• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you handle HMs?

How do you handle HMs?

• HM Slave

Votes: 165 59.8%
  • Spread them out amoung my team.

Votes: 111 40.2%

• Total voters
Re: HM Slaves

I personally use Bibarel/Nidoran family
in Platty and HG respectively.

Some of the HM's arent to bad, like Surf, waterfall, Fly, Strength. However Rock Smash, cut, rock climb and im assuming the 8th is whirlpool or something cause i just got the whirl islands at the 6th or 5th gym.

I usually spread them out when im leveling up in the game. Since there is 6 pokemon to a team, and 8 HM's. What i do is get 1 flying type for fly, 2 water types for the water HM's and spread them usualy Surf on one, and the other 2 on the other water type. Then i put 2 on my rock/ground type like rock smash and strength or, rock smash and rock climb. Then the other HM's i just put 1 on each pokemon.

I dont need 4 moves to play the game, usually i only use 1 or 2 moves anyway. However once i start EV training and breeding yes i usually have a HM slave or 2 and teach them all the HM's. Keeping my real pokemon HM free, unless i want them to learn surf.

Always use slaves. Mainly Bibarel and Skarmory.

I used a Tropius as a slave in my first Plat run, but it wasn't part of my main party and I got tired of having to sacrifice an entire party slot just for the sake of not wanting to use an HM, so I just make sure I always have all the HMs in my party. In my SS run I'm using a Technician for Cut and Rock Smash :3

I used Rayquaza as my HM Slave, when I played Emerald. He did his job well, lol.

I really don't have any specific HM slave in my team or teach HM moves for my team mates. Some moves like Surf or if my water monster is more physical based, then Waterfall, are okay though. When I'm going to a cave or somewhere, I'll just pick some pokémon from PC and teach some useful moves to it. After that, it goes in PC again.

I don't like HM Slaves honestly.

I used to think that too but when I became semi-interested in competitive play I quickly realised that its nigh impossible to use you're in-game competitively without keeping at least one slave to help you progress.

the only Hms on my team are Fly on my honchkrow since it so useful (and not a bad battling move) and waterfall on my feraligatr, and that one's only there instead of Aqua Tail for its 20% flinch rate.

I think my favorite HM slave ever was Linoone in third gen a slave, it battled. And using its pickup ability is probably the best luck I ever had in a game, I got tons of good stuff.

4th gen was pretty spread out. Surf and Waterfall to the water pokemon, Defog (ugh...) and Fly to the flying pokemon, etc. No real dedicated slave.

Soulsilver has my red Gyarados with all three water moves. Waterfall is amazing for him since its a physical attack, and surf is there for accuracy. Wirlpool sucks in battle and only has two real uses in the overworld as far as I know, I can't stand it.

A little of both, actually. I have a Machop (aptly named "HM Slave") and a few other Pokemon that can help me when my team can't get through.

Currently I use a Sandshrew and the Red Gyarados. In D/P Bibarel was no slave, he was my HM savior. Pretty sure he could learn all of them, or most at least.

As for the multiple water HMs, I really wish there was a way to consolidate them into one... like just one big water HM.

I try to spread them out amoung my party, so that I don't have the hassle to keep switching Pokemon in and out of my PC everytime I have to get somewhere... with at least one HM per Pokemon. The only case that I can think of is that I'm going to have to use a Whooper in SoulSilver, so that I can use Whirpool while teaching Waterfall and Surf to a Lapras.

I used to spread my HM's out then, there was too many HM's for one type like water in Generation III. That kind of makes you use HM slaves

I don't usually have an HM Slave, but in HG near the end I had to. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY HMs? It really is getting ridiculous.

I spread them out for the rest of the game though, usually only having Fly, Surf, Strength, Cut, and Rock Smash on me at all times.

I, by some miracle, got through SS with an HM Slave that wasnt in my party. The only weak HM i taught to a party member was cut. I just used my HM slave four times (Ice Path, Whirl Islands, Victory Road, Tohjo Falls and actually two deifferent slaves for the last two because i crossed Tohjo falls, went to reception gate, flew to Cherrygrove, got Rock Slave, and went through Victory Road. I Pearl though, my Bibaral was a BIG HM slave but i kept it all the way until the E4 and it was lv. 55.
For Emerald I spread, and all my other games before that I was too stupid to know anything (Venasaur with Cut)

Well... if the HM moves are made more decent at least, then we would be able to use them on main team, but due to the fact they are really weak in battle, it leaves then almost useless.

on heart gold, a snorlax I caught (the one blocking diglett's cave) and I taught it surf,whirlpool, and rock climb. I didnt teach Feraligatr it because that move sucks for a feraligatr. instead, i taught my feraligatr waterfall. but, mostly its spread around.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom