• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you handle HMs?

How do you handle HMs?

• HM Slave

Votes: 165 59.8%
  • Spread them out amoung my team.

Votes: 111 40.2%

• Total voters
Re: HM Slaves

I always have to have my trusty HM slave, except fly, surf, and waterfall

The only time I distribute HMs around my team was in Yellow, there was only 5 HMs so it's easy to do so.

Personally, I try to make them as even as possible, mainly just so I can distribute other moves more evenly in co-ordance with the HMs. However, I have found in HeartGold that, mainly just due to the team I'm raising, that the best option was to give Quagisre three HMs and distribute the rest relatively evenly, or as evenly as possible.

Mostly, in all the other games I actually, once I've beaten the main game, I remove all my main team's HM move and teach one HM to one Pokémon (somthing easy to remember, like giving Scyther specifically Cut) that remains boxed until needed. However, this doesn't apply to moves like Fly, Surf and (in Platinum more than HeartGold) Rock Climb as I find myself using them both inside and outside of battle very often.

I voted for distribute evenly though because it has only been in HeartGold that I have anything worht calling an HM slave.

Tarar HM slaves *mwah*

:( i cheat and use pokesav to make a gyrados with strength, whirlpool, waterfall, and cut, and another with strength, whirlpool, waterfall, and fly.....not sure why a gyrados.....i switch one for the other once i get fly

I think using HM slaves is against the whole idea of them, so I'm trying to avoid using any during the storyline. In SS, I had to put Whirlpool and Waterfall to a non-party Pokémon, though.

I use floatzel as my HM slave on platinum. Mine knows Strength, Rock smah, Surf, and Waterfall. I don't really have Hm slaves on other games though.

I generally use HM slaves because I'm too lazy to go to the Move Deleter whenever I want to delete HM moves.
It's easier for me to just stick them on a few Pokemon and go.

I always have on 'semi slave', such as machamp, who has three hms and 1 useful battle move. the rest I just spread around equally.

hmm... i always thought thats what Geodudes and Seakings where made for XD. but yes. i use HM slaves.

Rock Smash, Strength, Whirlpool/Flash/Defog and Cut: I used Slaves.
Dive/Rock Climb, Waterfall, Surf, Fly: Why not use them in battles?

Surf, Strength, Dive, Waterfall, Fly, and Rock Climb are good enough moves. Rock Smash, Flash, Defog, Cut, and Whirlpool? Not so much.

I'd agree that moves like Surf, Waterfall, Dive, and Fly are perfectly usable in battle (I'm not a fan of Rock Climb's terrible accuracy though).

Rock Smash, Cut, and Flash, I'd say early in the game they could be perfectly usable in battle. Though, not later in the game of course.

Whirlpool could probably find its place in some creative movesets, but I honestly don't think Defog ever deserved to see the light of day.

HM Slaves. With the exception of Fly, Surf and Waterfall.

I use HMs like Surf and Fly in battles with my Palkia and Staraptor but otherwise I use an HM slave for other things when traveling.

Sandslash and Gyarados are my slaves.

Last edited:

i agree with squirtleman in that some are usable throughout the games whereas some are only appropriate in lowlevel parts of the game. othrers still dont deserve a place on any moveset of any pokemon.(ie flash defog)however i try to incorperate (ugh spelling..) the hms into my team whenever i can. in some situations you are forced to bring your strongest team as well as horribly weak hms (hinthint: spear pillar (esp platinum)) and that sucks if one vital space in your team is taken up by "poop" the level 26 bibarel. it really depends on 1. the game(which is assumed to encompass locations, situations,the accessible pokemon, and the varying hm sets) and 2. how evil i feel at the moment. >:D

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom