• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

I name almost all my pokémon something. Quite often I just take a part of the pokémon's name and either repeat it or tack a -ちゃん or -くん or -タロ or -コ at the end (nazonazo the oddish, yukiko the dewgong and hanachan the jumpluff spring to mind).

Milotic - Marilyn
After the prettiest woman that ever existed, Marilyn Monroe.

Crobat - Bruce
Bats are always Bruce.

Spoink - Miss Piggy
Miss Piggy is my idol.

Raichu - Minnie
See, it's a mouse pokémon...

Wailmer - Moby
Moby Dick! The best lesson on cetaceans you'll ever get from a novel!

Houndoom - Keruberosu
It's close enough - the JP versions only allow 5 letters, so kanas give me longer names...

Piplup - Pingu
After one of the best kids' programs ever. :3

Psyduck - Ahiru
Ahiru = duck.

Male Combee - Honeyboy

2 Sentrets - Tiuhti&Viuhti
My aunt used to have ferrets by those names.

Abra - Spoon
See, it has spoons...

Re: Clever Pokemon nicknames

Completely random, but

Muffims:) - Crobat, because that sucker can Eat!

Sometimes I just like to give random ones,like Sarah,my Primeape.
My Wobbuffet duo are Jelly and Glossy.Obvious reasoning.

Oh yeah,not to forget about Ursaring:
Carebear uses BearHug!

I only started nicknaming my team in HG(it's German,though):

Typhlosion=Erupto(from Eruption)
Sunflora=Cornelia(Sunflowers are kind of corny)
Wobbuffet=Fynn(Just sounds blue)
Walrein=Russel(Walrus)

Those are the only ones that make sense in English.

Have you ever been really thrilled
Felicity

Didja know that's also latin for beauty?
I named an Eevee that.

I love nicknames. I don't nickname a pokemon unless I'm satisfied with the name. I have a list of names I plan on using. I'm that picky. In my current Ruby PT, I have a Meditite named Chermaine, a Mawile named Skweej:rolleyes:, a Pelipper named Darling, A Girafarig named Queenston, a Zangoose named Kitcaliber, and a Sceptile named Dreadfan.

The only one I'm particularly proud of is when I named my honchkrow from diamond "Hed Honcho" supposed to be head honcho, but darn character limit!

CocoBanana the Tropius. It sounds like Copacabana, and Tropius is brown (Cocoa) and Banana-y. Simples.

Re: Pokemon Nicknames! What have you named your team and what meanings do the names h

I'm usually to lazy to nickname outside of PMDE, but there's... More from me? This time..... LION KING?!

Luxray: Simba
Bibarel: Timon
Mamoswine: Pumbaa
Infernape: Rafiki
Houndoom: Shenzi
Chatot: Zazu

I always name Pichu the nickname "Pickle" since it's similar to the real name and it somehow fits Pichu in a cute way.

Ahaha, I just name my Pokemon randomly most of the time. I either string syllables together or pick something out of a name dictionary. I do have some staple nicknames, but I generally try to vary them from game to game.
I did name all my Pokemon after food in a gimmick runthrough, though.

Mono eletric

Raichu = PikaGotFat (Raichu is a fat Pikachu)
Zapdos = TwinLazer (Dos = two = twin)
Magnezone = Red Zone (both end in zone)
Raikou = Kitty!!1!
Minun(Shiny) = Easter (Bunny :p)
Eletrivire = Scampi (had the song stuck in my head)

Makine more theme'd teams, so I'll be back soon.

Back in the R/S/E days when I wanted nothing more than to be a hardcore gangsta rapper I named my Sceptile G-Unit and my Marshtomp Young Buck, oh and for FR/LG I had a Blastoise named 50 Cent. Sadly I never got around to naming something after Tony Yayo or Lloyd Banks

Most of mine are pirate-themed -- just for the hell of things. For example, I've got a Feraligatr named "Cpt.Crunch" and a Tangrowth called "Mr. Hands," as well as a Cacturne that I'm still raising named "Lt. Prick."

Maganium: Harry first name that came into my head lol

Espeon: Fred just another random name lol

Slowking: Hope again just another random name

Ho oh: Cascada after the band lol

Ponyta: Taylor after Taylor Swift

Dragonair: Cheryl after Cheryl Cole

My Pearl Team right now (having restarted and beaten the first two gyms):

Luxray: Bard, for Shakespeare
Golbat: Zale, gale with a "z" for when it was zubat
Staraptor: Penta, as a star is a "pentagram".
Piplup: Apollo, after Apollo Ohno, of course
Bibarel (HM Slave): Caudex, which means "block-head" in Latin

Togekiss-Scrambled
Umbreon-Stevey
Leafeon- Harvest
Jolteon- Brownie
Dragonite-Toothless
Zapdos-Tazer
Absol-Gale
Tyranitar-Terra
Charizard- Pimpzilla
Blaziken- Popeye
Swampert-Skipper
Venusaur- Crckr Jck
Torterra- Lilbob
Marowack-Bam Bam
Feraligatr- Triton
Spiritomb- Casper
Weavile- Snelly
Hoondoom- Cerberus
Typhlosion-Fluffy
Ursaring 1- Yogi
Ursaring 2- Boo Boo
Gallade-Jack
Arcanine (shiny)- Old Yeller
Rapidash- Charlie

I always, always nickname my team Pokemon. Right now I'm in the middle of replaying my Sapphire Version, and my current team isL

Pikachu (F) - Keiko, meaning "a blessing"
Skarmory (F) - Neytiri, named after the character in Avatar. Skarmory come off as fierce to me, as did that character
Gloom (F) - Gemma, who I named after a spunky character in a book
Mightyena (M) - Valiant, named to contradict the cowardly category that hyenas are placed under
Gyarados (M) - Triton, the king of the sea
Combusken (M) - Bruce, er... after Bruce Lee, haha.

I started using creative(?) nicknames again in SoulSilver. I've nicknamed my whole main team and a handful of others; I'll name the others when I come up with something exciting or when I pick them up for training etc. They're usually based on the Pokémon species name or appearance.

Main team:
* Magnum (Meganium)
* Echydna (Typhlosion)
* Agator (Feraligatr)
* Gasar (Gengar)
* Norly (Noctowl)
* Sparkan (Ampharos)

Other:
* Pigyn (Pidgeot)
* Troodent (Raticate)
* Slitz (Ekans)
* Shrewster (Sandslash)
* Trigid (Dugtrio)
* Dotsy (Ledian)
* Starfy (Cleffa)
* Egexx (Togetic)
* Delgel (Delibird)
* Frosmoch (Smoochum)
* Eleck (Elekid)
* Burblee (Magby)
* Zooomy (Linoone)
* Gulzea (Pelipper)
* Zabon (Bonsly)
* Tumelax (Munchlax)
* Ichim (Chingling)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom