• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW042: Don Battle Tournament! Satoshi vs. Iris!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BW040-42: Don Battle Tournament

:: I don't mind Luke one bit. People only got upset with him because the writers gave him Golett, Larvesta and Zorua.

:: If Iris vs. Luke is the final battle, depending on how Ash loses, I would be delighted. I'd be refreshing to see Iris take the front seat. But I'm confident that was typed wrong and it's the semi-finals.

:: I really doubt the last battle will be 3 vs. 3, because they already showcased all three Pokémon, there would be nothing new in the battles. I'm convinced the last Battle will be Pikachu vs. Zorua.

:: Evolutions, Pokémon historically starts the evo fever after the 4th badge. After Elesa we should expect it, before not so much.

:: Evolutions, Pokémon historically starts the evo fever after the 4th badge. After Elesa we should expect it, before not so much.
I'm actually happy Kibago isn't going to evolve. There's so much more they can do with him before evolution, he and Iris sure has come a long way from being defeated by 10% range Bullet Seed attacks.

I could see a scenario like this. One day Iris is training along with Doryuuzu and having a good time. Kibago looks on at them training, realizing that Doryuuzu is Iris's true first partner Pokemon, and a bit jealous and Kibago is at the strength of around Mijumaru. Kibago realizes ever since Doryuuzu started obeying she's been training him more. They continue training and training harder, and Kibago looks on. Kibago then goes and then a Ononodo trainer shows up, Doryuuzu is eager for a battle. Kibago insist he battles to try to impress Iris, Kibago is quickly defeated by his evolved form sad he goes on and cries running away. Iris sends Emonga to scout for him and him and Emonga have a talk in the trees. Iris then thinks it over,"why Kibago?" Kibago then trains alone to get strong and evolve. Iris shows up and soon after some soul searching Kibago and Iris finds out he only wanted to evolve because Iris wanted him to evolve. Iris then apologizes for not understanding Kibago's feelings, the same way she didn't understand Doryuuzu and says he can evolve only when he wants to. The Ononodo trainer shows up once more for a battle, this time Iris uses her Doryuuzu and Doryuuzu wins the battle. The episode ends with Kibago showing signs of being able to use Dragon Claw or Dig, seeing Doryuuzu use Metal Claw and Dig in battle against Ononodo.

But yeah.................back to the Don Battle.

I feel Kibago needs to learn a new move, like Dual Chop/Slash against Gobito/Zorua.

Last edited:

Iris isn't even winning this thing so I don't understand why you guys keep going on about her.

There's been nothing to indicate she will lose either. I'm speaking from a standpoint if she wins, and the fact that's she's gotten far with relatively little training outside of Excadrill, and she got off free with the Emonga battle.

There's been nothing to indicate she will lose either. I'm speaking from a standpoint if she wins, and the fact that's she's gotten far with relatively little training outside of Excadrill, and she got off free with the Emonga battle.

And where'd you get that info?

For all we know, they've been training a lot offscreen.

I'd like to see some type of correlation between Satoshi, the Champ of Isshu, Shuuti, and Iris. I mean Adeku and Iris look alike already, so I'm just curious what they could draw from that.

I'm sorry but I just can't be convinced that Iris deserves to make it as far as she did. I just can't buy that with the team she entered with she will shine over Ash, Cilan, Trip, Langley, Kenyan, Bianca, and Burgundy ( okay maybe the latter two are understandable). It's not believable in the slightest. This tournament just seemed like another attempt to hype Iris, when there are better opportunities else ware.

It would be much more of an issue if it was Iris alone who was responsible for defeating each and every single one of the characters that you have mentioned. Both Burgundy and Langley had been eliminated in the tournament because they were paired up against, and eventually lost to, Ash. Whether Iris advanced past the first or second rounds has nothing to do with either of those character's eliminations.

The same could very well apply in Trip's situation as well. Cilan is the trainer who will be responsible for defeating Trip in the first round. The writers have decided to allow Cilan, another one of the main characters, to receive more development in this story arc than even the primary rival of this series.

It was expected that Bianca would have been eliminated from the tournament at some point, due to her relative inexperience.

Iris will only be directly responsible for eliminating Kenyan, who in turn was responsible for eliminating Bianca, from this competition. While many will assume that Kenyan is stronger than Iris, we still do not know the circumstances behind the execution of this battle. For example, Emolga appears to be using her Attract move, since she was featured doing so on the scans that have been posted. This move should work, simply because the pokemon Kenyan had chosen to use for the battle is the opposite gender of Iris's Emolga.

We should not underestimate Emolga's skills, not in the least bit. Emolga has proven herself to be a powerful and skilled battler. Remember, this is the same pokemon who was capable of electrocuting a swarm of Swoobats almost singlehandedly. In addition, Emolga had assisted Ash's Snivy in defeating a much larger and more powerful opponent that the latter was unable to defeat herself. Emolga has proven time and time again that she can battle on the same tier as any one of Ash's starters.

The simple issue is: Emolga has rarely battled on Iris's behalf, so many viewers tend to downplay the pokemon's capacity to battle when she is forced into such a situation. Emolga had only battled to her fullest out of her personal gratification or self-interest. We rarely get to see Emolga's true powers in battle because, quite frankly, the pokemon would rather turn tail and run than stay in for the fight.

Even though she hasn't done much, regarding her entire team, to give her a reason to shine above all the notable characters here. Are we suppose to believe, if she wins, she is stronger than everyone here with a half-assed trained team? Sorry, but to put it bluntly, that's bullshit.

It is important to remember that just because a certain trainer advances further in a tournament, it does not mean that he or she is stronger or more capable than every other participant who will also be competing in that same tournament. As a reference, I want to bring up the Ash and Gary example from the Indigo League one more time. Ash might had advanced past one more round than Gary in that tournament, but Gary had much more credentials and experience at the time. To supplement this comparison, Gary was able to defeat Ash in a battle shortly after the latter has successfully completed the Orange League.

The same will also apply in the case of Iris advancing further in this tournament. Iris has not been paired up with powerful trainers like Trip, Burgundy, or even Luke from the get-go. Ash, Cilan, and Luke will be largely responsible for eliminating the majority of Iris's competition from the tournament. Should we assume that Trip is weaker than Ash just because he did not advance past the first round of this tournament, whereas Ash had advanced to at least the semifinals?

I think we should be blaming the writers for purposely placing a random, relatively unimportant COTD in the top 4. Assuming Iris and Luke's battle will take place in the semifinals, Ash is expected to battle either Antonio or Deed in the same round.

This tournament is not the defining moment of any single one of these recurring characters. Ash still needs to earn 5 more badges, so there will be plenty of time for the writers to further develop characters such as Trip or Burgundy. Iris and Cilan will be receiving their development because they are main characters, whereas Luke's entire existence in the anime is more or less dependant on his success in the competition.

Last edited:

I hope Antonio makes it to the semi-finals. I like him, he has a vest.

I hope Antonio makes it to the semi-finals. I like him, he has a vest.

*changes forum set*
Yeah, he's pretty much my only hope in this competition now.

This tournament is not the defining moment of any single one of these recurring characters. Ash still needs to earn 5 more badges, so there will be plenty of time for the writers to further develop characters such as Trip or Burgundy. Iris and Cilan will be receiving their development because they are main characters, whereas Luke's entire existence in the anime is more or less dependant on his success in the competition.

You bring up a good point with this. But I have to be a bit skeptical. While Ash may have 5 more badges to go, and possibly loads of time to develop Trip's character, not many opportunities like this pop up frequently for Ash to publicly show off his skills in front of Trip in a large-scale competitive manner...just saying.

Not gonna discount the possible advancements that'll pop out of the Shooti/Dento battle...but you know, better safe than sorry.

If Luke somehow does make it through and wins this thing...I'm not really going to be looking forward to his league debut.

This wait is really excruciating XD

Iris was a pokemon trainer and battler even before the Satoshi gets his first pokemon.

Do we know if Ash make's it in the final's yet? I won't complain till we get confirmation that Iris V.S Luke is the final battle. Ash has done this thing far longer than Iris, that's why I mind all this.
Yeah just like he lost to a beginner trainer with a freshly obtained Snivy. Just saying.

You guys should all forget what has Ash done in previous regions. Whenever we start a new generation everything he has done in the past is erased and he starts from zero. So I really dont see why should Ash be in the finals and Iris not.

Last edited:

The same will also apply in the case of Iris advancing further in this tournament. Iris has not been paired up with powerful trainers like Trip, Burgundy, or even Luke from the get-go. Ash, Cilan, and Luke will be largely responsible for eliminating the majority of Iris's competition from the tournament. Should we assume that Trip is weaker than Ash just because he did not advance past the first round of this tournament, whereas Ash had advanced to at least the semifinals?

I don't think you can use the Gary example in the Indigo League, simply because Ash did not defeat the person Gary lost to in the same tournament.

Here, if Iris somehow did managed to defeat Luke where both Cilan, and possibly Ash would fail to, it would imply that she's stronger than all three of them wouldn't it, with again...relatively little on screen training done outside of Excadrill, since it also would take place in the same tournament. It would feel very contrived. Cilan losing early on makes sense for example.

Iris was a pokemon trainer and battler even before the Satoshi gets his first pokemon.

So? She still hasn't competed in nearly as many competitions as Ash has. She simply trained around her village with Drilburr.

But that has largely to with Ash having to be "nerfed" to even the odds, and keep him the underdog to make the story appealing for the younger audiences.

Y'all do know that skill isn't the only thing needed in a tournament. Luck is needed too. Tournaments are always like this.

Iris got lucky because most of the "powerhouses" were knocked out early in the tournament.

So? She still hasn't competed in nearly as many competitions as Ash has. She simply trained around her village with Drilburr.

Just cause' she hasn't competed in much competitions as Ash has doesn't prove anything. Her training with Drilbur and having a 99 win streak is enough evidence that Iris is capable. Its never shown Iris can't battle or train a Pokemon. She has hepled Amy with her Druddigon and helped Axew with his Dragon Rage. Her only issue is her Pokemon won't be obedient to her, Excadrill and Emolga being the prime example. So its not that surprising if Iris gets this far it just depends on how she did.

I really cannot see any Pokémon, under the ownership of Ash, Iris, and Cilan, evolving during this tournament.

Ash's roster is Palpitoad, Snivy, and another Pokémon, right? I remember people saying it might be Pikachu, however, I have not seen anything that confirms it. It feels too early for Palpitoad and Snivy ... I always imagined Snivy would be the first Unova Starter of Ash's to evolve, if they will evolve. However, who knows.

Iris' team is obviously Axew, Excadrill, and Emolga. The latter cannot evolve any further and Axew is still a baby. I think a lot of people forget that Axew and Ash's Scraggy are still babies and are relatively weak. I believe those two Pokémon will evolve together since they evolve around the same level, even though the anime ignores levels most of the time, and I cannot see Axew evolving now.

Cilan's team is Pansage, Dwebble, and Stunkfisk. Pansage cannot evolve without a Leaf Stone and Stunkfisk cannot evolve period. I am not really sure about Dwebble. We have seen it battle a couple times, but I just do not know whether the writers would think this is the right time to have it evolve.

I probably could see Luke's Zorua pulling an evolution from thin air to spice things up in the last episode, I guess.

Last edited:

Ash's roster is Palpitoad, Snivy, and another Pokémon, right? I remember people saying it might be Pikachu, however, I have not seen anything that confirms it.

He specifically stated Pikachu would be on his team when he signed up.

Here, if Iris somehow did managed to defeat Luke where both Cilan, and possibly Ash would fail to, it would imply that she's stronger than all three of them wouldn't it, with again...relatively little on screen training done outside of Excadrill, since it also would take place in the same tournament. It would feel very contrived. Cilan losing early on makes sense for example.

I believe it is still too soon to count one's chickens before they hatch. There is no solid or definite proof that Iris and Luke's battle will take place in the finals. The semifinals and the final battle can overlap in the final episode. We cannot say that Iris > Cilan just because Cilan will lose to Luke, and Iris might have a shot at defeating Luke.

I was using the Ash and Gary reference as an account for those who claim that Iris must be better than Burgundy, Cabernet, Trip, or Bianca simply because she advanced to at least the semifinals (not necessarily Luke, because Iris will be paired up against Luke in the semifinals). Unless Ash and Iris are actually shown battling each other in this tournament, this argument is still null and void.

It is also important to keep in mind that all of the trainers are using different pokemon in each round. Can we say that Cilan's Stunfisk (a pokemon that he had recently captured) can defeat Luke's Golett? Or any of Iris's pokemon (much less Axew) have a shot at defeating Luke's Larvesta?

Axew is already at a disadvantage because his Normal-type attack (Scratch) cannot damage Golett. Axew's Dragon Rage can very well be considered a hit or miss move, and Golett can use Double Team. I still believe that Iris and Luke are battling in the semis, and that Iris will lose to Luke like Cilan before her.

Y'all do know that skill isn't the only thing needed in a tournament. Luck is needed too. Tournaments are always like this.

Iris got lucky because most of the "powerhouses" were knocked out early in the tournament.

Well, everyone gets lucky.
Ash is lucky that Langley used her big ol bear in the first round as I'm sure none of his Pokemon would have won against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom