• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you get your team?

Re: How do you get youre team?

I use a predetermined team I use for all games. It involves 3 water types(Empoleon, Swampert, Lanturn) a Flygon Staraptor and Gallade.

I usually have a rough idea of what my team will be. I pick the Fire starter and usually catch all the Pokémon that you would catch at the start like Starly or Bidoof.

Later on I would put more variety in my team. And I would also go and add a dragon to my team.

I catch a full party of six as early as possible, then swap the Pokémon once I can get better ones (usually scrapping the bug types very early).

I plan it beforehand, and at the moment I even plan replacements. Instead of only having a few Pokémon going up to the fifth Gym Leader, I keep two others to have a full team. Then, later on I'll switch them for something better once their purpose has been filled.

200th post, woo.

Last edited:

I tend to plan what types of Pokemon I should catch, when I restart a game, taking natures also into account.

my team is always pre-determined and is usually the same no matter what. Every time there's a new game coming out, I look at what pokemon are available, pick my six, and go with them. Of course, my team is usually Houndoom, Espeon, Flygon, Weavile, and two others. In SS, they will be Nidoking and Scizor. In Pearl, They're Luxray and Floatzel.

i will tell you a story of how i got my team at the begging of the game i just train mystaeter and a mochop and when i go to gym to gym i catch a good pokemon like for the snowpoint city i caught a sneasel and i nleave a slot open for a legend

I usually play casually the first time around, and then bother with actual team building and stuff once I've beaten the E4 and have access to the post-game stuff and all.

I usually don't have more than one of any type, then just pick one of the first I see, and whatever looks like it would be cool/useful after that.

This is kind of my 'dream team' composed of my favorite partners through out the games:

Chance my Pikachu I got from professor oak.
Mint my Nidoqueen I technically got from my sister who played part of my game before I came home from school, haha.
Jack my Gengar I got in the Pokemon Tower.
Aido my Aerodactly whom I resurrected.
Ali my Feraligatr who actually had three different names, Toto, then Crocky, then Ali as she evolved who was my starter on Gold.
And most recently was THE MAN or TM the Garchomp I received as a prize for an art contest...He's so lovable.

Of course as any of you have done, (I'm sure) You've come up with even more thought-out, deeper origin ideas...maybe I'll make a comic and share mine with you all some day!

I just base it off of what's good against the Elite Four. In Diamond, I was wanting a grass, water, electric, fire, and whatever else. My original plan was Empoleon, Rapidash, Luxray, Gyarados, and Abomasnow. But once I started playing it changed, and I went into the hall of fame with a level 43 Staraptor, 46 Gyarados, 48 Dialga, 55 Torterra, 55 Raichu, and 46 Rapidash.

I usually think about it before I get very far but end up changing it to whatever I like as I go along. All part of the fun in my book.

IDGAF about Natures, so I get whatever the Hell I catch.

I just catch whatever for ingame purposes. The only time I'll go into the deep of breeding and IVs is for battling with real people.

I don't even know what the natures do...but I usually look around and find a pokemon of the types I was looking for and/or something cool/different...but I try not to have a team that every other person might have! I try not to use legendary's in my team unless I ABSOLUTELY want one, otherwise, I keep them in my PC. I find that having a legendary in my team is too "expected"!

I don't even know what the natures do...but I usually look around and find a pokemon of the types I was looking for and/or something cool/different...but I try not to have a team that every other person might have! I try not to use legendary's in my team unless I ABSOLUTELY want one, otherwise, I keep them in my PC. I find that having a legendary in my team is too "expected"!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they strengthen certain stats while weakening others. I don't care about 'em since I don't battle competitively so I might be wrong.

When I get my first game in a new region, I just go with whatever. That's how I wound up with a Beedrill, Lapras, Venusaur, Gengar, Golem, and Mew (that took me freaking forever to get) in my LG. Unsurprisingly, it's a challenging team to use, but it gets the job done.

After that, I start planning somewhat. For instance, in the two times I've played through my Emerald, once with Mudkip as my starter and the other with Treecko, I used a Aggron, Manectric, and Gardevoir both times, largely because they gave me extremely good results. I've also learned to add an Electric-type, something I didn't do with my original LG team (like I said, that was my first-ever team).

I do some planning, but not much. Usually I look out for what's available that can help me avoid Fire-type attacks, although since my Diamond came with a nice fat leveled-up Fire-type starter and two Gym badges I traded over stored Pokes from my Pearl with an eye towards adapting for type rather than having to fight it. Fire-types don't normally figure prominently in my first teams.

Now I do have some post-E4 constructed teams on my LG that do have Fire-types in, but, well, they're post-E4 constructed teams. I built them like three years ago and haven't actually started playing with them since. I've also stored all the teams I used to beat the games for my various Gen III playthroughs on LG, which still has most of my best Pokes on it, so Arceus forbid something happening to it...

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom