• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

generation 3 hoeenn region was a freaking jioke it was 2 easy and you know how may waws then was just dfan serivce to try to get people back the gen 4 sinnohj is what brough a huge amount back it was a challenge like gen 2 the johto region heck i almost beat hoenn in 1 day gen 4 was so amazing it made the hoenn era a big joke

Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

Playing through Sapphine, one thing came up that I did find very tedious, getting pokemon to lv100 takes forever. I have 290+ hours on my Sapphire and highest level pokemon I have is my lv86 sceptile, was it that tedious to get a lv100 pokemon in GSC?
Considering phone rematches are obnoxious, that the highest leveled wild Pokémon is Level 52, the highest leveled Trainer Pokémon bar Red are Level 50, and that you only have 1 Trainer House battle per day in GSC VS much easier to trigger rematches, highest leveled wild Pokémon at Level 60 (Ruby/Sapphire), highest leveled Trainer Pokémon (Minus Steven who's only battled once and Gym Leader Rematches which are very rare and Double Battles, and neither exists in Ruby/Sapphire) is Level 58, and 1+ Secret Base battles per day in RSE... yeah. It's much more tedious to level up to 100 in GSC.

generation 3 hoeenn region was a freaking jioke it was 2 easy and you know how may waws then was just dfan serivce to try to get people back the gen 4 sinnohj is what brough a huge amount back it was a challenge like gen 2 the johto region heck i almost beat hoenn in 1 day gen 4 was so amazing it made the hoenn era a big joke

I can barely understand what you're saying. You can beat any of the games in a single day if you play for hours continuously with little breaks.

Also, you talk about fanservice being bad when your username is based on Dawn, a character with a tiny skirt, and the most blatant example of using a 10 year old as sex appeal?

Only in saphire, in emerald and ruby, it has a pretty important role, Team Magma try to take rocket fuel to make mt. Chimney erupt, they left that out in sapphire,, indicating version exclusive storylines not found in any other games, and thats what makes Hoenn unique and fun to play.
No, Ruby and Sapphire had almost identical storylines, the only difference was some dialog, how that were good and bad, Grudon contra Kyogre and one of the teams spamed Numels while the other spamed Caravanas, well not as much as they spamed Poopchyena and Zubat. And the Space Center did just as much in Ruby as it did in Sapphire, which is nada.

Its good that people weren't able to bring their old pokemon to RSE. Firstly, they would require no effort to complete game. Take into account that Pokemon games aren't too hard anyway. Secondly, people would then have ignored the newly inroduced Pokemon.
Yes the same way as it would ruin Gen4 if you could bring over your Gen3 Pokemon over. It has nothing to do whit what GF wants, they obviously wants backwards compatibly , they even made remakes so that you can have all the games compatible, they are not physical the same game, but they are as close as GF can get while still sell some copies. If it weren't for the GBA we would certainly have backwards compatibly then to.

I can barely understand what you're saying. You can beat any of the games in a single day if you play for hours continuously with little breaks.
Nope, you need about 2 days:rolleyes:
Also, you talk about fanservice being bad when your username is based on Dawn, a character with a tiny skirt, and the most blatant example of using a 10 year old as sex appeal?
Since fan service was bad in Gen3, but they fixed it in Gen4:loopy:

This is just someone who is using Bulbanews to express their feelings...like the HGSS article, which, gladly, was criticized highly for that matter. But still, was the first best Gen. (heck with it, it may be better than Gen. IV...lol)

And some people claimed it was too hard.

The twins in emerald still make me cry like a little baby with Torchic as the starter. Anyway...
Hoenn. Ah the best region around. So diverse, so exotic, so special. Only problem with it is the way the game looks, and the system it was on didn't do it good. Otherwise the Pokemon are excellent(Flygon is my god, SPINDA FUCKING SQUUEEE)

I love the third generation.
IMO the Pokémon of this generation are as good as the other generation ones, and along with all that you said, the berry system become much better.
The only thing I dislike about it is the lack of the day/night effect despite the time existence.

Playing through Sapphine, one thing came up that I did find very tedious, getting pokemon to lv100 takes forever. I have 290+ hours on my Sapphire and highest level pokemon I have is my lv86 sceptile, was it that tedious to get a lv100 pokemon in GSC?

lol. Try having 16 secret base friends (hmm, maybe I had even more?), with all having at leat 1 level 100 pokémon, and some even more than that. After grinding through all those every day it only took me 3-4 days to get someone level 100. For some extra haxz you could just record mix again with someone and then you could re-battle them again the same day.

lol. Try having 16 secret base friends (hmm, maybe I had even more?), with all having at leat 1 level 100 pokémon, and some even more than that. After grinding through all those every day it only took me 3-4 days to get someone level 100. For some extra haxz you could just record mix again with someone and then you could re-battle them again the same day.

And not everyone has access to that. As was mentioned, people who might have had quite a few friends when playing RBGY or GSC lost many of those people because most of them didn't like RSE as much, and so not only would there be less people to mix records with, there would also be less people to battle against with pokémon that high. Not everyone liked RSE/Gen3, and those that didn't got bored of it and stopped playing.

Not to mention the fact that there are people who just have never had that many people to mix records or do ANYthing with pokémon-wise.

Yeah, the only person I could mix records whit was... myself:/

I only had ONE level 100 Pokemon on my Emerald, and that was my starter. And I had to beat the Elite 4 who STAYED THE SAME LEVEL about a billion times just for that one.

Yeah leveling was really a bitch in RSE, I had no friends to do the Secret Base stuff, I like other people were SOOL.

I only had ONE level 100 Pokemon on my Emerald, and that was my starter. And I had to beat the Elite 4 who STAYED THE SAME LEVEL about a billion times just for that one.

On ruby, I got my Blaziken and Rayquaza to level 100, I even think after that my Groudon is level 86 or something.

And while yes, it may have taken me forever, I'm pretty sure it didn't take 100+ hours to do it.

Then again I may have helped with the secret bases, since I remember having 3 people, (including my emerald one), so that may have contributed, but even then my Blaziken was already at a high level (80-90) and I could only battle each trainer once a day.

Edit: Checking my hall of fame on my Ruby, I had a level 100 Blaziken by the 20th time I battled the elite four). Oh and my Groudon was 78 not 86. The next highest (after Groudon) is my Gardevoir at lvl 62. I have to laugh out loud because guess what level my Blaziken was when I first entered the hall of fame? A huge whopping Level 64. It seems I devoted most of my time leveling up Blaziken since my next highest was my level 34 Pelipper at the time (since the time I got/used Groudon and obtained Rayquaza).

Last edited:

while i think most of the things that are criticized are exxagerated a bit, i gotta admit some of the designs of the pokemon kinda gave you the feel like they stopped trying ala nosepass, spinda, solrock, lunatone etc.

I completely forgot that there were secret bases and the whole mixing records in RSE until it was mentioned in the thread.

It was an interesting idea, but claiming that it sucked because you didn't know anyone you could mix records with isn't exactly the game's fault. It's just an extra tidbit that's unlocked.

At least it you aren't locked out of obtaining a Pokémon... The process to get Spiritomb comes to mind. That's ridiculous and downright impossible for people who don't know anyone to connect with.

As for complaining about level grinding... It's difficult to do it, but it's certainly possible with enough patience (I seem to have alot of it for Pokémon games).

Heck, in Emerald you could easily abuse the glitch that allows you to clone Pokémon and items (Not a feature, but it certainly saves quite a bit of effort. Not just for emerald, but for all the compatable games.)

This is just someone who is using Bulbanews to express their feelings...like the HGSS article, which, gladly, was criticized highly for that matter. But still, was the first best Gen. (heck with it, it may be better than Gen. IV...lol)
I totally agree with you, I'm dead sick of all these editorials!

I completely forgot that there were secret bases and the whole mixing records in RSE until it was mentioned in the thread.

It was an interesting idea, but claiming that it sucked because you didn't know anyone you could mix records with isn't exactly the game's fault. It's just an extra tidbit that's unlocked.

At least it you aren't locked out of obtaining a Pokémon... The process to get Spiritomb comes to mind. That's ridiculous and downright impossible for people who don't know anyone to connect with.
I completely agree with you. I had one or two friends to mix records with, but that didn't really matter because I thought it was fun enough to decorate the bases anyways XD
I was really disappointed with the way secret bases turned out in fourth gen. :/ I liked being able to visit my friend's bases anytime and I just hate the underground a lot, actually.
And yeah the Spiritomb thing is bull :/ I get it in theory but not everybody has a friend who plays Pokemon!

The Spiritomb thing is a bit annoying, yeah. However it is possible to do it yourself if you've got two different Sinnoh games. I was able to catch a Spiritomb on both my Diamond and Platinum games by using them together. One of the games just has to leave the underground between talking to eachother.

while i think most of the things that are criticized are exxagerated a bit, i gotta admit some of the designs of the pokemon kinda gave you the feel like they stopped trying ala nosepass, spinda, solrock, lunatone etc.

Nosepass is based on the Head statues on that Island(Forgot its name). And atleast its better looking than Probopass.

Nosepass is based on the Head statues on that Island(Forgot its name). And atleast its better looking than Probopass.

It's the Easter Island. But I think that concept=/=Pokémon. There are lots of good concepts with bad designs (like Probopass for some people) and coole designs based on unoriginal concept (Charizard: european dragon with a flame on its tail).

^Easter Island. Thats it.

Besides, every generation has its share of badly designed Pokemon. Which are good and which are bad are purely the persons opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom