• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you get your team?

Re: How do you get youre team?

I normally just catch 5 random Pokemon, train my starter and leave the other Pokemon to rot.

Yes, I pwn. :3

Currently, I have three HM Slaves(one is a Pickuper), a Pokémon that I'm training for breeding, a hatcher, and another Pokémon I'm training for breeding. Two of my HM slaves and my hatcher are caught at high level, while another one was trained by abusing Elite Four's exps, just like my other two.

I usually use pokemon I like, but have a variety of type. For HM slaves I usually have one or use the pokemon in my team by giving them an HM, for example my Piplup in Diamond has surf, and Murkrow has fly. I only care about the pokemon's nature, IV's, etc for Comp.Battling.

For my initial in-game teams I tend to just choose Pokemon that I like the designs of or are curious about. If I'm replaying a game, I try to use Pokemon that I haven't before.

I try to pick a different team on my second playthrough.

When I first played through Pearl, I started with Turtwig, caught a Starly and a Shinx, then caught a Shellos and a Drifloon because it was a friday, and finally caught a Skorupi in the Safari Zone. So my team at the Pokémon League was Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Drifblim, Gastrodon and Drapion.

When I then bought and played through Diamond, I started with Piplup, caught a Budew and a Kricketot, then caught a Murkrow in Eterna Forest, then caught a Chingling and finally caught a Geodude. So I faced the League with Empoleon, Roserade, Kricketune, Honchkrow, Chimecho and Golem.

On Platinum, I started with Turtwig, caught a Starly, then caught a Buizel, then caught Rotom, then caught a Gible, and finally caught a Rhyhorn. So my League team was Torterra, Staraptor, Floatzel, Rotom, Garchomp and Rhyperior.

On my first playthrough of XD, I evolved Eevee into Vaporeon, and used the shadow Teddiursa, Lunatone, Houndour, Snorunt and caught a regular Aron. So my final team was Vaporeon, Ursaring, Lunatone, Houndoom, Glalie and Aggron.

On my second XD playthrough (which is not yet finished) I evolved Eevee into Jolteon, and used Teddiursa, Ledyba, Poochyena, Makuhita and caught a regular Gligar. My current team is Jolteon, Teddiursa, Ledian, Mightyena, Hariyama and Gligar but I'm probably going to get rid of Ledian and Mightyena down the road. I just caught Lunatone and that's looking pretty good, so Ledian will be replaced by Lunatone soon.

I always keep my starter throughtout the game, then I try and raise a fairly balanced team. However, I tend to pick pokemon by my gut reaction to them, some I just like and they stay on my team. Others are there just to cover weaknesses and get changed when I find others I like more. For example, in my Pearl game I have a 'core team' of Empoleon, Luxray and Staraptor. I beat the elite four with these three, Rapidash, Golem and Gyarados, but now I tend to use Gallade, and I'm training up my Gible. Still haven't found a pokemon I connect with for my last slot though... And I keep the first pokemon of each species I like, I wouldn't think about switching my Luxray for a 'better' one with correct nature/ IVs/ EV trained, cos he's been through the whole game with me, he almost has a personality of his own :) Maybe slightly silly and sentimental, but I don't do competitive battling or anything so I don't care :p

I buy them on eBay.

I usually just go with the flow, although games like HGSS and Platinum I actually plan a team. For a new Gen. though I just find out pokemon as I progress through the game.

My party usually isn't particularly balanced. I have a range of move types, but not necessarily a range of Pokemon types. In Yellow Version at least half my regular party were psychic types (Mewtwo, Hypno, Exeggutor) and some of the others still knew psychic moves; in my Crystal it was the same with water types (Feraligatr, Red Gyarados, Suicune). I also noticed that Generation 2 the Pokemon that required taming to evolve, like Togetic and Umbreon, ended up becoming formidable parts of my "core" group. I have a Golbat on that game right now that I'm trying to evolve, and I think it's headed down that road too.

Otherwise, I'm not really sure how I chose them. Sometimes it was part of a conscious decision to create a party with a balanced set of moves or that would help defeat a particular gym leader, and I happened to notice that a certain Pokemon I had only pulled out for a particular purpose was actually powerful enough to warrant inclusion in my regular team. That happened with a Ledyba on my Crystal that I had pulled out only to level up to Ledian and complete the Pokedex. After it evolved, I kept it around for a while since it knew Headbutt, and discovered it was actually a pretty formidable fighter too. So it became a permanent member.

I get my Elite Four team by cathching neutral natures, give 'em pokerus and voila. After that I start to train other pokes I am a breeder, i've probably hacthed 100+ eggs.

Never had a team with more then 2 pokemon.
Red: Just Blastiose
Silver: Feraligatr and Tyranitar (but only after E4)
Ruby: Swampert and Swellow
Platinum: Staraptor and Infernape

And fill with low level HM users, who also act as subs so I can revive when mains fainted. I pretty much pro the E4 with a single pokemon.

I pick most of the Pokémon in advance, before even getting the game into my hands. Most of the pokes I want are not available to me right in the beginning of the game, which means I'll have to settle with the next best thing. I also tend to choose them by their types - there always is at least one ghost in my party, one psychic and one dark if there are any available in the beginning. I try to get different types so I can cover just about everything, especially considering the E4.

I usually do a ton of planning for my team before a game comes out, and I usually end up with a pretty kick-ass team.

I plan ahead, A LOT. I always stick with the team I created, even if I restarted the game, in PKMN Platinum. It's just easier then, and I know what to expect from them, if they go against some tough opponents.

So I usually take this group:

Fire - Infernape
Electric - Luxray
Water - Floatzel
Flying - Staraptor
Psychic - Espeon
Other - Giratina

Some take a while to get, like the Eevee, and Giratina, but I'm okay with that..:)

I usually build around my starter. Almost all my teams, though, typically consist of water, electric, and flying types, and the latter three depend on what I end up adding throughout the game (in the case of SS, a grass, fire, and ice type). I try to identify weaknesses and adjust accordingly.

At the start of the game, I usually just try to capture the first few pokemon I see and stick with them. Then, as I go along and find pokemon that I like (this can be based on stats, appeal to my tastes, or both) I kind of begin neglecting my older team and train new ones. I always keep my starter with me, though.

I pretty much just improvise and work with what's given to me. Usually the first time around, I'll stick with mostly early game Pokemon because its convenient and familiar, but in later playthroughs I cherry pick the best of the best to get through the game.

I got lucky in 4th gen though since a lot of early game Pokemon remained good through the game. Staraptor is honestly too good to be the final result of a common bird, and Roserade was not only a surprise from the very weak Budew, but it redeemed the previously lame Roselia in my mind.

I try to catch as many Pokemon as I can, one of each Pokemon that I come across. Then I'll just pick the ones I want out of the bunch and raise them. I always make sure I have at least one water type (too many water routes in these games) and a flying type for the Fly HM.
I'll stick with my starter to the bitter end, no matter what.

I usually just use like 3-4 pokemon and 1 or 2 HM slaves, so I just pick the first good Pokemon that I find which complements my starter and for the last one I just pick one of my favorites.

I usually get a team of 1 water pokemon, 1 fire, 1 grass or electric, a legendary, and 2 HM users.

The only exception was when the dragon elder guy gives you the dratini and I got bored and trained it.

For competitive play I get pokemon from other games and mix my teams.

Current best team with no legendaries (in order):

Espeon
Tyranitar
Garchomp
Swampert
Infernape
Salamence

i get my HM slaves sorted first (dragonite & poliwrath for HGSS - i traded eggs over from platinum) then i get psuedo HM slaves (claydol w/dig/headbutt/flash/teleport in HGSS) & "catchers" sorted (breloom w/spore & false swipe ftw! also, scrappy kangaskhan w/endeavour for ghosts) then i just fill the slots with anything that feels like fun - i usually get a mix of types to avoid weaknesses & give good attack coverage

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom