framers and you kept on not providing it, I wanted to understand you, I didn't think you were scum, and so it was infuriating at that moment but I admit I made a bigger deal out of it to get a point across than I should have. Honestly if anything I awfully underestimated you because in calling you Town I also said I thought you didn't change since last year, and well, you fooled me, lol.

you fooled me, lol.

Eevee, this should be added to your sig :D

Jesters that don't end the game when they're lynched are one of the greatest things to exist in mafia gaming. That's literally all I have to say on the matter. It's great because as an ITP, it benefits absolutely nobody (it wastes town's time in finding proper lynch targets [Mafia benefit] and it inconveniences Mafia by sucking up a slot that would be better fit to be an additional factional member [Town benefit]).

It made me pretty bothered because I kept asking for something Zexy said about Framers and you kept on not providing it, I wanted to understand you, I didn't think you were scum, and so it was infuriating at that moment but I admit I made a bigger deal out of it to get a point across than I should have. Honestly if anything I awfully underestimated you because in calling you Town I also said I thought you didn't change since last year, and well, you fooled me, lol.

hehe. I was trying to be as scummy as possible... and people often look at withheld information as suspicious.

I admit it was frustrating to have people read me as town, when I was trying to be scum.... But I managed not to break down like I did the game before it.

I kept leaving my thoughts on the game in my role PM thread (If for no other reason than to amuse Zexy and Caps) and this is one of those posts:

So... It seems.. the scummier I act, the more people town read me... *mind blown*

xD

But I do think this is probably one of my best performances in TWR to date... even if I still do hate the role.

Oh yeah, I actually like Jesters that don't end the game upon being lynched. It feels like it would be a large hosting waste if they were lynched so early what with all the roles that were needed to be come up, and a pretty lame disappointed for players. It's a cool role, it could make a game more interesting and exciting to follow.

Oh yeah, I actually like Jesters that don't end the game upon being lynched. It feels like it would be a large hosting waste if they were lynched so early what with all the roles that were needed to be come up, and a pretty lame disappointed for players. It's a cool role, it could make a game more interesting and exciting to follow.

It could be as quick as Murder She Wrote 3...

I like the role. It is an interesting wincon and I think it makes a game entertaining. It also helps balance stuff out a bit depending on the setup.
How is this role in-game?
It is annoying, but that's why I like it. It would be a fun role to play as and it has the potential to create some really interesting situations.
Are there any interesting strategies you like to use for with this role?
Well, I've never played it before. But I'd guess I'd do an EO and vote for myself???
I don't think it affects the overall balance too much. It doesn't really benefit either of the major factions, so you can just slip it in and see how it goes.
Have you enjoyed this role's representation in TWR?
I have, and some of the performances were really cool and entertaining. I'd like to play as it one day.
I'd prefer it if it didn't end the game, but otherwise, I think it's fine. Is there a variant where people try to get NK'ed by acting towny?
Would you like to see this role more often on bmgf?
Yes, definitely.
Do you think this role is bastard? Why or why not?
I don't think that it's bastard. It just adds a unique feature to the game, and as said before, it doesn't really affect balance or the overall outcome that much.
What do you think about bastard roles in mafia games?
I think maybe one or two bastard roles in a non-bastard game is really fun, but it needs to still be balanced. Bastard roles are used for entertainment, so I like the idea of them if they are necessary or suited to the game.

Last edited:
I'd prefer it if it didn't end the game, but otherwise, I think it's fine. Is there a variant where people try to get NK'ed by acting towny?

I find this idea interesting, but I don't think it would balance as well as a Jester.
When the Jester is lynched, it hurts the town by not killing scum, but it benefits the town by not killing town.
From a parity standpoint, it benefits scum by not killing scum, but it hurts scum by not killing town.

A role that wins by getting NK'd would pretty much solely hurt the mafia, as it wouldn't work towards their goal of achieving parity and would effectively waste their NK. The town only benefits from this.

RotW #6: Bus Driver
Role of the Week #6: Bus Driver

This week, per a request from jdthebud, we’ll be focusing on the Bus Driver role:

it-s-still-hard-out-there-for-a-bus-driver-part-ii-TbLPch-clipart.gif

The Bus Driver is town most of the time, although mafia variations also exist. Once per night, they are allowed to pick 2 players, let’s say Player A and Player B; if their night action goes through, any night action that would target Player A that night targets Player B instead, and vice-versa.

The role is extremely useful as it can test claims and get harmful night actions to target people the town may prefer (it can even make mafia kill each other if used well).

Because of its ability to redirect kills back to those who caused them, it can cause situations where an otherwise state of parity does not end the game. This can lead to luck-based final phases of games, though :(

List of notable BMGF games the role was in:
Random Messages Mafia - First appearance of the role in Season ’16. The Bus Driver in that game was 1-shot and could not redirect kills. It was notably reperesenting Etrian Oddity (then BadAssGardevoir) and the move Skill Swap, which was supposed to be Gardevoir’s in said game. The role was used at a crucial point towards the end of the game as a means to prove the person who had it town, and it redirected a copcheck from a town to mafia (this was planned, the cop themselves believed the person they were redirected to were scummier than the one they picked). It was part of the last plan which ultimately lead to the town win.

Monty Python Mafia – The role was very important for the outcome of the game, as it helped the person who had it prove themselves as town quickly, was used in several nights’ action plans and would be the town’s last hope had the mafia not made a mistake..

US Presidential Election 2016 Mafia – The role was merged with Mason, resulting in a Bus Driver Mason- Mason pair. It was not used much and its use may have actually caused town trouble once. A notable thing in this game is that one of the mafia decided to fakeclaim Bus Driver. The real one did not counterclaim and this was one of the reasons mafia won that game.

TWR Season ’16 Mafia – The Bus Driver role was included in the game at the request of leetic, who liked the role a lot to include it in both of his Season ’16-hosted games and suggest it to be added in the game. The Bus Driver-Mason role from US Presidential Election 2016 Mafia was picked, but since there was no Mason partner available, the role did function as a regular Bus Driver. One of the most notable moments was redirecting two lovers to each other in Night 1, with the mafia hitting one of them, killing the other, which resulted in both deaths, but they got a message that their kill was actually unsuccessful, a thing that confused them a lot for a while. It did not get to help too much afterwards, however a mafia decided to counterclaim it despite knowing it was in the game, as there were few options due to the game’s special mechanics. The town decided on a plan with the Serial Killer who would shoot one of the two people who claimed Bus Driver to solve the case; the real one was shot as everyone believed the mafia’s claim more at the time, however the townie’s death obviously exposed the counterclaimer as mafia just soon enough for them to be lynched and the game still having a chance to be won by town, which eventually happened.

Here are some questions to consider to get conversation rolling. You don't have to answer all of them or any of them in your post as long as you're staying on topic and within global forum rules.
  • Do you think this role leads to unpleasant luck-based situations?

Bus Driver is an interesting defensive role. It's not guaranteed protection, like Doctor, but it can protect your chosen target.
I'd probably use it to swap a high priority claimed target (Such as the doc) with someone I believe to be scummy. With any luck, I can get the mafia to strike out one of their own.
I feel this role all depends on the skill and the awareness of the player using it.
No.
Perhaps. I'd love to see it with some good flavour attached though.
  • Do you think this role leads to unpleasant luck-based situations?
Luck, as in roll of the dice? No. Bus driver is a prediction based role, similar to doctor and other similar roles. Can it lead some bad results? Sure. If I bus drive Zexy (The Cop) with Maniacal Engineer (The Godfather) and the vig in the game shoots maniacal engineer, he's going to get Zexy instead, and you could lose a town power.

I feel that the role is stronger when you can successfully predict what all the other players - including the mafia - will do.

So again, it all depends on the Bus Driver's skill and knowledge of the game.

Bus driver is an absolutely amazing role. It can go one-way (all actions targeting x or y will now target y) or go both ways (actions targeting x will target y and actions targeting y will target x). I prefer the latter for balancing which prevents it from being just a more dangerous doctor and might even cause some mindgames if all information is on the table in the endgame. This role causes chaos for both the mafia and the town allowing for everyone to be dumbfounded at what happened during a night without too negatively affecting either in most cases.

Bus Driver is one of those roles that can make or break a game.
If the Driver acts wisely, they can redirect mafia actions to work against themselves up to, and even including in some instances, the mafia factional kill.

Variants I have seen here include:
Bus Drivers that redirect actions, but not factional kills. So the mafia kill wouldn't get redirected, but a Vig Kill would.

Bus Drivers that cannot self-target. This allows the Driver to be roleblocked or killed, which could potentially be tricky otherwise.

Bus Drivers really do mess with games. In Monty Python Mafia, in particular, I was confused as to why, in spite of achieving parity, the mafia had not been given the victory. I had banked on causing a double lynch between one of the mafia members and the Doctor granting mafia victory before the next Day phase and was wrong.
That is still the most bitter defeat that I have as scum, one of only two. But it was completely avoidable! I learned a lot from that game that I took to future scum performances, and that worked out very well for me.
It's almost a shame that I'm retired.

RotW #7: Vanilla
Role of the Week #7: Vanilla

vanillaicecream.jpg

This week we will be focusing on the simplest role of them all. Yet one of the most important. Vanilla (or Goon when mafia-aligned) is the name for players that do not have any abilities besides their day phase vote. The name Vanilla has become commonplace because this role is the most basic and simple just like vanilla flavor is the most basic and simple in ice cream.

The role itself has no extra powers at all. This makes the strategy surrounding it and usefulness very dependent on the rest of the setup. In games with power roles, it is in their best interest of the town for the Vanilla to bait the mafia into nightkilling them instead of the power roles, so that the power roles live longer.

In games like pure Mountainous, where everyone is Vanilla, the role itself has no actual impact on strategy; there is no difference between the players at all, role-wise, they just need to play in the best interests of their faction.

In some closed setups, there may exist 1 or more Vanillas; in cases where only 1 exists, it can act as a clearing claim, essentially turning the Vanilla into a Named Townie of sorts.

In games with more Vanillas, trying to figure out the exact amount of Vanillas in the game can be very useful; there are cases where flavor can hint to the exact amount of Vanillas in the setup and correctly analyzing it all can catch scum who have fakeclaimed Vanilla to hide within the mass, since it is undeniably the easiest fakeclaim.

List of notable BMGF games the role was in is too long to include because it is the most commonplace role.

• Do you think this role is overly simplistic?
  • What do you think about the fact that the role's entire utility is dependent on the rest of the setup, and thus strategy can change entirely betwen two games it is in?

Much like when I use vanilla in my frozen yogurt monstrosities, I use the vanilla role to balance out the other flavors in the game.
It is a tough role to play as, because essentially you can't gain information for the town directly, but it is very good when used with my fatalistic playstyle, as baiting nightkills and getting myself NK'd is something I can be particularly good at as town...unless they lynch me for silly reasons beforehand.

I've never played an an all vanilla game, and, due to my retirement, I never will, but it would force people to actually participate and scumhunt based on hunches and behaviors as opposed to solid informational roles. It does seem like an interesting setup, and would be something that I might be interested in seeing more in TWR.
My biggest question about all vanilla games would be: OC or NOC?

All-vanilla games tend to be NOC; OC is generally much more useful when there's claiming behind the scenes, in an all-vanilla game there isn't much that needs to be said in private.

Vanilla is the second most boring role there is... But unlike Voteless, you still have your vote. I'd lump the two together... Though neither is as bad as Jester.

I have used Vanilla in my games before, but honestly, I prefer to balance out the games with far better roles. No player likes knowing they are the runt of the litter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom