• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Chuang Yi vs. Viz

Which English version of Pokémon Special is better?

• Chuang Yi

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Viz

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I'd like to buy the Viz translation of the Diamond/Pearl chapter, because I don't think I can import it from Singapore to Mexico, not to mention I can't wait for the Spanish version to catch up. My sister wants to read it, too, so I better do something :sweat:

Huh, I didn't know they were still translating the manga in the Latin America countries.

Huh, I didn't know they were still translating the manga in the Latin America countries.
Hee hee hee... :uhoh: It's in Spanish, but they... ah... :blush: *hides face*

Thing is, they stopped so long ago that, maybe, just maybe, we're in a legal void that allows us to scanlate it. There's only one person doing that, though.

I voted for Chuang Yi's because well, that's the one I read in mangafox, but honestly I don't like either, VIZ I don't like because well I can't buy it (parents don't let me buy stuff that relate to Pokemon) and Chuang Yi had a lot of mistakes, plus I'm pissed off with VIZ for licensing the manga and getting mangafox to get rid of it that pissed me off really badly.

Speaking as a Singaporean, there was an extremely noticeable drop in quality from the RBY saga to the GSC saga. I understand that CY used Viz's translations for the first seven volumes - at any rate, I have a version where Blue/Green insults Sabrina's breasts.

They've gotten better as the years went on, of course. Frankly I don't really think I prefer one over the other. I come into manga translations with the expectations that the english is always going to be a little stilted, and so far I've yet to be proven wrong.

plus I'm pissed off with VIZ for licensing the manga and getting mangafox to get rid of it that pissed me off really badly.
You and everyone else who feels that having licensed-thus-copyrighted material scanned/scanlated for their reading pleasure is a right and not a privilege, but that's not here nor now.

I honestly fail to see how one pun title being missed it cause for concern that Viz is somehow doing a shit job. The fact that Viz apparently is going out of there way to match the manga up with the game localization, just as its Japanese counterpart had, is wonderful. The unflipped bit is even better. Flipped manga always confused me when reading; I never felt I was reading it correctly and I kept wanting to read it "backwards" to flow with the right-to-left that comes natural to manga readers.

I could care less if Gold's monk-bestowed-name doesn't make a pun, or what-have-you. The fact CY had to bend out of manga and game continuity to get it...just shows they aren't as reliable a source, if they're ready to corrupt a little scene like that just for a laugh.

All I want is vol 10, and my adventure with the manga is over with.

Since this poll was put up as a place for a now-banned member to verbally abuse anyone who disagreed with him, I'm going to close this. If anyone wants to open a REAL poll, go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom