• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customizations?

Its more then that the 2d art for the contest outfits kinda confirm its not in. I just hope it isn't a deal breaker I want these remakes to do well.

I didn't see that as a confirmation. I saw it like all the other clothes you get in contests/triathlon was simply to keep it as special clothes. As the contest clothes are flashy and themed and probably not something you would run around in a desert collecting sand on.

Of course I am as twitchy as everyone as to whether there is character customization because it would be a huge disappointment and it would personally determine what gender I play as (the same damn trouble quite a few people have when choosing what gender they want to play as).

As the days go on I'm now only 55% sure that character customization is included. So I'm pretty sure but very paranoid?

Its more then that the 2d art for the contest outfits kinda confirm its not in. I just hope it isn't a deal breaker I want these remakes to do well.

I didn't see that as a confirmation. I saw it like all the other clothes you get in contests/triathlon was simply to keep it as special clothes. As the contest clothes are flashy and themed and probably not something you would run around in a desert collecting sand on.

Of course I am as twitchy as everyone as to whether there is character customization because it would be a huge disappointment and it would personally determine what gender I play as (the same damn trouble quite a few people have when choosing what gender they want to play as).

As the days go on I'm now only 55% sure that character customization is included. So I'm pretty sure but very paranoid?

Maybe , right now I'm not expecting it though, same with the battle frontier, because if its not in I won't be as mad/sad and if it is in then yes awesome.

Brendan's and May's skin tone and eye color looks very similar to those that were shown on Calem and Serena back in the XY trailers. Don't know if that's a sign though, but I will be happy if it will be a standard feature in the games in the future :)

Neither of them had apparent tans in over-world close ups, though.

Besides we never saw the darker skin tone models in the trailers until they released the screenshots of the selection screen.

I really want customisation. I will be sad if I can't make an albino Brendan :(

I don't like it when they take out cool stuff (such as walking Pokémon in HG and SS).

I really hope that they have it. I'd get the games either way, but there's something so much more personal about looking how you want. Fingers are crossed!

The fact that we're just begging for customization period and not upgraded character customization is awful to me. There should be way, waaay, more clothing/hair/skin color options than there were in X/Y.

But now it's looking like we may not get it at all. Ugh.

The fact that we're just begging for customization period and not upgraded character customization is awful to me. There should be way, waaay, more clothing/hair/skin color options than there were in X/Y.

You know, I never thought about that but you're right. It was an alright start, but give us more! They have an opportunity here to do something good, let's hope that they realize this and take advantage of it.

You know, I never thought about that but you're right. It was an alright start, but give us more! They have an opportunity here to do something good, let's hope that they realize this and take advantage of it.

Yes, this!

Though honestly, if the feature makes it return (like it should), you would expect GF to create more/different options (as certain things are just region exclusive, which I don't think is a problem)

Still, I personally won't be bothered too much if the feature doesn't return in these games, as I quite like the PC designs, but obviously there are lots of people who do want it (and also, if it's not included in these games, I still think it should make a return in any new generations)

Of course I agree and want more, like the skin tones are just... as a youtuber put it 'white, white and half white' there's not much variety. Clothes are also meh as are hats.

I think we're all, me included, wanting customization as currently we don't even know if what X/Y had will even make it into ORAS judging by the new trailers. If it had it confirmed I'm sure we'd all want further customization.

Despite these games being remakes, I don't believe there is any reason good enough not to include proper customisation in these games. it is a feature that most people love, and most people would hate to see discontinued. I believe it would be too risky for Gamefreak to not have customisation anymore.

Whether the "third version" takes place in Kalos or not, it'll obviously have the PSS (they'd drop a feature like that for a remake, but not a third version) and the PSS was the sole reason why customization was decided upon. If a game has PSS and/or isn't a remake, it'll have customization.

And obviously ORAS won't have it.

I sure hope they keep the customization. i want to make my player to have grey hair just like i thought he did when i fist got Sapphire back in 2003. Hopefully if the do bring back customization, they will extend it to the Contest outfits also. I really dont the guy's contest outfit at all.

I really dont the guy's contest outfit at all.

Tell you the truth, I ain't feeling the frilly pink magical girl dress that May got stuck with either.

I'd rather have a unisex male protag contest costume or at least a choice between what Pikachu costume you can dress up as. Heck, I'd even take a Belle Pikachu based costume over the Pop Star based one! I'm just tired of the "All girls like poofy pink dresses!" generalization going on.

I can only hope that once and if full customization returns (if they're not hiding the fact. Yeah, I'm still in denial, so what.) they'll just make more unisex options, baggy T-shirts and non-skinny jeans for the women, and more frills for the guys.

Whether the "third version" takes place in Kalos or not, it'll obviously have the PSS (they'd drop a feature like that for a remake, but not a third version) and the PSS was the sole reason why customization was decided upon. If a game has PSS and/or isn't a remake, it'll have customization.

The icons on PSS were simple sprites--it'd be ludicrous for you to suggest that we're not going to get random match up in ORAS (the feature where customization really mattered) just because its integrated in PSS for XY (as if it couldn't be integrated into the PokeNav for ORAS).

The PSS icons were even more limited than customization, having only the hair, skin tone, hat, and generic shirt color to distinguish you while still having default Trainer icons. In contrast, we have the actual models appearing in Secret Bases. So far we've only seen default trainer classes.

The only thing you have is a lack of confirmation and a mentality to strictly adhere to "the classics" even though we've seen that the games will already deviate greatly from RS with the inclusion of Mega Evolution and Primal Evolution. There's no reason to think that the default trainer appearance is any more sacred.

Wit that said, I doubt we're getting it at this point simply because taking away features is something I fully expect of Game Freak to do given their past track record.

I'd rather have a unisex male protag contest costume or at least a choice between what Pikachu costume you can dress up as. Heck, I'd even take a Belle Pikachu based costume over the Pop Star based one! I'm just tired of the "All girls like poofy pink dresses!" generalization going on.

I thought the same thing. If I am playing as the male protagonist, why can't I dress up in a frilly pink costume? If I am playing as the female protagonist, why can't I dress up in a more punk-ish rocker costume? Not that I really want to, but I would appreciate it if GF implemented the option.

Despite these games being remakes, I don't believe there is any reason good enough not to include proper customisation in these games. it is a feature that most people love, and most people would hate to see discontinued. I believe it would be too risky for Gamefreak to not have customisation anymore.

Customisation was introduced mainly because of the connection with other players in general, not specifically the PSS. ORAS could drop the PSS and yet have another similar feature to connect us with others which would easily benefit having customisation along with it.

The term obviously is a little far, considering there's nothing that I find to be hints against the return of customisation.

I believe we have come far enough into the Pokemon series that customisation is going to become a necessity, with the fact that I doubt Gamefreak is going to go backwards in terms of connecting with other players, and the fact that it is an rpg game based on your own journey. Before customisation even existed, we were more or less playing as ourselves with a set look, instead of a customised look. And just because this is a remake doesn't mean this feature cannot be included.

Oh, I can't find it in Google :/ Does May have to wear a pink dress in contests? That's not fair if she does xD

Amie is confirmed, a gen VI feature, why not the PSS because it seems the same bottom screen will be available because they would have released otherwise like they did with HG/SS.
Again, FR/LG were very similar to R/B but still allowed you to play as a female. They said that ORAS was 'Ruby and Sapphire re-imagined' so not a complete remake, we even have hordes
confirmed in the form of battling trainers.
So why not customization?

Honestly the more I look at everything they've included,
mega evolutions, Amie, hordes and 3D models
the more I think we, me included, have gone into a panic and confirmed ourselves that customization isn't coming back.

Such an important feature, surely GF would have announced it wasn't coming back?

I thought the same thing. If I am playing as the male protagonist, why can't I dress up in a frilly pink costume? If I am playing as the female protagonist, why can't I dress up in a more punk-ish rocker costume? Not that I really want to, but I would appreciate it if GF implemented the option.

I woould at least want to change my player out of that tacky, EDGY looking outfit that makes the character look like he got hit with a Paint Striper Truck. And plus i dont want my avatar to wear a shirt that is way too small for him. Plus i want him to have grey hair also

Oh, I can't find it in Google :/ Does May have to wear a pink dress in contests? That's not fair if she does xD

"You'll also be dressing up when you stand on stage together. Put on the special costume you get from Lisia!"

Seems like you'll only be getting one costume to me. Rock Star Pikachu if you play as a guy, Pop Star Pikachu if you play as a girl. I doubt they'd hide the fact that there was more character art based on the other costumes at this point.

It really sucks when a female pikachu get's more unisex/crossdressing options for costumes than the female player does. Considering it can dress as a punk or a Luchador while you're stuck in the magical girl dress.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom