• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview M20: I Choose You!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not yet anyway
Movie titles are never as misleading as you seem to think this one is. What usually happens is that they just reveal a mythical Pokemon and add it to the title.

You're expecting the title to be retconned so that it is no longer a blatant reference to Ash's beginning? Not to mention the redesigned OS Ash who would make no sense in your dream script.

Maybe this is going to sound Genwunner'ish of me, but the concept of this actually appeals to me. Not because this movie appears to be based on the OS, but because it looks like they're foregoing the tired formula for something a lot more basic.

Honestly after the Celebi movie, I stopped caring about Pokemon movies. Part of the reason was because I grew out of that, part of it because I stopped caring about the anime, and part of it because the legendary-of-the-movie formula got old really fast. Plus I never liked how the legendary encounters almost never tied in to the anime series. You would think such a major, apocalyptic event would be something that would remain on the minds of the characters, but it doesn't. At least in Mewtwo Strikes Back everyone's memory was wiped.

I just hope there isn't some dramatic plot revolving around Ho-Oh in this.

Obligatory social commentary for the day: I remember back when "genwunners" were the bane of every self-respecting fan's life. I feel like the tables have now turned 180°. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the thread this morning and saw so much overwhelming negativity. Why do some of you despise Kanto so much? Isn't it obvious why it is the "favourite" of the franchise? You wouldn't have your Mimikyus and your variation monster balls and your Serenas without the first generation. Maybe the 20th anniversary is a good opportunity for some of you to get rid of that chip on your shoulders. Not liking gen 1 doesn't make you a better fan than the "losers" who don't know that there are pokemon after Mewtwo.

First of all, I don't think too many people here actually said that they despise Kanto. Most of the negative reactions in this thread boil down to finding Kanto overrated, overused or just plain burned out from the Kanto favoritism we've gotten for awhile. Many people would argue that X/Y had a bit of Kanto favoritism going, so it wouldn't be just to this year. That doesn't sound like despising Kanto. I understand that Kanto is where the franchise first began and they'd want to focus on that a lot for a big anniversary celebration. That's all well and good, but it does make it harder for other generations to shine as much. A franchise's anniversary should celebrate its whole history, not just its beginning series or generation in this case. I recognize that we wouldn't be where we are without Kanto, but I'd prefer for the to focus a bit more equally on all of the generations.

I also don't really like the whole condescending vibe I'm getting from wanting people to get rid of that chip on their shoulders. That does give the impression that disliking or not being super happy for Kanto is a problem. Not everyone grew up with Kanto and even for those who did, it might not be their favorite generation. You don't have to absolutely love where a series started out to be a fan either. No one was acting as if anyone who doesn't know any Pokemon after Mewtwo are losers and I'm pretty sure no one here is acting like disliking generation one makes them a better fan. The second generation was my first generation and even with traveling through Kanto in those games, I have way more nostalgic fondness for Johto than I ever do for Kanto. Now I don't dislike Kanto to be cool. I just find it overrated, pretty bare compared to most of the other regions and I am kind of burned out from Kanto favoritism after Sun/Moon. Like I said, I understand that they want to make a big deal about the anime's beginning for its own anniversary, but I'm just not a huge fan of the first generation or of the original anime series for that matter and I don't think that personal preference should be considered a chip on my shoulder.

After being burned out from the movie legendaries, I hope that Ho-Oh on the poster is nothing more than a reference to Ash's beginning and not a plot device. Or at the least, feature it as a recurring character but don't tie it to some major plot. Ho-Oh in episode 1 was nothing more than the Ho-Oh from the Burned Tower, or at least that's what Ash believed.

Is it really so bad that I don't want another legendary-tied plot?

Movie titles are never as misleading as you seem to think this one is. What usually happens is that they just reveal a mythical Pokemon and add it to the title.

You're expecting the title to be retconned so that it is no longer a blatant reference to Ash's beginning? Not to mention the redesigned OS Ash who would make no sense in your dream script.

I'm not expecting anything. Especially since a 30-second teaser with barely any footage much to go on. I'm just saying.

For all we know, this might be an AU story where Ash gets Clefairy as his partner (and deals with TR members Sundance and Kid) ;)/:LOL:

I think regardless of whether it's just going to focus on Kanto or try to get some references in to every region, I'm just glad they're finally mixing things up and we're getting some legitimate references to the past (vague mentions of Dawn's Piplup don't cut it). And if they used Kaze to Issho ni as the ending then the rest of the movie can be shit for all I care because I'll be satisfied.

Okay maybe not but you get what I mean

I hope that they have Squirtle and Bulbasaur evolve rather than just focusing on Charizard.

But I'm certainly fine with Charizard being disobedient until the league and giving it more story focus that way.

Butterfree departing is sadly fated to happen even in a reboot. Pidgeot, though? Not really.

I bet Ho-oh will still be a quick appearance and never have a proper movie appearance.

Guys, you're all talking about Brock and Misty and Team Rocket and Charizard possibly coming back, but do you realize Gary could be back? How come nobody's talking about dear Gary??

Gary was the one who sparked the rivalry between him and Ash from the very first day! Gary was the one who motivated Ash by the excitement of having a challenging rival - another major feature of the pokemon series. Gary started it all and his existence is just as important as the others. I don't mind anyone else appearing (although I dislike Misty), but I'm going to be really happy if Gary is coming back in top swag.

and yes I support Palletshipping

Yeah I want them to go into more detail about how Ash and Gary fell out. Did they have a fight over something, or did Gary just start being an asshole one day?

I'd also like some backstory for Pikachu, what it was doing at Prof. Oak's lab etc.

Wait, if the movie was a total reboot, then how would it explain the teaser trailer we've got during M19? Maybe it'll end up as Pikachu Special appearance, or it could be our context clues towards main plot where Ash went introduced by Alola Pokemon which I think was beyond possibility.

Yeah I want them to go into more detail about how Ash and Gary fell out. Did they have a fight over something, or did Gary just start being an asshole one day?
If Ash's and Gary's relationship is anything like the backstory to Generation I, then yes, Gary did just start being an asshole one day.

The M19 teaser was incredibly generic. July teasers have been misleading before, but December ones give a good idea of what to expect.

And we learned about Ash and Gary's backstory during the Johto League. They could certainly explain the dynamics better here, though.

I do worry that if they remake the first episode, they will soften Pikachu's personality. Remember, the electric mouse was a major asshole when we first saw him. I don't want Ash and Pikachu to be already be all buddy buddy when they first meet.

Last edited:
Heh, the Pikachu we know wouldn't give a damn when Ash attempted to catch a Pidgey. I swear it's the best of what it does back in first episode.

My problem isn't a logical one, it's an emotional one. It's totally irrational but I can't help but feel a little pang of jealousy every time something new is announced but it's only focusing on Gen 1. Like why can't they focus on the part of Pokémon that I love. And I realize how childish that sounds typed out.
I totally get that! It's not childish, it's very honest and I salute you for that. Normally when I don't get my way with the Pokemon anime I try to rationalise it big time so I don't have to admit that it's my heart which is paining! :p

This would be the first pokemon movie that would be a complete failure in my opinion. The title itself says what the movie is about. I Choose You is the name of Episode one of the anime series. They are basically doing a copy and paste.

Seriously, everyone understands your obvious disdain for this movie. You mostly bring up negativity in all of your posts in this thread. You're free to express your opinion in any way you see fit; however, I feel as if it's not furthering along this discussion at all in any way possible besides saying you are displeased with it even though you haven't seen it yet and by the sounds of it, you won't see it. There are a lot of people including me that are beyond excited for this movie and franchise.

Please don't take this harshly. I feel like most of the time you provide a great counterpoint to any discussion, but so far all you are stating is how horrible you think this will be. I'm not a moderator obviously, but I implore you to provide more positivity in your thoughts and posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom