• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Chuang Yi vs. Viz

Which English version of Pokémon Special is better?

• Chuang Yi

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Viz

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny Noctowl

Go! PikaBot!
Reaction score
Ignoring cost, which English translation of Pokémon Special do you prefer, Viz's horribly censored, watered down version, or Chuang Yi's uncensored version?

EDIT: By "Viz", I mean the recent rereleases, which were heavily edited compared to the original.

Last edited:
I'd prefer Viz. Both versions have errors but at least Viz is now releasing the volumes with the panels the right way, instead of being flipped.

And sure Viz has art edits, but flipping the manga that affects nearly every panel. (I say "nearly" because there were some panels in Viz's first edition that were unflipped, and I'm assuming the same goes for Chuang Yi.)

Viz's version is unflipped, but that's its only advantage over Chuang Yi's version.

Is Viz's version that horribly edited? I was considering getting into the manga, but now, I don't know. :/

Viz's version is unflipped, but that's its only advantage over Chuang Yi's version.

You're a dillusional fuck if you honestly believe this. By any chance are you Singaporean/Chinese? If you are I can see why you'd say that, granted I won't take back my statement about you being a dillusional fuck.

Is Viz's version that horribly edited? I was considering getting into the manga, but now, I don't know. :/

Whatever you do, don't get Viz's new version! Get their original version of the first seven volumes, and use Chuang Yi for the rest.

You're a dillusional fuck if you honestly believe this. By any chance are you Singaporean/Chinese? If you are I can see why you'd say that, granted I won't take back my statement abou you being a dillusional fuck.

No, I'm American. I've temporarily had to stop buying Chuang Yi's version because of the cost, but I'm not buying Viz's version; Viz's rereleases wouldn't even be worth paying $1 for, much less $8.

The only thing Viz "horribly edited" was the scene where Blue rips off her shirt to reveal two Pokeballs in place of her boobs. The scene was covered up, but honestly I think it still flows fine with the edit. Anyway, buy Viz's latest release if you want, it's virtually the same as CI's version, unflipped, and cheaper. Oh, and Viz is now releasing the rest of the series now so it'd be a great investment if you want to start the series.

In my opinion, I love both translations. VIZ may have it's edits but they are only minor or edited for a reason. While Chuang Yi has published most the volumes, they have that advantage. Though I'm not voting on which on is "better".

I like Viz because I'm from America, hence I don't read Chuang Yi. I don't know what's so wrong about it, but then again, I can't read Japanese. :V

I love Viz's translation. Chuang Yi's was horrendous and had huge translation and grammar errors all over the place. In addition, Viz actually gives Gold's voice character, something that CY's was sorely lacking, especially with his Japanese voice as unique as it was.

Lets not forget Chaung Yi and their "Blaze-types, Bellsprout Pagoda, Kingora, VS Paralyzes," and other errors their known for. Their translation is professional, it just has some mistranslations regarding the Pokemon and locations and some characters. They just don't do the research sometimes. Viz on the other hand does, and if volume 8 is any indication they research a bit TOO much.

Viz on the other hand does, and if volume 8 is any indication they research a bit TOO much.

That's one of the problems with Viz: by insisting on being 110% like the games, they ruined a completely translatable pun.

That's one of the problems with Viz: by insisting on being 110% like the games, they ruined a completely translatable pun.

Though would you rather have a lost pun? Or many mistakes with Pokémon names, locations, etc.

Viz is who translated the manga way back in the day for me...So I prefer them...D:

But get this, lawl, it doesn't screw up the plot! Like, unbefuckinglievable!

The one issue I had with Viz's translation of volume 8 is that Mary said she wrote "Boy on a Lapras." :T

However, iirc, this was still much, much better than what Chuang Yi did. (Though I never saw it first hand, since even when Mangafox had the scans it was ZOMGFTA's translation of chapter 91 up there.)

Viz also censored their rereleases; their original releases were uncensored like Chuang Yi's. The censorship completely ruined Green vs. Sabrina, mainly because the replacement made absolutely no sense.

Viz also censored their rereleases; their original releases were uncensored like Chuang Yi's. The censorship completely ruined Green vs. Sabrina, mainly because the replacement made absolutely no sense.

You also have to keep in mind that this is the VIZKids line. So of course it'll be change since it's a kids manga. Of course things are different here than in Japan and Signapore.

You also have to keep in mind that this is the VIZKids line. So of course it'll be change since it's a kids manga. Of course things are different here than in Japan and Signapore.

They didn't seem to have that problem the first time they released it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom