• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like USUM, but it's an extremely conditional, "it is what it is" form of like. They aren't a fucking patch on B2W2.

during the USUM press period, they made statements that seemed to indicate at least some change on the idea of DLC

I do remember that, yeah. I'm just curious to see if they'll make good on that or if it was just lip service to help justify USUM.

I hope we don't get DLC. I don't want to do the same thing I do with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and wait some extra time to get everything at the normal price.
It's either this or 70dollars enhanced version (or as I call it, dlc)

If you include remakes/sequels

Gen 4 (HGSS)
Gen 3 (FRLG)
Gen 6 (ORAS)
Gen 5 (B2W2)
Gen 7
Gen 2
Gen 1

If you don't include remakes so just the main installments

Gen 2 - Johto
Gen 1 - Kanto
Gen 4 - Sinnoh
Gen 3 - Hoenn
Gen 5 - Unova
Gen 7 - Alola

10 years later, HGSS still remain my favourite game of all time.
USUM are the worst, so little extra content and split across 2 games not 1. Limiting the availability of Zeraora so it can't be traded to SM is not a plus.
LGPE in my opinion have the shameful distinction of being the first remakes to not be as good as a previous edition. (FRLG were better than RBY, HGSS were better than GSC, ORAS were better than RSE - but did have faults) and then LGPE are not better than FRLG in my opinion.

If Gen 8 does my home region justice, includes a Gen 4 remake, and a Let's Go Gen 2, it could very well knock Gen 4 from the top spot.

I hope we don't get DLC. I don't want to do the same thing I do with Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat and wait some extra time to get everything at the normal price.

I'm not big on the idea of DLC either, but if they're going to consider upgrading the main region of a generation (and aren't going to make proper sequels, which is what I'd mostly prefer), then I'd rather have that than third versions.

It's either this or 70dollars enhanced version (or as I call it, dlc)
Maybe it's how they price things in my country, but I have managed to find new Ultra Street Fighter IV and Injustice Complete Edition at the same price as their normal counterparts, so buying the game early is generally a pretty bad idea. Which is why I don't like that.

I'm not a fan of DLC and agree with GF's philosophy of wanting to produce a complete game, but if my choices are

USUM for £80 - £100
OR
Necrozma not in the original SM, but comes via DLC, absorbs the opposite box legend for its gimick, and you can then travel ultraspace and the other USUM content, for I dunno £20 even, I'd take it. You could still have Blacephalon exclusive to Sun and Stakataka to Moon

I cant see GF giving up the cash cow they created, lets them sell essentially the same game with minor additions and lets them generate a wealth of income while they dedicate themselves to other projects such as the next generation / remake.

Maybe it's how they price things in my country, but I have managed to find new Ultra Street Fighter IV and Injustice Complete Edition at the same price as their normal counterparts, so buying the game early is generally a pretty bad idea. Which is why I don't like that.
It usually does pay off to wait- especially if you've got a store like GameStop around where you can get used new games for a lower price. Or if you wait long enough, new with a price drop.

I cant see GF giving up the cash cow they created, lets them sell essentially the same game with minor additions and lets them generate a wealth of income while they dedicate themselves to other projects such as the next generation / remake.

They've got away with it for so long because there was no real alternative and it was standard practise, now there is an alternative, and that alternative is becoming standard practise.

Gen 1 (GB): RGBY
Gen 2 (GBC): GSC
Gen 3 (GBA): RSE (FRLG) Gen 1 Remake
Gen 4 (DS): DPPt (HGSS) Gen 2 Remake
Gen 5 (DS): BW (B2W2)
Gen 6 (3DS): XY (ORAS) Gen 3 Remake
Gen 7 (3DS): SM (USUM)
Gen 8 (Switch): SwSh (Gen 4 Remake)

Yeah, I see a pattern. They would take a brake on a third or sequal game and instead focus on a remake of an older title. I have a gut feeling that Gen 4 will be next.

Well... my main point is that their still will be gap years that we don't get games, because now with the Switch, i think we cannot expect Gamefreak too poop out new generations every 3 years, since the Switch is a complexer console than the Handheld games ever were, especially if we want Gamefreak to go push their own and the games limits even further, taking into consideration that both Oddysey and BOTW took 5 year to produce.

This is why i expect 2020 as a gap year. 2021 is gonna give us a remake and then 2022 is gonna give us a Lets Go game (Or the other way around) and then in 2023 we get a new generation with a gap year in 2024.
Actually, that's not true. Switch's architecture is much easier to work with than the 3DS. Multiple developers out there have said this, IIRC.

i mean at some point they're going to have to make changes. they now have main pairs, revisits/director's cuts, remakes, and Let's Go. have four types of games is just not sustainable.

They've got away with it for so long because there was no real alternative and it was standard practise, now there is an alternative, and that alternative is becoming standard practise.

Its been a standard practise for a long while, I honestly would be surprised if they ever did take the traditional DLC path. I know we already have pokemon and events locked behind specific other paywalls.

At the very least if they add the usual move tutors that they never add in the first game of each generation and slap a 15-230 dollar DLC / Season Pass with additional story / mythical content and some new forms and the like that would be cool especially for VGC purposes.

While super unlikely I really want them to give us a DLC seasonpass like Xenoblade 2 offered. That was insane deal for its cost, so much content and a literal new game inside it.

Gen 1 (GB): RGBY
Gen 2 (GBC): GSC
Gen 3 (GBA): RSE (FRLG) Gen 1 Remake
Gen 4 (DS): DPPt (HGSS) Gen 2 Remake
Gen 5 (DS): BW (B2W2)
Gen 6 (3DS): XY (ORAS) Gen 3 Remake
Gen 7 (3DS): SM (USUM)
Gen 8 (Switch): SwSh (Gen 4 Remake)

Yeah, I see a pattern. They would take a brake on a third or sequal game and instead focus on a remake of an older title. I have a gut feeling that Gen 4 will be next.

I don’t really understand what you’re trying to do with the patterns- I deeply love Gen 4, it was the first Pokemon game I ever played, but I don’t think we’re going to find any sort of sign that will tell us that a remake is definitely coming. Most people seem to think that it’s likely, and most people also seem to want the remakes to happen. I just don’t think they’ve made a secret puzzle that if we solve it, we can prove what they’re they’re thinking and what’s coming next.

None of the things you’re claiming as hints make any sense to me- I think if they are going to drop hints for DP remakes, it’ll be after the release of SWSH.

Well hoenn remakes had a big hint in the fact that torchic was given away as a mystery gift and only mega evolution of hoenn starter in x and y

I don’t really understand what you’re trying to do with the patterns- I deeply love Gen 4, it was the first Pokemon game I ever played, but I don’t think we’re going to find any sort of sign that will tell us that a remake is definitely coming. Most people seem to think that it’s likely, and most people also seem to want the remakes to happen. I just don’t think they’ve made a secret puzzle that if we solve it, we can prove what they’re they’re thinking and what’s coming next.

None of the things you’re claiming as hints make any sense to me- I think if they are going to drop hints for DP remakes, it’ll be after the release of SWSH.
Hints were shown all the way back in Gen 7 apparently. Gen 8 could be the pairing game that mirrors Kalos with Hoenn.

Well hoenn remakes had a big hint in the fact that torchic was given away as a mystery gift and only mega evolution of hoenn starter in x and y
Agreed. Perhaps GF will probably do the same with Gen 4. Like have a Piplup hold a special item that'll allow Empoleon to learn a new ability. Like if true, Armour evolution.

So... trying to update my date list- should I just chuck the figurines that were supposed to be revealed in February? I get the feeling that neither of them were particularly interesting seeing as they haven't shown up yet, and apparently at least one of them was just a Detective Pikachu Mewtwo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom