• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

do you hide your passion for pokemon?

DO YOU HIDE THAT YOU PLAY

• Yes no one must know!!!

Votes: 23 8.6%
  • I only tell my friends/other fans

Votes: 106 39.4%
  • I talk about it once in a while and most people know it play

Votes: 79 29.4%
  • IM A LOUD AND PROUND FAN OF POKEMON TO EVERYONE!

Votes: 61 22.7%

• Total voters
I never announce it really. I may be playing a gameboy with a Pokemon game in it, but I never tell others I'm a fan unless they come over to my house.(Plushies and posters... xD)

Mainly because there's was this kid at my school OBSESSED with it and some other games/internet stuff, that he was an unhealthy pale color and would never shut up. I never wanted to be like him so I try to keep away now and then/go outside more.

No one in my school likes pokemon so I keep it secret. Honestly, I think it is sad that people would mock you for liking something that makes you happy. I bet if you looked into what those people who mocked you really liked you could find something to make fun of them about. Sadly, Pokemon is generally looked down upon where I live so I don't ever talk about it. Really I souldn't care what others think but that mentality is pretty hard to keep up when people are picking on you 24/7.

Last edited:
Pretty much all of my friends were into Pokemon at some point in their lives, it's just that very few of them are still into it. I think most people know that I love Pokemon. I don't necessarily show it to everyone, but I don't think many people would care since everyone knows that I'm into anime.

Nope. I love it, and mention it plenty of times, while defending it from my Nintendo hating friends, stating that it's more complicated than most of their games. I love it!

I've been using Pokemon names in my conversations like "an Entei's Roar", "Oh my Arceus", "Tornelos is mad" and stuff like that and people tend to get interested with that.

Pokemon is frowned upon in middle school, but when my math teacher recently drew a duck, half the class commented that it looked like a Doduo. And when I get into conversations with people, most are familiar with at least the Hoenn pokes.

I've never avoided people knowing. I'm a semi-proud fan. I don't bring it up a lot. It's not one of my big loves, but when I'm in the mood or I'm playing, there's nothing to hide. I'll talk about it. I'll even try to persuade others to quit being so quick to judge it and give it a chance, and most concede they would probably like it if they took the time, but they also say that they aren't interested enough to. It's a great series, but it's not worth talking about a lot when you have many other interactions you could be having.

I don't hide it but I don't flaunt it either. There is nothing shameful about still liking pokemon even if you are a teen or young adult since this series is epic.

Why would I? If someone asks about it, I talk about pokemon like any other game. And even some of the "Cool" kids at my school all come over sometimes and trade/battle with eachother. One of my best friends is on the football team for our school, and he comes over every once in a while to play pearl/diamond with me.
But then there's an occasional idiot who says "Pokehmun suckth dood ur laem" and then I go on to explain that pokemon is probably the most successful video game, tv show, trading card game, toy, and other stuff franchise ever, and that it's a lot better than the call of duty crap that they play, and that whether they know it or not they probably have some sort of pokemon toy at their house. That shuts 'em up.

I keep it to myself as much as I can but then my friends found out about it when they saw me playing mystery dungeon

I don't spill it out everywhere, but if someone makes a mention, I won't pretend I'm out of league. As I said at the "how old..." thread, looks like "younger" people is more embarrased of Pokémon than "oldies" like me (I'm 24). I saw many posts like ("im 14 and my classmates blame pokémon blahblah childish blahblah"). I'm on university and there's a rather visible fanbase, it's a minority but everyone else is ok with that. At most, there are some who blame Pokémon of GenIII and above. But I'm pretty sure that 80% of HG/SS sellings are from nostalgic in their twenties or even thirties.

I don't normally hide it from people. However, I've already had one incident of my fiancee's mother 'insinuating' that I 'wasn't good enough' for her when we announced our engagement (granted, it was a heated discussion on said mother's part, and it was probably because she's not 100% comfortable with her daughter marrying another girl...still) and since then, I prefer to try to downplay some of my interests to her parents, including Pokemon. It just makes me feel uncomfortable to be judged since we're living with them for the moment. (Even my fiancee doesn't let her parents know she's into Pokemon, but that's moreso because it's a guilty pleasure for her. xD)

Out of the house and online, however, I'm not opposed to showing it a little. ♥ (Well, I do moreso online. Out of the house, I may play my DS, and I always wear my Pokewalker. Only one person has pointed it out and asked who was on it.)

Last edited:
A few of my friends do still play, so I talk about Pokémon with them fairly often, although I am never ashamed of being a Pokémon fan and will argue with whomever is pathetic enough to judge me for it.

Well a few of my friends know one even collected for a few months they know i collect cards some even play the games i know for a fact even some of the how people say "Popular" kids play using an emulator on there ipod touch's

I know playing the games is not that bad but i wouldn't want everyone to know i watch or collect the cards

Plus i have noticed there is 2 type of pokemon fans

Those who are really geeky and have no friends

And those who just play in there spare time but to go out with there friends

I have friends and a life i love football im going to Arsenal vs Chelsea 27th december but if i asked most of you would say u have friends

I have seen people on forums like this try to impress people that collect pokemon and that well they are the sad ones

I talk to it with a couple of fellow fans. But most people think it's "kiddish", which annoys me, because Pokemon is probably the most complex and addictive game series out there.

Yes unfortunately but I do have 4 friends that play it. It doesn't help that at high school it's an unwritten norm( I think the "norm" is very overrated) to talk about shooter games and nothing else and alot of the people are not that nice. However I don't give an crap now about what they think of me now and I can't wait for June next year to be done with high school and the so called norm crap.

Only a few of my friends know because they've seen me play it at my house. But I don't really mind telling people, its not a secret. I'll let people find out on their own. XD

The same as the poster above me. I usually don't tell people about it. But it is not a secret, and most of my classroom knows. I don't really care if someone thinks negatively of me by that.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom