• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

Imagine, if you had been able to trade with GSC, you could have a level 100 Charizard which you trained in Pokémon Red, sitting in HeartGold. The feeling of it all would be amazing...

I suppose there's something to be said for that, yes. But then we'd still be stuck with the same old (and much, much simpler) stats system from the early games. We're much better off now, and much of that is thanks to Gen III.

It would be possible to approximate your old Gen I/II Pokemon, using something like Pokesav. It wouldn't be the original Pokemon bit-perfect, but it would be the same in spirit, at least. You could find out the DVs for the Pokemon you want from RBYGSC, roughly translate those into modern IVs and use them to generate a PID/nature/etc, and then set the trainer name, gender and ID to match the original game it came from.

Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

i guess its a little better than jotho (due to ALOT of useless pokemon like Sunkern) and its home to Swampert, my favorite water starter!

Well, here's my 2 cents on this.

The third gen:
-Dropped the day/night mechanics
-Offered practically no post game content until Emerald, and even then, that was nothing compared to what gen 2 had to offer right off the bat
-Initially made it impossible to catch all currently existing Pokemon

Now, all three of those were available in gen 2, and were completely fixed in gen 4. And all that isn't even considering the Pokemon designs or the story (I actually thought the R/S/E story was the best of the series, but it looks like most people here disagree).

Those were important game mechanics that were dropped, realized to be a problem when they were gone, and then fixed ASAP (a la Emerald and FR/LG, and later on, gen 4).

The 3rd gen has been the biggest step backwards in the series.

Now, the way I personally view this situation is that I simply enjoyed gen3 the least of the series, rather than straight up disliking it.

I love the 3rd generation. It just has it's issues.

One thing I noted is that the writer writes "The "bashing" of Generation III is a general trend", when just by judging from this thread alone it most certainly is not, and a lot of the criticism to generation III certainly isn't bashing it. What, is commenting and criticizing something bashing all of a sudden? It just seems a bit odd to me, because judging from a general impression, most of this "bashing" doesn't even exist...

But things like this is subjective. I still think gen II was the best, that doesn't automatically mean I dislike the others or something...

I think it should be said that a lack of backwards compatibility was a hardware limitation, not a software decision. GameFreak had no way to allow you to transfer over your Pokemon because the GameBoy Advance was not made for backwards compatibility with any GameBoy/GameBoy Color game. Was this a bad move on Nintendo's part? Perhaps it was. But it's not like GameFreak just stood up and said "SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR POKEMON, MUAHAHAHAHA" because it wasn't their choice to make. I'm sure one of the reasons they overhauled the system so much was because they knew there was no way to bring back the Pokemon with primitive coding anyway, but it's not as simple as some of you are suggesting.

And Ryuukateshi- although I agree with you, I feel I should point out that you could easily preserve a Pokemon by copying it over to Stadium/Stadium 2. It wasn't the same because you had to save them in premade teams (ala Battle Revolution's "battle card" system) but it's a good way to at least have a record of what your Pokemon was, what its moveset was, its stats, etc.

In my opinion, RSE were a step in the right direction for the Pokemon series and introduced a lot of things that really improved the series, but, in my opinion were not very good games themselves. I've still played all 3 games, so I clearly didn't hate them that much, but basically I think they're great in theory and brought a lot of cool stuff into the series, but in practice were probably the worst Pokemon games ever made.

I'm not trying to troll here, I apologise if you do not share my opinion but please don't backlash at me stupid.

I haven't actually read the other posts in this thread as I don't have time at the moment (and it is MASSIVE), so I'm sorry if I repeated something that has already been brought up.

One thing I noted is that the writer writes "The "bashing" of Generation III is a general trend", when just by judging from this thread alone it most certainly is not, and a lot of the criticism to generation III certainly isn't bashing it. What, is commenting and criticizing something bashing all of a sudden? It just seems a bit odd to me, because judging from a general impression, most of this "bashing" doesn't even exist...

Because people have started to appreciate these games. The immature fans who bashed for no reasons have long since left the fandom. Most of the people who remain are sensible and appreciate the games or dislike them for actual proper reasons. There are exceptions though.

Because people have started to appreciate these games. The immature fans who bashed for no reasons have long since left the fandom. Most of the people who remain are sensible and appreciate the games or dislike them for actual proper reasons. There are exceptions though.

Well, then how is it still really a problem? The writer obviously seems to imply that it's still a general trend, when it's obviously not. Isn't that somewhat wrong?

Well, then how is it still really a problem? The writer obviously seems to imply that it's still a general trend, when it's obviously not. Isn't that somewhat wrong?

Becouse it only stopped being a general trend recently,and by recently I mean last trecth of Gen IV,and the pre-Gen V phase.

And thats talking about the situation in this community.In the outside world,bashing Gen III is a common trend.

Last edited:

I skipped that gen as it was originally when I got out of pokemon. Gen 4 pulled me back in so I back tracked and beat saphire and Emerald. Yes back tracking sucked. Yes constant surfing sucked. But really as mentioned by others it was just the one gen I didnt have the will to finish. I had to force myself to as I had so little interest. It was just a drag. But metagross. Freakin Metagross. Makes gen 3 worthwhile.

Becouse it only stopped being a general trend recently,and by recently I mean last trecth of Gen IV,and the pre-Gen V phase.

I don't buy that so many people suddenly realize that gen III is better than they expected. Can't be that easy

And thats talking about the situation in this community.In the outside world,bashing Gen III is a common trend.

What, in the pokémon community as a general? Well, I'm not really a member on the other big sites, but judging from my other experiences from smaller forums, I can't really say this is true either. The writer wants obviously to imply that there's still a trend of bashing generation III in the online pokémon community, I must say I disagree with that, as I haven't seen this in a very large scale (you could have individuals doing it perhaps, but not as a general attitude), and it hardly matters what people think outside the community as well.

I do see why it gets so much critisism from the fans, and somehow it's justified, but there's one saying that goes "renew or die". The franchise took risks with Gens II and III, and they failed and learned from their mistakes. Both Generations. Gen II made mistakes, Gen III made mistakes. Those two were a lot riskier than Gen IV was. Gen II and III innovated, where IV instead just followed the safe path. That's the only reason Gen IV isn't as talked about as the previous ones: because it has little to be talked about.

On the other side, with all the features that GS and RS (and to a lesser extent, Crystal, FRLG and Emerald) introduced, it's fairly obvious that those games would be the most talked about. The difference is that Generation II brought a lot of new features (custom balls, genders, breeding, Battle Tower, internal clock, happiness) while keeping what made Gen I so lovable (Kanto, Team Rocket, Red and Oak), securing that there was a balance beteween the new and the old, making the evolution seem natural. On the other side, Gen III threw away many features from the previous gens (backwards compatibility, day and night cycle, 184 Pokémon) while focusing on the new things. Sure, it introduced a lot of staples, but they also ditched a lot of them, losing the old/new balance, thus being a longer leap which pissed off so many fans, that's why they felt the franchise has "lost its essence" or whatever.

So basically, the critisism is justified, but not downright right. Gen III had AS MUCH pros and cons as Gen II had, and IMO, those two are the highest moments in the Pokémon franchise evolution.

Personally, must of my real life friends see the first two generations with love and nostalgia, but bash the newer ones. The only people I know that don't bash Gen III are the younger ones who didn't play RBY nor GSC.

In my outside world Ruby and Sapphire are about the last acceptable games. Everyone I know thinks they really overdid in gen IV (and when they'll find out about gen V we'll probably hear it again).

I don't buy that so many people suddenly realize that gen III is better than they expected. Can't be that easy

What, in the pokémon community as a general? Well, I'm not really a member on the other big sites, but judging from my other experiences from smaller forums, I can't really say this is true either. The writer wants obviously to imply that there's still a trend of bashing generation III in the online pokémon community, I must say I disagree with that, as I haven't seen this in a very large scale (you could have individuals doing it perhaps, but not as a general attitude), and it hardly matters what people think outside the community as well.

Sorry,I didnt express myself crearly ^^U I meant that it isnt a trend anymore not becouse people realized that Gen III is not so bad,but becouse the people that bashed it had completly left the fandom by this point.

You know,the kind of fans that went"WHAT Gen III was horrible enought!Thats it!This is my last gen !"with gen IV .

So what we have left it either A)people that apreccieate all the games and dont care and B)people that were introduced Post-Gen III.

"This community" as in the bullbagarden/bullbapedia community.

In my outside world Ruby and Sapphire are about the last acceptable games. Everyone I know thinks they really overdid in gen IV (and when they'll find out about gen V we'll probably hear it again).

In mine,Gen III was the most horrible one and Gen IV was somehow decent,maybe even good.

....I cant belive I made such a stupid generalization...You are right,this is why I prefer to comment only in the sales,and only using sales as backups...its less subjetive xD.

Sorry,I didnt express myself crearly ^^U I meant that it isnt a trend anymore not becouse people realized that Gen III is not so bad,but becouse the people that bashed it had completly left the fandom by this point.

You know,the kind of fans that went"WHAT Gen III was horrible enought!Thats it!This is my last gen !"with gen IV .

So what we have left it either A)people that apreccieate all the games and dont care and B)people that were introduced Post-Gen III.

"This community" as in the bullbagarden/bullbapedia community.

This. My old friends left Pokémon during Gen III. My current Pokéfriends got started with Gen III. The release of Ruby and Sapphire was indeed a dividing point in the history of the franchise. That's why Gen III is either deeply loved ("that was my fitrs game") or hated ("that's when they jumped the sharked").

Well then, maybe we should say good riddance to those that only complained? But as of now, I can't say that bashing generation III is a very general trend, and thus I think it's wrong to try to make it that way as well. Besides, if this happened here, don't you think it happened in other communities? It would strike me as a bit odd that this only happened on this community and not in any other...

Perhaps with Fr/Lg and HG/SS, it brought back some of the "oldies" because they were remakes of the originals.

I was just replaying Sapphire before my battery died, RS were the first games to have a thunderstorm on some routes, also had thunder sounds too which was good, apart from Emerald, there has been no other games that done that, would have been nice if the thunder did something in battle, but guess not. Also replaying it, can't believe how fast battles, text speed, running and flying to places was, it really slowed in Gen IV.

And Ryuukateshi- although I agree with you, I feel I should point out that you could easily preserve a Pokemon by copying it over to Stadium/Stadium 2. It wasn't the same because you had to save them in premade teams (ala Battle Revolution's "battle card" system) but it's a good way to at least have a record of what your Pokemon was, what its moveset was, its stats, etc.
Hell, you can move the entire party to the N64 box and keep them there foreverrrr. And then battle your friends in Stadium 2. Seriously.

I'm willing to not play with them in the actual game but keep them indefinitely thanx

Playing through Sapphine, one thing came up that I did find very tedious, getting pokemon to lv100 takes forever. I have 290+ hours on my Sapphire and highest level pokemon I have is my lv86 sceptile, was it that tedious to get a lv100 pokemon in GSC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom