• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

If YOU Were Making a Live-Action Pokémon Movie (Series?)

Nay, good sir! I thought long and hard! ^_^

It didn't seem like it, but I'll take your word for it.

But look at the factors that Dragonball and Pokemon share: Both based on japanese media with a HUGE mythology which is difficult to squeeze into a 90 minute production for kids. And, dispite my wish for a more "mature" Pokemon movie, we all know that the execs would hardsell it into a nice packaged form to sell more Happy Meals. Dragonball did NOT live up to fan's expectations, that's the point I'm making...

Well, people were expecting it to be of the same caliber as those two other examples I mentioned. If it had come out back when Star Wars was still new, Dragonball Evolution would have almost outsold it and would have come close to putting George Lucas out of a job. It's hard to make a movie live up to its fans expectations when you can only afford outdated techniques.

As for the executives wanting to use it to sell Happy Meals, they kinda did it with Transformers 2 - Revenge of the fallen, and I wouldn't let young kids see that.

I really want to.

I'm not asking if you have the time or permission, I'm asking if you have the creative talent and artistic license. It's harder to write from scratch than it is to base it off of an existing story.

Hey, hear me out. I'm not denying the Pokemon's cute. But beyond the contests and the Pokelathon and the dress-ups the bare bones of Pokemon is humans pitting creatures head to head for profit. It's not the only part to the world, but it's there. I think that the cutesy stuff was done in the series already. The movie would need to ramp things up to capture a new audience.

What I was actually saying was that the majority of the audience that would see it is between the ages of 14 and 18. A PG-13 movie would be best, since it wouldn't be childish and yet it wouldn't be inappropriate for those ages.

Okay, I conceed that point... But I still feel redoing the anime into live-action wouldn't do anything new for the series.

I never said anything about remaking the anime. That is a definite no for me.

Even though we all know Hollywood has a terrible habit of screwing up video game/anime based movies...

If I was in charge of the movie and had total control over what went into it. I would do something like this:

The first movie would be based on the region of Kanto. (Subsequent movies would focus on one region but not neccessarily in order.)

Would include the all of original 151 pokemon somehow. (In the background scenery or used by the characters.) True fans watching the movie will be able to spot and name them all.

An original plot different from the games or anime.
(One that occurred before or after the plot of the Red/Blue versions.) Because a movie that was the video game directly translated would be pretty dull.

A richly detailed world.
I want people to say when they watch my movie: "I wish Kanto really existed..."

Hold casting calls at conventions. XD
There are some really good cosplayers out there who not only look like who they're potraying but know how to act like them too. This is how I'd get most of my gym leader actors.

I would probably make a little over two hours long and have it be PG-13.

That's just some of the features I'd have.

Last edited:
while generation 2 is easily my favorite, generation 3 would be easiest to make a movie, here's my spin:

Intro:

Detective Wallace Green, private eye, is a veteran retired detective, living with his son Wally and his wife in Vanderf town. He gets a call from Police Commanding Officer Jenny - she's desperate for his help on a tough case. He leaves to meet her - next scene he comes back home and talks to Wally. (camera is in viewpoint of Wally) He tells him how he's gonna need Wally for his case. Two folders are put in front of the camera. One red. One blue. Wally opens the red file as his father talks about team magma. Interestingly, Brandon, son of gym leader Norman, has joined them, but the police have determined him to have other motives for joining than believing their cause. Maxie leads Magma and his goals are unknown, but are believed to be related to Groudon in some way. Wally opens the blue file, and his father explains about team aqua. Archie's goal is obvious - he wants to expand the sea through kyogre. Archie is more simple minded than Maxie so the police aren't as concerned about him. May, daughter of the famous pokemon researcher Professor Birch, has joined Aqua, she truly believes their cause. after Detective Wallace finishes talking, he begins to leave the room, then adds; "this isn't your usual pokemon battle boy. This is why I'm coming out of retirement. We aren't talking about a robbery or even a hostage situation here. These criminals have guns - and know how to use em. they're screwed up and will die for their cause. God knows what the hell they're up to, but my job is to find out. Thats why i need you. Brains and my 9 mm won't cut it in this case. You think you can handle it, son?" Wally nods yes and movie starts.

Plot:

This film would be about Detective Wallace and Wally's actions trying find out Magma's motives and stopping Magma and Aqua. A full tilt action movie - PG-13 to R. Wally, May, and Brandon would be 17-18. It would be dark and the climax would be the battle between; Rayquaza vs Groudon and Kyogre, The police vs teams magma and aqua, and the personal conflicts between Wally, May, and Brandon.

Wally is the good guy with his dad. the hero
Brandon is the vilante. he joined magma to stop aqua but doesn't agree with maxie, who is well aware of Brandon's motive. he is also the best trainer of the three trainer characters.
May is the anti-hero. shes bored and joins aqua for some action in her life. She may or may not realize the mistake she made.

May or may not include corrupted gym leaders/elite four members funding either team.
may or may not have a Steven Stone aiding Wally subplot.

actors would be up for grabs i have no clue. but i would not have the blue hair of Jenny or pink hair of Nurse Joy. we keep it realistic. Groudon is flinging lava everywhere, Kyogre will send a tidal wave on Lilycove. lot of action.

and for those wimps who want a romantic subplot - NO. thats the worst thing you could do to a movie like this.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If I had to produce a series, would be entirely based on games, with the necessary liberties. Each game would be a season of about 10 or 15 episodes. The main characters would be young adults, not 10-16 years old teenagers. And the genre would be more adventure, suspense, drama and sci-fi at some extent. The narrative would be a bit like pokemon special, focused more on the villain team.

If I could choose an actor and rejuvenate some of them, the cast would look similar to this:
Red: Evan Peters
Leaf: Gemma Arterton
Blue: Jamas Franco: (He play jerks very well).
Lyra: Christa b allen
Ethan: Adam Brody
Silver: Harry Lloyd
May: Sarah Bolger
Brendam: Michael Cera
Wally: Logan Lerman
Dawn: Camila Belle
Lucas: Ian Somerhalder (just for eyegasm, and for people stop complaining about his outfit (LOL))
Barry: Fran Kranz
Hilda: Emily Browning
Hilbert: Ashton Kutcher
Bianca: Samaire Armstrong
Cheren: Ezra Miller
Rosa: Evan Rachel Wood
Nate: Andrew Garfield
Hugh: Josh Bowman
Serena: Blake Lively
Calem: Gaspard Ulliel
Iris: Gugu mbatha-raw
Cynthia: Claire Danes
I had no idea for Alder, Steven Stone, Wallace, N and other champions, and now i’m lazy to think. But so, what you though? Horrible? Okay? Worthy of Oscar? :sweatlol::sweatlol::sweatlol:

but seriously, I hope it never happens because adaptation of games and anime are almost always treated as waste in hollywood.
But taking into account productions like Lord of the Rings, Jurassic Park, Avatar, there is technology enough to adapt pokemon without becoming ridiculous or fake.
The biggest problem would be the script and similar problems.

I'd love for a live-action TV series to be based on a main group of Gym Leaders and a new character (which, if you know me, means Jimmy, Flannery, Winona, and Wallace) facing different challenges each episode. It'd be kind of a mix of action and comedy, and have a lot of notable characters from the games and anime. Basically, think a live-action Pokemon version of Teen Titans '03.

Also, I really only know Jimmy should be played by Devon Bostick, who played Rodrick in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies and currently plays Jasper Jordan on The 100. I can easily see Jimmy as a more mature and much smarter version of Movie!Rodrick.

Last edited:
N is Michael Jackson
and Nicholas cage plays Red and all protagonists
Brad Pitt is Steven Stone
Tom Cruise is a team galactic spy
Leonardo Dicaprio is Lysandre, the millionaire businessman who just poise and look good
George Clooney is Norman, your charming father
Meryl streep is Grace, your suffering and lone mother
Keanu Reeves is the Dragon tamer with a dark cloak

↑↑↑↑↑
Lmfao
Brad Pitt and Nicolas Cage togheter... lacked Jean Claude Van Damme, Mel Gibson, Paris Hilton and Marilyn Monroe in your cast

Actually I think a Pokemon live action can work, with a more mature story, following the games. But Pokemon has a stigma of being childish and people think automatically of Ash Ketchum, so it may be a failure.

So this an amateur fan made movie, i would like to see something like this, but of course, with MUCH better actors, more realistic Pokemon, and better production.

Also i found this video, is visually nice, but the acting is weird

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70wmTCBw7Xg

On the topic of Pokemon and movies, they should probably stray away from making one based on the Delta Episode. If you've ever seen Armageddon... yeah.

You are laughing but Nicolas Cage as Red will win the Oscar

N is Michael Jackson
and Nicholas cage plays Red and all protagonists
Brad Pitt is Steven Stone
Tom Cruise is a team galactic spy
Leonardo Dicaprio is Lysandre, the millionaire businessman who just poise and look good
George Clooney is Norman, your charming father
Meryl streep is Grace, your suffering and lone mother
Keanu Reeves is the Dragon tamer with a dark cloak

Cannot unsee from my mind. Thanks a lot. D=

If were a movie or series in realistic CG like Resident Evil: degeneration, would be epic. Would be mostly a live action, and the characters models could be based on real actors.
There's pretty good images of realistic Pokemons in the internet.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom