• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pretty much think the appearance of the final evolution is the only thing that matters. It's what makes or breaks a Pokemon for me. All else is irrelevant.

Given that Alolan Muk looks considerably cooler and scarier looking than regular Muk, plus is stronger, I'd say it's a no brainer than Alolan Muk is better.
That still leaves Alolan Exeggutor, Persian, Dugtrio, and Golem as looking pretty goofy. And debatably also Raticate with its fat cheeks and Raichu with its marshmallow body. If you take out Muk and don't count any of the pre-evos, we're still left with at least 4/10 regional variant lines ending with pretty goofball designs. That's nearly half and a disproportionate majority.

I love regional variants but I can't deny that most of them looked like someone was just having one hell of a laugh.

That still leaves Alolan Exeggutor, Persian, Dugtrio, and Golem as looking pretty goofy. And debatably also Raticate with its fat cheeks and Raichu with its marshmallow body. If you take out Muk and don't count any of the pre-evos, we're still left with at least 4/10 regional variant lines ending with pretty goofball designs. That's nearly half and a disproportionate majority.

I love regional variants but I can't deny that most of them looked like someone was just having one hell of a laugh.

I think Alolan Golem looks pretty great, but then I am also a fan of Probopass. :p

I actually dislike Raichu, but Alolan Raichu actually looks genuinely better than Pikachu. It's very cool and a fitting form for the true evolution of Pikachu. Sad that it'll never show up again.

Alolan Dugtrio, once you get pass those laughs, actually has a more interesting design than the original. I wouldn't bother putting the original on my team as they look boring, but the Alolan form is a solid choice for a team member.

In my opinion, almost all of Alolan forms look better than the original. The sole exception for me is Persian, but I dislike the original Persian so whatever.

I think Alolan Golem looks pretty great, but then I am also a fan of Probopass. :p

I actually dislike Raichu, but Alolan Raichu actually looks genuinely better than Pikachu. It's very cool and a fitting form for the true evolution of Pikachu. Sad that it'll never show up again.

Alolan Dugtrio, once you get pass those laughs, actually has a more interesting design than the original. I wouldn't bother putting the original on my team as they look boring, but the Alolan form is a solid choice for a team member.

In my opinion, almost all of Alolan forms look better than the original. The sole exception for me is Persian, but I dislike the original Persian so whatever.
XD The point is still that the designs were overwhelmingly goofy and we'd like to see them do more regional variant designs that don't fall into that category.

Yo did someone just diss my sweet baby Alolan Persian? He is perfect. He is grace. He's just one of them kitties with the smooshed round face.

Persian is such a huge downgrade in design for Meowth. Making its head fat doesn't really improve it. I'll grant that Alolan Persian might not be worse than the original Persian though.

But Alolan Meowth is still better than Alolan Persian either way, same as the original.

Persian is such a huge downgrade in design for Meowth. Making its head fat doesn't really improve it. I'll grant that Alolan Persian might not be worse than the original Persian though.

But Alolan Meowth is still better than Alolan Persian either way, same as the original.
I will admit, as much as I enjoy Alolan Persian and some of the earlier Persian sprites, I've always vastly preferred Meowth to Persian. It's such a stylish and unique cartoon cat design, and for how big Meowth's role in the anime is, I've always been surprised and a little disappointed that its nowhere near as prominently featured in merchandise and games as Pikachu is. Shouldn't it at least be somewhere close? And Persian is kind of just a normal cat... not really what I want my Meowth to evolve into, it always feels like a downgrade.

Not that any Kanto Pokemon need much more attention, and the Alolan forms were definitely appreciated, I'm just saying that I wouldn't complain if they gave Meowth more nice things.

Game Boy: I
Game Boy Color: II
Game Boy Advance: III
Nintendo DS: IV, V
Nintendo 3DS: VI, VII
Nintendo Switch: VIII

This is of course not including LGPE

6 different consoles, 7 different series, 8 different Generations.

I will admit, as much as I enjoy Alolan Persian and some of the earlier Persian sprites, I've always vastly preferred Meowth to Persian. It's such a stylish and unique cartoon cat design, and for how big Meowth's role in the anime is, I've always been surprised and a little disappointed that its nowhere near as prominently featured in merchandise and games as Pikachu is. Shouldn't it at least be somewhere close? And Persian is kind of just a normal cat... not really what I want my Meowth to evolve into, it always feels like a downgrade.

Not that any Kanto Pokemon need much more attention, and the Alolan forms were definitely appreciated, I'm just saying that I wouldn't complain if they gave Meowth more nice things.
Doesn't help that Meowth was also going to be a middle-stage Pokémon like Pikachu, but Konya got cut (possibly) twice, he got a tech demo for the Gamecube that possibly got turned into Pokémon Channel (a Pikachu game), and he is only in three regional Pokédexes. Even with the anime he doesn't get much attention.

Doesn't help that Meowth was also going to be a middle-stage Pokémon like Pikachu, but Konya got cut (possibly) twice, he got a tech demo for the Gamecube that possibly got turned into Pokémon Channel (a Pikachu game), and he is only in three regional Pokédexes. Even with the anime he doesn't get much attention.
Konya is such a loss for Meowth. =( Game Freak, bring it back please. New babies, new evos, new variants, new megas- we want them all!

I can't find the picture, but a while ago, somebody has guessed the names of the players based on the japanese names for Sword and Shield. The Male Character being called Ken, whilst the Female Player Sophia or Sophie, I'm unsure?

I can't find the picture, but a while ago, somebody has guessed the names of the players based on the japanese names for Sword and Shield. The Male Character being called Ken, whilst the Female Player Sophia or Sophie, I'm unsure?
The "Ken" part reminds of me of what @RileyXY1 suggested, but I can't recall anyone mentioning Sophia. Kinda unfitting if we go by the themes, since they would be "sword" and "wisdom".

The protagonists' default names usually don't relate to the game titles, with the exception of Red/Green (or Blue, depending on country), Gold/Kris in GSC, and Elio & Selene in SM . We have Brendan/May in RSE, Lucas/Dawn in DPPt, Hilbert/Hilda in BW, Nate/Rosa in BW2, Calem/Serena in XY, Ray/Ailey in USUM, and Chase/Elaine in LGPE. And, if remakes count, then we have Ethan/Lyra in HGSS.

The protagonists' default names usually don't relate to the game titles, with the exception of Red/Green (or Blue, depending on country), Gold/Kris in GSC, and Elio & Selene in SM . We have Brendan/May in RSE, Lucas/Dawn in DPPt, Hilbert/Hilda in BW, Nate/Rosa in BW2, Calem/Serena in XY, Ray/Ailey in USUM, and Chase/Elaine in LGPE. And, if remakes count, then we have Ethan/Lyra in HGSS.
I know, but @Champion Cynthia said that someone said that the PC's names could be based on the titles, which is why I'm pointing out that "Sophia" doesn't fit.

So what would CoroCoro have when it leaks this week? Hopefully it would reveal the cover legendaries at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom