• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

And not everyone has access to that. As was mentioned, people who might have had quite a few friends when playing RBGY or GSC lost many of those people because most of them didn't like RSE as much, and so not only would there be less people to mix records with, there would also be less people to battle against with pokémon that high. Not everyone liked RSE/Gen3, and those that didn't got bored of it and stopped playing.

Not to mention the fact that there are people who just have never had that many people to mix records or do ANYthing with pokémon-wise.

I have quite a good number of friends that I met in the times when Ruby and Sapphire were released, many of them playing the games since the beginnings of Pokémon (they are now 20-26 years-old). Their first reaction when they found out that the games were incompatible with RBYGSC wasn't that of rage or anger but understanding, giving that they found out the new concept of Double Battles and natures (the first hints of our group embracing the casual-competitive aspect that Generation III offered) to be refreshing, innovative and fun, outshining anything that Game Freak could have featured before. As many of us were in our fist year of college/university, we were able to meet many people who were into the franchise and the competitive scene, so my Sapphire still holds the record of the superb number of 30 Secret Bases, many of them with teams ready to give large amounts of Exp. Points with such easiness (who could forget the Lv. 100 Memento teams?). So at least in my case I enjoyed of a strong local fanbase in the Generation III era, composed of guys and girls that despite having played RBY and GSC, weren't nostalgia-biased or met with unfounded hate what Game Freak brought to the GBA era.

Having said that, being a supporter, lover and in a way worshipper of the Generation III games, I could bash and keep thrashing the silly opinions of people who have both Hoenn and RSE in the lowest regard of Pokémon, but as my opinion will stand regardless of what I read, keep listening or see, I don't find it that relevant or necesary. Moreover, I have stated why I like so much Hoenn, the 135 Pokémon that RS brought to the franchise, the music, the changes in the Pokémon data structure, Double Battles, the story, the characters, the new moves and battle features introduced, etc. in many, many other threads before, thus it would be redundant, boring and pointless to do it again, let alone a pain and a motive to fuel the hatred in the hearts of people who despise the games.

One last thing: For me, Generation III was and perhaps will be the best generation of Pokémon.

Last edited:
Re: Generation III: Criticized too often?: Fan's response in defense of Generation II

I have quite a good number of friends that I met in the times when Ruby and Sapphire were released, many of them playing the games since the beginnings of the Pokémon-concept (they are now 20-26 years-old).

[I cut the above for space or whatever]

note: all uses of "you" are not meant to mean you, RudolphMilotic.

And not everyone acted that way towards Gen3. *sighs* All I was saying is that not everyone had access to people to train against and that not everyone had friends who continued to play during RSE (either because they didn't like it or because they didn't care to get it) or even had friends who played pokémon in the first place. Not everyone is blessed with a strong offline community of friends who play pokémon. I mean, even when my school had enough pokémon card trading and game playing going around in elementary school to get them to specifically ban pokémon cards, most of them weren't really my friends, so the only person I would ever play against was my sister (and don't get me started on her pokémon playing habits xD).

And I really hate how nostalgia always gets brought up every damned time people talk about ANY generation. Can't we just like Gen1/2 for what they are, the pokémon, and the barely existent story outside of "go catch pokémon and collect badges"? These are the reasons you people like Gen3/4, am I not correct? (well, change "barely existent story" to "evil team driven plot story thing") Why does it always have to be about nostalgia? How come is someone doesn't like Gen3 and/or 4 that they must just be wearing the nostalgia goggles? Why can't people who like Gen3/4 accept that not everyone does and that it doesn't (always) have to do with nostalgia (I will admit in some people's cases it may). We're allowed to dislike whatever pokémon, region, characters, story, etc. that we please, it doesn't (again, always) have to do with nostalgia. It's really annoying to be told by the people who love Hoenn to death that "it was the best region ever" whenever I say I don't like it. I didn't ask for your opinion on Hoenn, I merely stated mine. This goes back to my dislike of how people will shove their opinion down others throats. YOU like Hoenn and I do not, there is no reason for people to reiterate how much they love Hoenn, implying, I might add, that because they do that I have to too.

Not everyone likes Hoenn, not everyone like Sinnoh, not everyone likes Johto, not everyone likes Kanto. Do I need to keep going, or do you guys get the point? It doesn't (always) have to do with nostalgia or "forgetting the roots of the series", in many cases it has to do with the game itself and what the player enjoyed or didn't enjoy. Why do you people insist on taking a reason a small portion of people believe in and then generalizing it to everyone who likes said generation? Didn't anyone teach you stereotyping is bad?

I'm so horribly sick of the nostalgia goggles/forgetting the game's roots BS. I like Johto because it is what it is. I don't like Hoenn because it is what it is. It has nothing what-so-ever to do with nostalgia.

So, in short: People who like Gen3/4 need to accept not everyone who dislikes it is "blinded by nostalgia" and people who like Gen1/2 need to accept that not everyone who dislikes it is "forgetting the game's roots". People have different opinions, a piece of common sense which seems to alluded some people these days. Now siddown and shut up because every generation sucks at something. >T (<- my probably failed attempt at humor/sounding like an old lady/teacher or something)

I've never really had any friends that played Pokemon, whether in the RBY, GSC, or RSE eras. :bawling:

The only record mixing I ever got to do was between my Ruby and Emerald carts, in order to transfer an Eon Ticket to Emerald.

I have to say, that Gen 3 gets lumped up with just the Hoenn games far too much. I LOVED FiredRed and it was my first gen 3 game after finishing Gold. When i got Emerald, i enjoyed it for its uniqueness of ideas/plot/mechanics but i have to say pokmeon-challenge wise, it was lacking. By the time i got to the Elite Four i was massively under-leveled and i just felt a bit like i got to the end too quickly.

Tho on the opposite spectrum, Hoenn held quite a few of my favorite pokemon, and i did enjoy the thought of diving (even tho i wouldn't have found anything w/o a video guide!) and the falling ash:) [i feel sorry for that man and his daughter that live up there, they must have some real bad cases of black lung! D:] all in all, its quite a neutral game in my opinion. It has cons, but ppl forget about the Pros.

I'm so horribly sick of the nostalgia goggles/forgetting the game's roots BS. I like Johto because it is what it is. I don't like Hoenn because it is what it is. It has nothing what-so-ever to do with nostalgia.

That's why I mentioned in my last post unfounded hate aside from nostalgia. Not everyone dislikes Hoenn and RSE because of reminiscent memories, but at the same time I find silly and moot their opinions, like many others find silly my own opinions of why I hate Johto and GSC (HGSS not so much anymore).

TM2-Megatron said:
The only record mixing I ever got to do was between my Ruby and Emerald carts, in order to transfer an Eon Ticket to Emerald.

To say something, we got a bunch of Eon Tickets from the EGS 2003 (Electronic Game Show, a Mexican -and later also Brazilian- gaming convention carried out every year since 2002) and later shared some of them with many players across our faculty (we're or were all pursuing an Engineering degree), our local group and the nearby places. Today I miss those experiences, mostly because some friends and key members have since graduated, are busy working or have moved on to other things (though we still keep close communication).

I can sum this up in 1 word: harsh. I don't get why Gen III is the most criticized of the 4 (or 5) generations, especially since it's the very first Gen I played in. Could it be because of the fact that it was incompatible with Gens I-II? Or the storyline?

I have to say, that Gen 3 gets lumped up with just the Hoenn games far too much.

That's because Hoenn was the actual region of that generation. FRLG were just, well, remakes of games from Gen I.

Regardless of whether other 'fans' of Gen III may have recently come 'out of the woodwork' or not since the fans' favourite Gen II has been remade, I have always stood by R/S/E ever since it was announced. I remember first seeing Ruby and Sapphire being announced in Nintendo Official Magazine (UK) in Summer 2002 under their working titles - Pokemon Advance, and believe me, once I first set eyes upon the screenshots of the player with his footprints on the beach and reflection in the water from on top of a bridge, I knew that they would be amazing games. Sure, I might have been disappointed by the lack of backwards compatibility with previous games, but I can't remember complaining once I did get into the games.

My first game in the Generation was Ruby, which I got a day after its release in England along with a free mini radio from Woolworths. Having only seen initial screenshots of R/S and only a handful of the new Pokemon, I actually had no idea what I was to expect. Once I got home I booted up the game and was literally blown away by the musical and graphical improvement since my last game, Crystal. It was in stark contrast to HG/SS, which I said "to hell with it" and overloaded myself with listening to all the remade music and graphical enhancements as soon as it was released in Japan (and I even religiously followed the pre-release coverage of it). So here I was in the unknown wilderness that was Hoenn. I was somewhat intrigued by all the new Pokemon I came across, while some I found outright amusing such as Baltoy and Claydol. Starting out with Mudkip I was really excited when it started to evolve because I only knew about the first stage starters and obviously Blaziken. When it evolved into Marshtomp and then Swampert I was really surprised at what they looked like. It was a far cry from Gen 1 and 2, where I had seen most of the Pokemon already in the anime before I went and played the games.

As for Hoenn itself, I really loved the tropical and varying climate of the region as it was something that couldn't really be applied to Kanto or Johto. The weather made the game seem a tad more realistic and the addition of a massive volcano and a route with ash falling upon it felt really delightful when exploring. The mechanics of the game left very little impression on me as I took little heed to natures, and so I just took every challenge as it came. The villain story sort of passed me by too at the time, but in hindsight it WAS probably the weakest and most off the wall of them all, but I thought that the enhancements in Emerald did it the world of good. One of my highlights from playing Ruby with little knowledge was traipsing across the Regis for the first time. The Sealed Chamber music gave them a very mysterious vibe, and they were such an unknown quantity at the time to me too.

Unfortunately, Ruby didn't have the lasting power for me that Red, Blue, Silver and Crystal had had, since I was very eager and hyped for FireRed. Once I finally got my hands on it, Ruby was left on the backburner a lot. Then came Emerald. I actually got an imported version of it from America because I was so genuinely excited about it due to the changes I had seen to it since R/S on Serebii. Once again, I was gripped by the main game and loved the improved graphics, animations, slicker text style and changed Gym rosters. However, this time I enjoyed and took notice of the villains a great deal more, and felt the need to play a lot more post-Elite 4 due to the additional Safari Zone area and Battle Frontier.

I also count Colosseum and XD in my Gen III memories. They got a lot of stick from the fandom for the unique gameplay and short story mode, but I really enjoyed them and see XD as probably my favourite Pokemon game to date (maybe SoulSilver once I complete it). The anime also gives me fuzzy nostalgia of this generation, as I liked its revamped style that many disagreed with.

So TL;DR, Gen III is right up there as one of my favourites, and that has never been in doubt.

Gen 3 is the best.
It's WAYYY better than Gen 4. Generation 4 sucked balls. Even with new pokemon, it sucked.

Gen 3 intriduced new pokemon and wasn't OVERFLOWING with legendaries to ruin the game, unlike Gen 4.

Emerald > Diamond+Pearl+Platinum

Generation III is the best in my opinion. Better story line, more playing time, pretty decent graphics and new introductions, as well as having the coolest new Pokemon introduced.

Well to me, Gen 3 was the PKMN game that got me back into PKMN (Actually it was my intrigue to Gen 4 that got me to buy Emerald XD)

But yes I remember playing Sapphire in 2003 and really having much fun. But I dropped PKMN for the '05-'06 years due to the shock of having Sapphire deleted. XP

Anyways, Pokemon Special RS and FRLG Saga more than makes up for any "flaws" in Gen 3. :3

How can you have a "better storyline" when the villains think that "Let's flood the whole world/dry the whole world, living species will be better off!"? It makes NO FUCKING SENSE!

How can you have a "better storyline" when the villains think that "Let's flood the whole world/dry the whole world, living species will be better off!"? It makes NO FUCKING SENSE!

Since when do insane cults make sense? TR was a criminal organization so it made sense, Magma/Aqua and Galactic on the other hand are more like cults.

Team Galactic is an Inasne Cult well done - and it makes sense.

Cyrus wants to recreate the world (and practically make himself God) and is willing to do what it takes to get there. Monstrous, yes, but the general idea make sense, and his actions in the game support that idea.

Most of his followers are unaware of his plan, and are in...well, mostly because of a personality cult and Cyrus' leadership. Which is how cults TEND to work, in the real world. It's always been that way, will always be. This, too, make sense.

Aqua/Magma, on the other hand, want to...expand the land/water? So that...life has more room/water? Did these guys never pick up a book about "Droughts" and "Floods"? And all of them believe that bullcrap?

Basically, the Aqua/Magma plotline involves the entire teams being handed Idiot Balls and running away with it.

That's an insane cult done wrong

Gen 3 is the best.
It's WAYYY better than Gen 4. Generation 4 sucked balls. Even with new pokemon, it sucked.

Gen 3 intriduced new pokemon and wasn't OVERFLOWING with legendaries to ruin the game, unlike Gen 4.

Emerald > Diamond+Pearl+Platinum

GenIV didn't suck. And whether or not it is better than any other generations is a matter of opinion. Personally, my favorite was Platinum. It had a cool (literally) region, awesome characters, pretty good Pokemon, and one of the best plots in the whole franchise.

Still, GenIII doesn't deserve this hate. It introduced a lot of new features that improved gaming. Especially features such as the EVs and other things. They had the most interesting Pokemon, IMO, and actually had a steady plot.

Sure, the whole Magma/Aqua thing was a little odd and made little sense but still. GenIII was a great region and doesn't deserve the hate.

I have to say, lame motivations aside, I did like how they handled the evil teams in RSE...each version having one team depicted as the villain while the other tries to convince you they were right, and then Emerald comes along and ups the ante by having both of them quite antagonistic was pretty neat. We really need more version differences like that now that online trading has basically made "Version Exclusive" no big deal.

Honestly, I never cared at all about evil teams in the games. I sorta understand why there is worship of them, but I never cared about them myself.

The only reason I didn't like gen III was your rival wasn't a Jackass, but honestly you can look at any pokemon game and find something you don't like.

Not every Rival has to be a jerk.IN this case, there are 2 half-rivals each having their own part to play but it doesn't work if you look at them seperately. One of the rivals is a person who helped you become a trainer and the other is a person whom you helped to become a trainer. On their own, they are far from great rivals but together, as a part of the story, they turn out to be pretty good. Brendan/May is a good friend who you surpass in skills and Wally is a weak and sick kid who gets over his sickness and leaves on his own journey after the player inspires him. So I don't get why people say 'Brendan/May was a terrible rival' or 'Wally sucked.' Look at them as a pair of rivals.

i had always thought that Aqua/ Magma was trying to HELP their Deities (Kyogre/Groudon Respectively) to defeat the other. Aqua aims for more Oceans, this would put Groudon at a Huge Disadvantage and make Kyogre the Stronger one. Magma Seeks to make more land so that Kyogre cant move and will be a "Beached Whale" making Groudon the Strongest.

then again... to sum it up it would basicly be this :)argue:) for all Eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom