• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How I see it (still working things out). Based on the pattern of a new Gen every 3 years, and the remake pattern.

2019 - Pokémon Sword & Shield
2020 - Diamond & Pearl Remakes
2021 - Lets Go Johto
2022 - Generation 9
2023 - Break Year
2024 - Gen 9 Remix
2025 - Generation 10
2026 - Black & White Remakes

2019 - 2020 seems like a lot. Actually the only reason why I put Lets Go Johto in the 2021 slot is because I’m not sure if Gamefreak will skip out on the 25th anniversary. They could rush Gen 9 and have it a year early, or delay Diamond/Pearl Remakes till 2021. If that’s the case this might be the set-up...

2019 - Pokémon Sword & Shield
2020 - Break Year
2021 - Diamond & Pearl Remakes
2022 - Generation 9
2023 - Generation 9 Remix
2024 - Break Year
2025 - Generation 10
2026 - Black & White Remakes

2023 and 2024 are interchangeable. 2023 could be a break year giving them a year before a remix/sequel/ultra whatever, or they could pull a US/UM and release it right after. Or we get another Lets Go game.

I don't see the point of speculating much about potential Gen 4 remakes. I can't believe after the Sword/Shield announcement, people are actually still thinking about Gen 4 remakes. I get it because Sinnoh is actually my favorite region and games, but honestly, it's the last thing on my mind at this point, especially with no real reason to speculate whether D/P/Pt remakes are coming next or not.

Anyway, I really do love the city's theme. It kind of gives me Slateport City vibes with the bells, but honestly it feels like its own thing, especially with the instruments chosen for the melody.

P.S. Can someone please come up with a better abbreviation than "Sw/Sh"? It's just an eyesore to me compared to previous ones, and it's only slightly better if you capitalize all of the letters.

Keep any eye out in Gen 8 for any special treatment for a Sinnoh starter or even Sinnoh mon.
Also Kalos had some Gen 3 Pokemon, but not many and that was a hint in hindsight.

Sinnoh and UK link so well, colder climates, the whole space time theme.
As a kid a friend told me that Sinnoh was based on the UK and it made sense, obviously not the shape of the land, but the split into 3 parts (east, west, northern, like Wales, England Scotland) the space time connection, with Mt Coronet, effectively a massive line going down the centre like the Meridian

Agreed. Perhaps GF will probably do the same with Gen 4. Like have a Piplup hold a special item that'll allow Empoleon to learn a new ability. Like if true, Armour evolution.

We don’t know if AE will actually be a gimmick in the game as ME was in Gen 6. The logo featuring something else is actually an hint of AE not happening,

I think there’s too much focus on a possible connection with Sinnoh, while in truth so far there’s not really much to hint towards it. Even the legendary’s possible RL lore being Nordic, as well
as Galar being based on England/UK could hint more of a connection to Kalos then Sinnoh.

I know Gen 4 remakes are something many are looking forward to, expecially after Gen 7 getting a Gen 1 remake instead of DPP, but I think at this point it seems a bit of stretch.

I don't see the point of speculating much about potential Gen 4 remakes. I can't believe after the Sword/Shield announcement, people are actually still thinking about Gen 4 remakes. I get it because Sinnoh is actually my favorite region and games, but honestly, it's the last thing on my mind at this point, especially with no real reason to speculate whether D/P/Pt remakes are coming next or not.

Anyway, I really do love the city's theme. It kind of gives me Slateport City vibes with the bells, but honestly it feels like its own thing, especially with the instruments chosen for the melody.

P.S. Can someone please come up with a better abbreviation than "Sw/Sh"? It's just an eyesore to me compared to previous ones, and it's only slightly better if you capitalize all of the letters.
SSd, maybe? Both end with a "d." We're not using SS because that was Soul Silver, right?

We don’t know if AE will actually be a gimmick in the game as ME was in Gen 6. The logo featuring something else is actually an hint of AE not happening,

I think there’s too much focus on a possible connection with Sinnoh, while in truth so far there’s not really much to hint towards it. Even the legendary’s possible RL lore being Nordic, as well
as Galar being based on England/UK could hint more of a connection to Kalos then Sinnoh.

I know Gen 4 remakes are something many are looking forward to, expecially after Gen 7 getting a Gen 1 remake instead of DPP, but I think at this point it seems a bit of stretch.

Gen 1 remakes were due before Gen 4 remakes, as FRLG came out before DP. We will almost certainly get something like LG2J before Gen 5 remakes as HGSS were before BW.

THe logos mean nothing, the SM logos had Z Crystals, but made no reference to Alolan forms. This Pokeball with 3 white dashes are obviously something new, but that doesn't rule out another new feature as well.

XD I dunno, SWSH is kind of a funny abbreviation.

Their game is going to sell well anyways.

USUM and LGPE were both poorly received, they sold well but that was because people pre order them on Pokemon's reputation alone, ironically you can't really register your displeasure with a game after having bought it. I seem to recall some were cancelling pre orders as well.

So yeah GF are under immense pressure, and so they should be too be honest.

I agree with all of this. I doubt Armor will actually be a thing - it sounds cheesy even for GameFreak, and it'd literally be ripping off Digimon. The logo in the Japanese logo appears on the gyms, so I'm not even certain our new feature this generation is a battle mechanic. The only reason anyone believes the AE leak is because it got the names and setting right, but there have already been other fake "leaks" that predicted that but are already proven false. I don't see how that one is any more credible. It doesn't help that the confirmed fake Scorbunny final evo that has been getting a lot of attention is perpetuating this rumor.

SSd, maybe? Both end with a "d." We're not using SS because that was Soul Silver, right?
Possibly, honestly what's wrong with S/S? SoulSilver doesn't have the slash, so they still could be distinguishable.

LGEP and USUM sold amazingly even after the sales of people who pre ordered came in

I wish people would counting a loud small minority as a the voice of the whole franchise

90% of people who buy Pokémon games are casuals and don’t even visit Pokémon sits. They play games and done with it

Gen 1 remakes were due before Gen 4 remakes, as FRLG came out before DP. We will almost certainly get something like LG2J before Gen 5 remakes as HGSS were before BW.

THe logos mean nothing, the SM logos had Z Crystals, but made no reference to Alolan forms. This Pokeball with 3 white dashes are obviously something new, but that doesn't rule out another new feature as well.

They weren’t really due before Gen 4 remakes. The only reason for LGPE’s existence is GF’s intention of creating a game with new features, as well as simplified ones, for a wider market, after GO’s success. Maybe a bit of pandering towards the original Gen as well. I doubt in their mind they created LGPE as to respect a timeline and following with a second remake of RGBY. That is further demonstrated by the fact that LGPE isn’t a traditional remake.

True, but Alolan forms, although a gimmick, aren’t a feature strictly related to combat, as Megas and Z moves where, and as this new one seems to be.

I don’t discount the possibility of AE being in, but its presence and absence won’t discount the possibility of a connection with Sinnoh, neither it’d prove it (and to be honest, if the leak was true and we’d get an Armoured Charizard, I can guarantee we’d get Charmander in SWSH).

I forgot that there is, howewer, an hint towards Sinnoh: Munchlax. At least in terms of origin, it makes possible that the protagonist is from this region, as SM PC was and had a domestic Meowth.

Last edited:
I hope that the Japanese name of Extreme Eevoboost doesn't mean we won't get new Eeveelutions (or that we may get only one). One day, the Eevee line should cover all the types.
They could change it to Nine Evol Boost + 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom