• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Chuang Yi vs. Viz

Which English version of Pokémon Special is better?

• Chuang Yi

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Viz

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To everyone who's voted for Viz, why do you prefer mistranslated, censored, watered-down dialogue?

Because it wasn't VIZKids.

The solution to that is so obvious that I shouldn't even have to say it.

To everyone who's voted for Viz, why do you prefer mistranslated, censored, watered-down dialogue?

The solution to that is so obvious that I shouldn't even have to say it.

Are you foolish? What's mistranslated or dumbed down that has bearing on the overall plot? This isn't the pot calling the kettle Aloe, is it?

Easy: because it's not mistranslated. Ever compared the Japanese version to Chuang Yi, line-by-line?
emot-eng101.gif

Easy: because it's not mistranslated. Ever compared the Japanese version to Chuang Yi, line-by-line?
emot-eng101.gif

* "Stop groping me!" -> "You're getting me dirty!" (I don't remember those two exactly, but they're something along those lines.)
* Green vs. Sabrina
* "Slowpoké"
* Randomly empty speech bubble
* The pun with the monks'sages' names

Things in future volumes which Viz will likely change:
* Gold meets Green
* Archie's swearing ("Die! And die! And die! GO! TO! HELL!")
* Other mentions of death
* Giovanni's degenerative disease in FRLG

* "Stop groping me!" -> "You're getting me dirty!" (I don't remember those two exactly, but they're something along those lines.)
* Green vs. Sabrina
* "Slowpoké"

I said comparing Chuang Yi to the Japanese version, not the two English versions - and I was more referring to stuff that actually matters to the plot, anyway. Get back to me when you can tell me that you have.

* Green vs. Sabrina
* "Slowpoké"

Green vs Sabrina was because it's VIZKids, not just VIZ. Slowpoké is a typo not a translation error. The pun, pun, pun better than mistakes with the names and types.

Last edited:
I said comparing Chuang Yi to the Japanese version, not the two English versions - and I was more referring to stuff that actually matters to the plot, anyway. Get back to me when you can tell me that you have.

Did 4Kids changing onigiri to sandwiches affect the anime's plot at all? No, but that didn't make the change any better. The same is true here; while the censorship doesn't affect the plot per se, it still manages to ruin the manga.

Did 4Kids changing onigiri to sandwiches affect the anime's plot at all? No, but that didn't make the change any better. The same is true here; while the censorship doesn't affect the plot per se, it still manages to ruin the manga.

Then by this logic changing the names of all the manga-only characters counts as well, and CI is CERTAINLY guilty of that. So it must suck too because it "ruins the manga" genius.

Then by this logic changing the names of all the manga-only characters counts as well, and CI is CERTAINLY guilty of that. So it must suck too because it "ruins the manga" genius.

Irrelevant. Those changes were used to create a (not-so-lame) pun, while Viz's changes have had no positive effects. I would have preferred that Viz didn't rerelease the manga at all than give us this tripe.

Irrelevant. Those changes were used to create a (not-so-lame) pun, while Viz's changes have had no positive effects. I would have preferred that Viz didn't rerelease the manga at all than give us this tripe.

What positive effects did changing the names of the TR Beast Trio or the TV reporters or Wally's cousin or other characters have?

What positive effects did changing the names of the TR Beast Trio or the TV reporters or Wally's cousin or other characters have?

What positive effects did changing the Green vs. Sabrina fight have? What about when Red carried Misty out of Mt. Moon? etc.

Give me a third ("Both") and a fourth ("Neither") answer to that poll, and then I might answer.

Also, stop being a baby about everything, Noctowl-kun. You need to learn you can't impose your opinion on us or anybody else (the current Viz VS Chuang Yi issue), and that if the others prove you don't have a point then you must accept the truth and back off (the Lady Berlitz issue, remember?)

...get the hell out of the TV Tropes page for PokeSpe, too. And stop bothering my fellow tropers. It's not funny.

Also, stop being a baby about everything, Noctowl-kun. You need to learn you can't impose your opinion on us or anybody else (the current Viz VS Chuang Yi issue), and that if the others prove you don't have a point then you must accept the truth and back off (the Lady Berlitz issue, remember?)

Her name is Platina. Not Platinum. "Purachina" is a loanword from the Portuguese "platina" rather than the English "platinum". But on topic, how is a censored version better? Yeah, it's nice that Viz's version is unflipped, but that hardly makes up for the other problems.

...get the hell out of the TV Tropes page for PokeSpe, too. And stop bothering my fellow tropers. It's not funny.

Stop vandalizing it and I'll stop.

Stop vandalizing it and I'll stop.
Vandalizing? Me? Are you sure you have the right person?

Let's see what I've done:
- I did the change from Platina/Platinum to Lady Berlitz until we hear from Chuang Yi. That's what you wanted, wasn't it?
- I put the YMMV entry initially, just to give you a point.

Now what you have done:
- Spam edited the page.
- Edited all the comments of a fellow troper to "I'm stupid" or a variant thereof.

Tell me now who is the one vandalizing, Noctowl-kun!

What positive effects did changing the Green vs. Sabrina fight have? What about when Red carried Misty out of Mt. Moon? etc.

Positive effects was that soccer moms didn't complain about exposing their 7-10-year old children to "indecency." Also, I love how you're avoiding the point that CI is just as much of a suspect to the crap you say Viz does "wrong," you hypocrite.

Positive effects was that soccer moms didn't complain about exposing their 7-10-year old children to "indecency."

No one complained the first time.

Also, I love how you're avoiding the point that CI is just as much of a suspect to the crap you say Viz does "wrong," you hypocrite.

When did Chuang Yi censor anything from Pokespe?

This whole topic is just pathetic troll bait, honestly.

Shiny Noctowl, nobody says you have to buy or even like VIZ Media's second edition translation. But I think a lot of us would appreciate it if you wouldn't relentlessly bash it all the time. Some of us like it. Some of us prefer it. Some of us prefer CY's version but consider VIZ Media's acceptable. We know you hate VIZ's version, you've made that very, very, very clear. This discussion has been beaten senselessly to death, what's the point in bringing it up again? So you can keep bashing VIZ over trivial or context-sensitive edits? (seriously, one of your main arguments against their translation is the fucking Slowpoké thing?! It's not like CY has never made a mistake.)

Viz's horribly censored, watered down version, or Chuang Yi's uncensored version?
Seriously, you can't not call that troll bait (or at least trying to sway everyone with your obvious bias)

This. This way there can be a conversion, not an argument on who's translation is better.
You mean a "conversation" :)

Anyways, I wanted the Both and Neither options to point out that I don't like either of them, because I read my manga in Spanish. It's the flipped version, so I guess it's based on Chuang Yi, but who knows if they're even the same dialogue-wise...; the flipped thing had me up the walls, though, especially when I saw a map :XD2:

Also, I'd like to buy the Viz translation of the Diamond/Pearl chapter, because I don't think I can import it from Singapore to Mexico, not to mention I can't wait for the Spanish version to catch up. My sister wants to read it, too, so I better do something :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom