• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you handle HMs?

How do you handle HMs?

• HM Slave

Votes: 165 59.8%
  • Spread them out amoung my team.

Votes: 111 40.2%

• Total voters
Re: HM Slaves

Depends, sometimes I give my in-game team HMs like Surf, Waterfall, Fly, Strength, but for the weak stuff like Rock Smash and Cut, I give it to a Pokemon that can learn both and I don't plan on using in battle unless it's something I throw out to heal my Pokemon.

I only began to use a HM Slave on SS after having some problems on Plat because of HMs taking space on my main team. With the lack of trainers to battle with, one less team members is even beneficial. I use a furret for the useless Cut, Rock Smash, Whirpool and on the context of my team Surf. Feraligatr can carry the powerful Waterfall, Tauros benefits from STAB Strength and the only sacrificed one is Noctowl (low Attack, better for Sp. Attacks), because he is the only one who can learn Fly.

I always use HM slaves because most HMs are worthless.

I always HM Slave, honestly the only two HM's i ever use are Fly and surf and i dont use them all that often, so i just find dome foddle pokemon to do my bidding. and honestly i would rather keep that move space for something that is else, for example Dragon dance on my gyrarados most the people i know gave it surf. wht in a double battle it sucks and i really dont use it all that often. thank god for my perfect HM slave babbarel

I do not use HM slaves. I always have two water types on my team to balance the water HMs and distribute the rest to my other four. It always works out well for me. =/

Plus I have this insanely unreasonable guilt complex every time I have a Pokemon in my party that is not at the same level as the others. So, no HM slave for that reason too. xD

I try to balance out the HMs, too, because it's hard for a player with my playing style to find suiting pokemon, and i need all the pokies i can get if i wanna make it through a hard battle. An HM slave basically limits me to 5 or even 4 pokemon if i have 2... which would seriosly cripple me on the field.

For me, it's a little bit of both but I chose HM slave. I have a Tentacruel that I use for Surf/Whirlpool/Waterfall and Toxic Spikes so it isn't just wasting space. I have my main Physical attacker with Strength, and my Pidgeot with Fly. If I need anything else, like the rare occaision I need Cut/Rock Smash/Flash I'll just go to the PC and get one to do that.

I normally slave 'em, but in Diamond I have Torterra with Rock Smash, Staraptor with Fly, Lumineon with Surf+Defog and the rest goes to my Bibarrel. I think Bibarrel and Lopunny make the best HM Slaves as of Gen 4.

Well with the exception of Rock Smash I spread them out along with my pokemons attack and special attack

The only HMs I teach to my main team are Fly, Waterfall and Surf. The others go to a slave.

I usually put Surf and fly on my team and rock smash, whirlpool, and strength on a slave.

In Ruby i had a tropius with Fly, Cut, Rock Smash, and either Flash or Strenth.

Surf and Fly I usually spread out since I always found those useful, both in the overworld and in the battle.
For the rest of the HM's I use slaves.

Bah...if only bibarel could fly...
Anyway, it's better to use HM slaves IMO. In the long run, you only need one pokemon that does all the cutting/smashing/etc.

I don't like HM Slaves honestly. However I do use them now, being that they tend to ruin my Pokemon in move set wise.

I usually teach at least one HM to all of my party Pokemon, so I always have all of the HMs available to use and I'm never stuck with an obstacle and without the right HM to remove it. However if a HM is really rubbish in battle and I'm not going to need to use it on the field very often, I'll teach it to a Pokemon in the PC, and withdraw it when I need to use that HM.

I have two HM slaves: a level 20 Gyarados and a level 16 Furret. It's really sad. Then I have a Xatu that Flashes and Flies. I hate HM's whirlpool, strength, cut, and rock smash. They're so useless, especially cut. When do you ever actually need to use it?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom