• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gold and Silver DS: Discussion, Debate, Wishlists

Status
Not open for further replies.
about that pal park thing i was thinking, that would be weird won't it they sell you a new hand held but to get all the features you would need e older hand held ,then some people would get seriously pissed.
or they give you download able pokemon via the browser of the dsi but else i wouldn't know

about that pal park thing i was thinking, that would be weird won't it they sell you a new hand held but to get all the features you would need e older hand held ,then some people would get seriously pissed.

Yes, but there is a reason it should be included until a true successor comes that replaces the DS, not everyone will have a DSi, unlike me who has both a DS Lite and DSi

shit!E3 is really close lol! i cant wait!! there definatly is going to be some new release info. or info on the "never before seen in a pkmn game" stuff their adding!

There is nothing to state so. If anything, until we know for sure, the game will be like Platinum compared to D/P in terms of enhancements to colours, sound and speed of play. It got faster since D/P, sound was slightly enhanced and in DSi the screen enhanced the colour, and the sound was a little better, but that was it. And because not everyone will have taken to the DSi yet, until we know for sure, I'll say there will be a Pal Park like system in these games.

Why would it being DSi enhanced prevent it from having Pal Park? What about Diamond/Pearl/Platinum what happens when you go to pal park using the DSi? It probably won't work because there's no game in the GBA Slot. I seriously don't see how something being DSi enhanced automatically says it's not going to use a pal park service inside the game when people play it on their DS or DS Lite.

I wonder if (assuming Kanto is in this game) my LeafGreen monsters will retain their original locations instead of just saying "Kanto".

At the very least, my Charmander was hatched on Route 27, which will be in the game no matter what, so I'm curious if it will show on its stats.

I wonder if (assuming Kanto is in this game) my LeafGreen monsters will retain their original locations instead of just saying "Kanto".

At the very least, my Charmander was hatched on Route 27, which will be in the game no matter what, so I'm curious if it will show on its stats.

Hmm... Thats never happened before, I wonder, maybe it will still say "Kanto" as it came from another region? Not the main one Johto.

I'd understand if the Hoenn monsters merely said "Hoenn", but I think that if Kanto is in the game, it'd be logical to have the specific locations listed on FireRed and LeafGreen monsters.

Route 27? Wasn't that a GSC exclusive Route? I thought Kanto Routes in Gens I and III ended with Route 25...

By the way, for the ones who were sure that Ninty was going to change the names for the international release, NoA has patented the trademarks for HeartGold and SoulSilver in the USA, so we won't get different names.

Route 27? Wasn't that a GSC exclusive Route? I thought Kanto Routes in Gens I and III ended with Route 25...

By the way, for the ones who were sure that Ninty was going to change the names for the international release, NoA has patented the trademarks for HeartGold and SoulSilver in the USA, so we won't get different names.

Umm yes route 27 was a GSC exclusive route.

And who the hell thought that they were going to change the names for the international release?

^People who aren't happy with the names.

I always figured Pal Park would be incorporated into the Time Capsule somehow. But given how the games seem to be moving away from dependency on the last generation, it's possible they'd just leave it out.

they should really keep pal park. that was one of my favorite additions in DPPt. they will keep it as these remakes r techinacally gen.4. in gen.5 maybe not,who knows?? and E3 is june 4,5,6?

Maybe by Gen V, it might be on a new gaming system, depending on how long Nintendo take to create one, because Game freak should be working on the next games by mid next year giving that a year on since the remakes will be out, new ones should be announced to take their place, and if a new console does take place os DSi, I am sure it will use a DS Slot, and it will act like a GBA slot and a new Pal Park to Gen V games.

But since I can't see Nintendo having a new console out until sometime in 2011, the first Gen V games might be for DSi either this or Game freak will need to create a game(s) after the remakes but before the new console, because a year on, Gen IV will be really getting on and we will need new games to replace our finishing with the remakes (well Japanese players anyway) whether or not Nintendo have a new console in works or not, and even if they did, Game Freak would need to familiarise themselves with it and create a game to run with it, which might take a while as more reason to have the next game after remakes for DSi, but this is getting offtopic.

And who the hell thought that they were going to change the names for the international release?

The day the remakes were finally announced, I recall some people complaining that they didn't like the names, and then someone replied: "hope they'll change them for American release, maybe they will" or something like that..

The day the remakes were finally announced, I recall some people complaining that they didn't like the names.

True, I recall that too, does not mean the names will ever be changed. I know the names are defiantly not what we were expecting, but whatever, they are here to stay, unless Game Freak decide to change them, which I can't see them doing.

True, I recall that too, does not mean the names will ever be changed. I know the names are defiantly not what we were expecting, but whatever, they are here to stay, unless Game Freak decide to change them, which I can't see them doing.

Theres not really any point changing the names in the first place. Just because a few people dont like the names doesnt mean they need to change them.

The people that dont like the names will just have to live with it.

It's too late to change them, they're already trademarked in the US, which means those will be the American (and thus, the international) names.

Theres not really any point changing the names in the first place. Just because a few people dont like the names doesnt mean they need to change them.

The people that dont like the names will just have to live with it.

Totally agree with you. My original point was not that Nintendo will/would change the names, but that I recall that one of the guys complaining about that actually hoped Nintendo would change them.

------------------

I think Generation V will be released on DSi (I don't know if compatible with previous DS like GS was with the original Game Boy, or DSi exclusive) or else the franchise will have to take a break (the end of the anime?). But that wouldn't hurt me: on the other side, if they're going to make the next group of Pokémon main games for the same console, they're gonna have to really improve on the franchise (and not only adding new graphical enhencements), maybe revamp a lot of things, if they want them to be considered a true new generation. So for me it's fine, and in the meanwhile, let's enjoy HGSS, since they might be the last Pokémon games as we know them (if my "revamping for the next gen" theory is true).

-----------------------------

By the way, may I get a little off-topic? I was gonna post this in the "GSC sucked" thread by d.aisuke, but since it's now closed...
Someone in that thread said GenerationII was the one with the least new features brought to the franchise, but I think that's not true, so I'll make a comparisson (of course, I'll only take on account relevant features):

Gen II introduced:
1. Gender and breeding (put them together since they have one single purpose)
2. Dark and Steel types
3. Berries and held items
4. Special Balls
5. Real-time clock
6. Battle facilities (tough it was until Crystal)
7. Special stat split
8. Move tutors

Gen III introduced:
1. Natures
2. Abilities
3. EV's
4. Contests
5. Double Battles
6. Gym rematches (in Emerald)
7. Battle Frontier

Gen IV introduced:
1. Online gaming (and still, that was already done in Japanese Crystal)
2. Special/Physical move categories being autonomous to their elemental type
3. The Undergreound
4. ...Dawn

See? Generation II introduced as many gameplay features as Gen III, and much more than Gen IV.

Thanks. I needed to spit that (please don't take this as spam, they said the reason that the thread I originally intended to post this was closed because its closeness to this one); now we can go on.

Last edited:
Someone in that thread said GenerationII was the one with the least new features brought to the franchise, but I think that's not true, so I'll make a comparisson (of course, I'll only take on account relevant features):

Gen II introduced:
1. Gender and breeding (put them together since they have one single purpose)
2. Dark and Steel types
3. Berries
4. Special Balls
5. Real-time clock
6. Battle facilities (tough it was until Crystal)
In the case of Berries, it was Held Items in general. Not only the Berries belong there. XP

Also, you forgot the one major core change in Gen 2: Special Stat Split. That was a change as important as the Physical/Special Moves Split in Gen 4.

Don't forget Crystal's introduction of Move Tutors either. A twist on the usual TMs which gives access to pretty useful Moves for a cost. Not irrelevant in the slightest.

Gen III introduced:
1. Natures
2. Abilities
3. EV's
4. Contests
5. Double Battles
6. Gym rematches (in Emerald)
Battle Frontier. Crystal might have introduced Battle Facilities, but it wasn't until the Battle Frontier when we could experience an in-depth use of such feature, with several twists in the regular make-up of the usual Battle System, so I can't pass it off as irrelevant at all.

Gen IV introduced:
1. Online gaming (and still, that was already done in Japanese Crystal)
2. Special/Physical move categories being autonomous to their elemental type
3. Dawn
Honestly, Wi-Fi and the Phone Adapter can't be compared. The fact that the latter wasn't available worldwide makes all the difference. Plus, unless I see it could do the exact same things as Wi-Fi, or more, it's no comparison point. Let's not forget all the intrincacies as is the connection effectiveness, the cost-benefit, and all sorts of stuff, which would most likely put Wi-Fi as a brand new feature in and of itself.

What about the Underground? I don't think a feature that allows you to obtain Items that were extremely rare or difficult to obtain in the past can be passed off as "irrelevant".

I'd add Super Contests in here as well. Yes, Gen 3 introduced Contests, but Super Contests added a major spin to it, too large in design to be considered the same thing as Gen 3 Contests. The style might be the same, but the substance has changed considerably.

Also, what about Dawn? You mean Dawn the girl character? You really had me lost there.

See? Generation II introduced as many gameplay features as Gen III, and much more than Gen IV.
All Generations have added an equal amount of things to the table, relatively. I won't pass that off. Gen 4 added less because, as it is, there's very little to add to the overall design of the Pokémon games anymore. As such, I'd have to agree with you that maybe Gen 5 will completely change the way Pokémon games work.

I was going to post this in d.aisuke's GSC suck's thread, but it was locked when I finished typing.
Yeah, I think Tina's wanted to close the thread since I posted it.
I can't see how NEP would have different stats. I'm curious about whether it'll evolve or not, but I can't imagine how they'd stop it from doing so without classfying it as an entirely differnet species...if you're even allowed to catch it at all.

If it evolves, it stats will probably be just a little bit higher than a regular Pichu.

If it doesn't evolve, I see it getting a 200+ stat boost, bringing it's Bast Stat Total to the 400-600 range.

Junichi Masuda is claiming that he created it in the Platinum interviews, anyways, and that its "his baby" (figuratively speaking using baby as a pet project one fawns over) and his favorite Pokemon. "I wanted to create a Pokemon that was just like Pikachu but better and cuter and I totally did and Pichu is just so damn awesome." is the best summation of what he's been saying.
Matsuda is full of shit, because Tajiri had a hand in the creation of all the Pokemon before Treecko. That I know for a fact. I can recall a GS interview where he( Tajiri) said how he and Ken Sugimori came up with Pichu. In fact, he basically said what Matsuda is going around saying, and they can't be both telling the truth.

This is even more off topic, but has anyone noticed how Matsuda seems to be the Man in Charge these past few years? I know that Tajiri is reclusive, but you don't hear about him ever. EVER.
Why is that?

And whoever created Pichu they succeeded imo, 'cause Pichu is my favorite pokemon, and it sucks that I can't use it in-game. ):
Maybe Gizamimi will change that. :)

As I said, I was excited about NEP when I thought it signaled that all Pokemon were getting bred variations. Now that its just one special Pichu, I can't imagine anyone going out of their way to actually want a Pichu with a funny ear and thinking that is interesting. Unownlord thinks that because its from the past the Pichu should have Legendary-tier stats, but the concept of an event Pichu that you capture and has stats on par with Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, and Shaymin - and the explanation is that it has a slightly different ear and is from the past? That's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of. I think this is just Junichi Masuda's trying to whore out Pichu since he created it himself to be the next big successor to Pikachu in terms of marketability and cuteness, but it never really caught on compared to regular Pikachu.

UL is theorizing just like the rest of us, and he doesn't really have any proof what-so-ever. ... Just like the rest of us. Matsuda talked about that new gaming mechanic that's "OMFG BRAND SPANKIN' NEW AND FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!" and I highly doubt that the starter following you is it. The breeding additions sound very likely imo.
I missed when it was confirmed that it was only the gizamimi event Pichu that was a Pokemon with a physical deformity.

Yeah, as I said in another topic, Sugimori and company seem to have a hard time including Fire-type Pokemon because no real animals live in fire, and they only seem to remember to do it if the animal is already red. Otherwise, they generally just convert the animal based on its habitat (this lives in a tree and is green = grass type, this lives in the water = water-type, this lives in active volcanoes = nothing on Earth). And when they do create fire-types, it often means the team had to look at a real-life animal and ask themselves "What would this thing be like if I lit it on fire?" So Fire ends up being the rarest of the six main types (Grass, Water, Fire, Electric, Flying, Normal) in the series. Sadly. For Gen V, they just need to take a big stack of animals and light them all on fire if need be.

Yeah, I've been observing that, I can't understand it myself. Since Fire > Grass, why not just make carnivorous Pokemon Fire-types? It makes sense, and I do it all the time.
FUCK, I NEED to get in contact with Matsuda, Sugimori and GF
I think Generation V will be released on DSi (I don't know if compatible with previous DS like GS was with the original Game Boy, or DSi exclusive) or else the franchise will have to take a break (the end of the anime?). But that wouldn't hurt me: on the other side, if they're going to make the next group of Pokémon main games for the same console, they're gonna have to really improve on the franchise (and not only adding new graphical enhencements), maybe revamp a lot of things, if they want them to be considered a true new generation. So for me it's fine, and in the meanwhile, let's enjoy HGSS, since they might be the last Pokémon games as we know them (if my "revamping for the next gen" theory is true).

I don't see this happening for several reasons.
The DSi is a "filler" BS game system, and it's really only buying time.
A DSi Gen would be verry much akin to GII, and I don't see them repeating that. But that's just my opinion. Judging from the past, each Gen is as long as or longer than the previous Gen, and since the 3rd was 4 years (2002-2006) GIV will be at least four if not 5. 2009 is only the 3 year. if GV were to be released in 2011 it would be 1 year longer than GIV, and 2 years after the last main series Pokemon title, assuming HGSS is the last main series title of this gen (which I doubt it will be).

@Orion:

Gen II: the Special Split was in my mind when I wrote the post, but I forgot it as I typed it XD I'll edit it. Move Tutors I admit it, totally forgot about them XD. This gives us 8 points.

Gen III: Well, taking into account your point, Battle Fontier leaves us with 7 important additions to the franchise.

Gen IV: Why did you complain about online? I still gave the point to Gen IV and not Gen II <3. Super Contest I didn't count them because they're not a new feature, but an improvement of an already existing one. "Dawn" was sarchastic because I couldn't find nothing else and just two additions looked quite lame. Because yes, I think the underground is whole lotta fun, but I see it as a gimmick. And the items you get there, well, in previous games are already available by other means (even if they are hard to get, but doesn't difficulty adds value to a game?). But if I take Super Contests and the Undergorund, the total for Gen IV is... 5 if we keep Dawn... still faraway from the two previous generations.

Still it proves that Gen II had a lot of novelties and relevant additions to the franchise. Anyways, this was off-topic, but thanks for the reply and the corrections =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom